May buy a 100 tomorrow - what is this pipe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone - looking at a 100 Series LC to buy since I sold my 80 last year. Need some quick advice, as I am not super mechanical. What is the rusty pipe circled in this picture? Is it difficult/ costly to replace? Thanks all!

IMG_9909 copy.jpg

That's part of the exhaust.

Y pipe, if you buy a new exhaust it should come attached with those pipes.

Thanks for the input! Yep, it will need tires soon, I agree, and a couple of exhaust pipes and a muffler.....frame seems pretty good though at least.

anyone used this kit by chance? Amazon product ASIN B00M788Y2O

Last edited:
Poor tires, they look sad

If by “soon” you mean two years ago. Then I agree.
That amazon special exhaust will be just as rusty in a year. Why spend the time and labor replacing a rusty exhaust, if it's not cracked or leaking then why bother?

Thx, all. I should probably start a new thread for this question but, if the LC is not currently running, is there a way to tell if it has a blown head gasket? I know I can look at the oil and also at the radiator fluid, but won't be able to tell if there is white smoke coming out of the back. I'll get the sellers input re: the HG, but no way to verify if the truck won't start before I buy it. Thx

Compression test would be a test you can do, but why are you thinking it's a bad head gasket . What happens when you then the key? How much are they selling the vehicle for ?

That amazon special exhaust will be just as rusty in a year. Why spend the time and labor replacing a rusty exhaust, if it's not cracked or leaking then why bother?
Was Talking about the tires bud.

Frankly, if you're not mechanically inclined I would highly recommend against buying a non-running Cruiser. You could spend more than your purchase price paying a shop to get it running. Not trying to be a "Debbie-downer", just offering some food for thought. By the time you buy it and pay someone to get it running you could very well have bought a nicer and well maintained Cruiser. Just something to think about.

Good luck!

Head gaskets on the 100 series don't go bad unless the engine has been overheated. And why is the vehicle not running? A bad head gasket wouldnt cause the engine to not run unless it was ran until the death of the engine.

Head gaskets on the 100 series don't go bad unless the engine has been overheated. And why is the vehicle not running? A bad head gasket wouldnt cause the engine to not run unless it was ran until the death of the engine.

Thanks, yes that's what I thought. The truck had a bad battery with battery acid oozing out of it. We were able to replace the battery and the 100 started right up! I was in a hurry on Friday and was just wondering about how to check for head gasket issues just in case I still wanted to buy the truck even if it wouldn't start with the new battery. Thanks everyone

Frame looks good.

Get that battery acid neutralized with some spray, hose it down with a ton of water all over and then hit with baking soda and go back in there once a week to hose it out and do more neutralizer. Once its good and clean spray down with some low gloss white paint/primer.

Battery acid contact is no good but can be easily mitigated and definitely not a reason to not pick it up if you can get a great deal on it.

Do a leak down and compression test on it before buying if you suspect head gasket at all. It will get you a good fundamental health report back.

Last edited:
are you concerned about the head gasket because you come from the 80 series world or something happened to the truck?

are you concerned about the head gasket because you come from the 80 series world or something happened to the truck?

Well, I did have an 80 until I sold it last year. On this one I was just worried it might not start even with a new battery, so I was trying to figure out how to tell the condition of the head gasket even if it wouldn't start. I'm all set now though, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom