Manufacture Months/Years and Frame Numbers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
I am posting up pertinent production date information with frame numbers which 7x series owners can use as reference when you need parts since some parts supersede mid-month/mid-production.

With this information you can even break it down further with actual day of the week your truck was manufactured.

Generally speaking, the Honsha frame plant assigns the VIN/frame number when it is manufactured (Plant A11). The frames were then shipped across town to the Arakawa Auto Body Yoshiwara Plant (during that time period .... Then ARACO--early 1990's... Then Toyota Auto Body in 2004) for final manufacture (body panels are stamped at the Yoshiwara Plant).

You can assume a 5 day work week (M-F), two shifts (4-5 hours down time at night for plant cleaning, machine/robot/tooling maintenance, etc.).

Based on this, for example, if 1000 iterations of a BJ70 were manufactured in any given month, you can divide 1000 by 20 work days and see that 250 BJ70's were manufactured on any given work day on average.

Based on your frame number you can figure out, pretty accurately with the information below, when your truck was manufactured almost down to a day.

Again, this is general information. Daily production rates vary. When @cruiserdan and I visited the Yoshiwara plant in 2010, a Land Cruiser came off the line ever 90 seconds, two shifts per day.

In any event, I hope this helps owners of 7x series trucks.

As you can see by the information posted, my access to production dates is limited from the beginning of production in 1984 through the early 1990's. I will add more as I get more information.

Another important caveat is this information is for Land Cruisers exported out of Japan (Europe and General markets). Japanese frame numbers fit within a separate matrix, but operate in the same way. You can deduce to a degree your month/day of production using the below matrices as well.

-onur

Europe Export: 01/1984-12/1985

fullsizeoutput_5563.jpeg

General Market Export: 01/1984-12/1989 (you can see here that Toyota stopped manaufacturing 7x series Land Cruisers for almost 8 months to prepare for the big changes that occurred in 1/1990).

IMG_0978.JPG

fullsizeoutput_5555.jpeg

General Markets/Australia: 1/1990-12/1992: You can see here that the manufacturing numbers for models that continued on to the early 1990's are concurrent. New models begin at 00 frame numbering. Australia market is introduced into the numbering and CKD's manufactured for places like Venezuela, Kenya, Pakistan, Spain (Complete Knock-Down Kits: basically a Land Cruiser in a box to be assembled elsewhere).

fullsizeoutput_5560.jpeg

IMG_0976.JPG

Last edited:
TAKT time is every 90 seconds for the Land Cruiser? Pretty impressive considering all the variants they make. Tundra/Tacoma is 60 in comparison.

And it is totally far out Matt: LX570--> GRJ71-->HZJ79-->URJ200-->UZJ200-->LX570, etc. There was no rhyme or reason. They were all mixed in. Of course, they didn't allow us to take pictures inside of the plant during manufacture which was a real bummer.

Hey @beno

This is so interesting to look through, thank you for taking the time to post this up!

Sorry if this is a difficult or inconvienient question, but I have a BJ71 landcruiser frame number 0000510. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) it is a JDM model only? So doesn’t quite fit into these date categories, unless I’m not interpreting these records correctly. Does my truck come under a different category or is there a different way to get a rough date on production for 71 series models?

Sorry if I’m asking an impossible question. Can’t help but want to tap into your vast knowledge!

Cheers

Thank you for posting this info.
I’m sure would help a lot of owners trace back their trucks, for example
My land cruiser 1990 bj70 -0011066
This list shows that Toyota produced the last bj70-0010562 on 89/04
Tha would make bj70-0011066 a very late production truck probably as late as 89/09. Which is the last month model year production. Incidentally my truck title year is 1990.
Any one out here with later vin #
Any thoughts?

Tha would make bj70-0011066 a very late production truck probably as late as 89/09. Which is the last month model year production. Incidentally my truck title year is 1990.
Any thoughts?

Read my caveats above.

TAKT time is every 90 seconds for the Land Cruiser? Pretty impressive considering all the variants they make. Tundra/Tacoma is 60 in comparison.

Interesting. Given takt time is market demand based, that would suggest for every 1 Land Cruiser there are (only) 1.5 Tundra/Tacomas in demand/built. Surely there are more than 1.5 Tacomas/Land Cruiser, so I'd guess the Land Cruiser 90 second takt time is based on global demand whereas the Tacoma 60 is for a specific market segment...keyword here, "guess".

Anyhoo, here's a relevant picture I found somewhere (maybe here) that reminds me why I love Toyota's production operations and supports @beno 's point about the various models coming off the lines together.

landcruiserassembly.jpg

Interesting. Given takt time is market demand based, that would suggest for every 1 Land Cruiser there are (only) 1.5 Tundra/Tacomas in demand/built. Surely there are more than 1.5 Tacomas/Land Cruiser, so I'd guess the Land Cruiser 90 second takt time is based on global demand whereas the Tacoma 60 is for a specific market segment...keyword here, "guess".

Anyhoo, here's a relevant picture I found somewhere (maybe here) that reminds me why I love Toyota's production operations and supports @beno 's point about the various models coming off the lines together.

landcruiserassembly.jpg

Also, my TAKT information is now coming in on 8 years.

The TAKT was only for the Yoshiwara plant final assembly.

Last edited:
My frame is 3407. That gives it a production date of 87/02, which begins with frame 3403, so the 4th off the line. Looking back at the 1987 Calendar, the first day of production during the month of February is Monday the 2nd. My wife turned 15 on that day... now she's gonna want it. Thanks Onur... like her 200 isn't enough! :D

Any thoughts?

I have frame number BJ70-0010563. This information suggests that it is a #1 production run Vehicle for the Japanese Domestic Market? Any help or additional information is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2554FEC2-72FF-4935-9348-5961D6D332FC.jpeg

Definitely not.

Yours is a 1989. Almost 5 years after 7x manufacture began.
Sorry that I did not clarify the question, It is Definitely not #1 70 series overall which was in 1985. The documentation provided above states that the last export BJ70 was frame number 0010562 in April 1989. My frame number is 0010563. Wouldn’t that suggest that it could be the first cruiser off of the line for the next production run of JDM BJ70’s?

426628D7-821D-4B19-BCFF-32AA2529C422.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom