Maximum speaker mounting depth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the deepest mounting depth that can be used in the front door stock location? From reading ALL the posts, I see that Stresspuppy fit 2.5" deep MB Premiums in the stock location and only needed to expand the panel hole. I'd like to do a similar install, but with slightly deeper speakers. Anyone know if this is possible, or would I have to go the route of 97cruiser and redesign the door panel?

Read the thread in the 80s sticky section. 1 7/8 is the deepest i think.

Use the search and you will find that you will need to mod to fit anything that deep.

Stay at less than 2'' for sure. Any more than that will hit the window track unless you do some major custom work.

ok non 80's but on my 60 in the doors I needed to use washers to prevent the window from hitting the speaker. I just used washers as shims and actually had about 3-4 washers per screw. It worked and the door panel still fit. My speaker was a sony explode. so pretty deep.

I used Diamond Audio components that were 2 1/8" deep in the front doors but used the supplied grill since I did not care about the original look.

mooker82 said:
I used Diamond Audio components that were 2 1/8" deep in the front doors but used the supplied grill since I did not care about the original look.

Thats good to know, I'll have to look into Diamonds a little more. What did you have to do for install, any cutting involved? Where did you put the tweeters? Do you think something a little deeper could have gone in and still used used the factory location?

Thanks Perk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom