Events/Trails March 19-21: Two Night (one if you prefer) Club Campout in Dixie Valley (1 Viewer)

Attending?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
What: 2 Night Club Camping Trip
When: Friday March 19, 2021 @1PM (If you wanna come but have to work, then come on up on Saturday!)
Trailboss:
Various
Where: Dixie Valley
Meet Up
: Friday Morning: Maverik Gas Station, Fallon. Friday evening or Sat morning: 39.523750, -118.015167
Travel Time: Varies
What to Bring: Cool weather gear (layers), water, food, camping gear, recovery gear, HAM radio.
Frequencies: 146.460 alt 146.052

Use the poll to RSVP so we know who to expect and how many rigs will be on the trail.

Details

This is a new trip for the club, but my research seems to indicate that it is a mild run with opportunities for more challenging trails once we make it into the valley. This is an old WWII army site used for training and anti-tank operations. There are still tanks and relics and sites to explore. More details to follow...

We will meetup in Fallon to arrive at camp and setup and relax or explore as desired.

1614523839019.png

Saturday will be the trail day. We will pack up Sunday and head out with enough time to get home at a decent hour. To my knowledge no one who's explored this area will be on this trip so this will be a true exploration. I charted one route through the Stillwater Range but it may not pan out.

1614366509837.png

@skidooman shared a bunch of coordinates for trail's he's explored but I haven't had time to sort them out and get them charted. PM me if you want to help with that effort. I am thinking there will plenty of time for everyone to explore and hopefully chart some routes in small groups or solo while we are out there.

@hairy_apple and some of Toyotally Awesome Cruiser's may also join us for this event.

Last edited:
Trying to remember all the places mentioned...

• Dixie Valley
  • Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park
  • Bass Camp
  • ???
Just a though but maybe the poll should be about the place? Can we have two polls on one thread?

I found a neat trail possibility in Dixie Valley that takes us by several mines, vistas, peaks, and valleys through the Stillwater Range. 42-miles.

1613198096105.png

That route may/may not be doable that early in the year due to snow, depending on how winter finishes out. I unfortunately wont be able to make that weekend due to a prior engagement... However, I can help out with routes before hand since I spend a ton of time in that area.
There is a pretty neat trail through what's called Arterial canyon in the Sand Springs Range, which is basically the same mountain string as the Stillwaters, just south of Highway 50. You could string that together with another trail that runs up Bench Creek over to the old Wonder mine, and from there either back to 50 in Dixie Valley, or north to Horse Creek, which has a good camp spot in it. Depending on speed of the group, you might be able to that together in a day. Headed back toward Fallon on Sunday you may also be able to incorporate a trail called Bobcat. Its a pretty cool trail over the Stillwaters, but snow might be the hangup. I did Bobcat last year the first week in April and it was snow free.
I can probably pre-run that first day stuff and see if it can be done in a day, and maybe track it? I'm very un-techy on the computer map stuff. Anything other than google earth is pretty over my head...
I'm actually really bummed, I have been wanting to share this stuff with others... If you guys are interested in any of that let me know.
On edit, I have done all of that in my 80, open/open, no sliders, on 35s with no problem. There is a little waterfall in Arterial that might be kind of rough for stock stuff... I think there is a bypass though.

Last edited:
I voted for Berlin as my girls would love it, but I'm game for wherever.

It is on my list too. Not sure what sorts of trails are available around it and IDK if COVID has impacted access to anything in the park either. Would you mind doing a little research on it and let us know @lelandEOD ?

It is on my list too. Not sure what sorts of trails are available around it and IDK if COVID has impacted access to anything in the park either. Would you mind doing a little research on it and let us know @lelandEOD ?
Between Middle Gate and Gabbs there are a couple of of rock hound sites off the main HWY.
If you continue through Berlin there is a FS road that cuts over to SR22. It's been a long time since we went that way but I recall there being some pretty decent places to camp on the east slope of the Shoshone mountains.
The last trip we made to Berlin the campground was crowded so we went north on SR844 towards Ione. Where 844 crested the mountain we found a side road and boon docked for the night, this might be an option if the Campground is closed for Covid. This is probably a better route if the road conditions are less than optimal.

SR21 goes north to Austin in case you want to re-fuel and grab lunch the next day.

We have taken 2/722 which cuts S of Bald mountain. It is on our list to go back and camp in the Bald Mountain area.

FYI: @hairy_apple was at Berlin a few months ago and all the attractions and buildings are closed due to the pandemic. He said they spent 45 walking around looking through windows.

1613745441288.png

If this is still the case, then I'll probably pass on this trip. The juice ain't worth the squeeze for me.

Yeah, Berlin was a bit of a disappointment. I had expected a lot more, and it was cool, but it alone wouldn't be worth a drive out into the middle of BFE for me. We hit it as part of a larger trip, so it was a nice lunch spot, but the town is only worth about 30-45 minutes, and the building with the dino bones was closed for the rona and no tours were being done. I was expecting more Bodie size ghost town, and in reality it's like 5 buildings. The mill was very cool, but that was the highlight. It's WAY out there and didn't seem like there was much wheeling around it. A crappy "town" nearby (indian reservation) and some graded dirt roads.

The parts of Dixie Valley I have been to, have been pretty epic. The airshow alone is awesome out there... Fallon flies some cool stuff. The valley of tanks is on my short list. There are several ghost towns, and the next valley up, or maybe it is in Dixie is Wonder Nevada, a pretty impressive mill site. Very large ruins. There was a town out there with a vault, I have no idea where, or if it's still there. IT was 20 years ago I saw it, but I remember a crumbling building with a large safe/vault type thing.

I would like to attend this even. Will be the first real run for my FJ55. Will try get a few weeken runs to make sure all ship-shape before the event.

View attachment 2591665
Break the tie in the poll! 😁

Post up here if you wanna hits trial between now and the camping trip. Just give us a few days heads up and maybe one or more of us will join you.

Break the tie in the poll! 😁

Post up here if you wanna hits trial between now and the camping trip. Just give us a few days heads up and maybe one or more of us will join you.
I changed my vote from Berlin to Dixie valley. Will try hit some trails next Saturday. Something close to Reno. Any suggestions that will be somewhat like Dixie Valley?

I changed my vote from Berlin to Dixie valley. Will try hit some trails next Saturday. Something close to Reno. Any suggestions that will be somewhat like Dixie Valley?

You don't have to change votes! LOL I didn't realize you had already voted. I will leave trail recommendations to some of the other club members that know the area better than me. I would do Jumbo with you, but I'll be in Grass Valley next weekend working on my 40. I should be around the following weekend though.

I can't commit to next Saturday yet, but ping me later in the week - as Tony said Jumbo is a good option and I might be able to run it with you. Start no later than 10 and you can get lunch up in VC, then decide if you want to explore further or just take the highway home.

I voted Dixie because I haven't done it. Any thoughts on towing the Jumping Jack?

I think the area is perfect for a quad, motorcycle or SxS if that's what you mean. Sand Mountain is right there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom