Manually move power seat back? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yea I know, gears stripped get with gamivitti.

The thing is I’m replacing these seats anyway so is there any way to manually move it back just for now until the new seats are in? At 6’1 it’s not exactly a pleasure cruise driving it right now 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm fairly sure if you pull the seat and flip it over you will see the long threaded rods that the motors should spin to move the seat position. A pair of vice grips and a bit of patience should get you where you want to be.

I'm fairly sure if you pull the seat and flip it over you will see the long threaded rods that the motors should spin to move the seat position. A pair of vice grips and a bit of patience should get you where you want to be.

That’s frustrating but thanks for the info, I guess the seat is coming out this weekend not my first rodeo with that. Somehow I was able to dodge this problem for the 18 years that I owned my old LX.

The white cap was out for a while on this LC I’m restoring and I’m sure it stripped the gears eventually. I was lucky in that I got it to move all the way back before it stopped being functional but the guy who drove it at the tire shop apparently was pretty damn short because he put it forward and now of course it won’t go back. This wouldn’t even be an issue if it wasn’t taking weeks to get anything shipped right now, everything has been a war of attrition getting this truck lined up….

Also this is easier to buy than installing new gears just to strip them by a faulty install.

Either way count the threads and make sure they are perfectly aligned, other wise you will strip out your new parts.

Also this is easier to buy than installing new gears just to strip them by a faulty install.

Either way count the threads and make sure they are perfectly aligned, other wise you will strip out your new parts.

This is the part which contains the gears which are replaced from gamiviti??

Wow, i never knew that part was available separately.

I have just developed the power seat problem on the passenger side of my 96 80-series. The seat is stuck in the forward position and will "try" to move back with the outter rail working and the inner rail kind of skipping before it fizzles out all together. I need to replace this, right? But what's the gamiviti part that is mentioned?
GENUINE PARTS.jpeg

I have just developed the power seat problem on the passenger side of my 96 80-series. The seat is stuck in the forward position and will "try" to move back with the outter rail working and the inner rail kind of skipping before it fizzles out all together. I need to replace this, right? But what's the gamiviti part that is mentioned?View attachment 2891567

... I'm still not clear as to whether I need the Toyota "housing sub-assembly" shown in the picture OR if the Gamiviti gear replaces the gear inside the sub-assembly I already have. Thanks again.
Scroll all the way to the bottom of that web page and you'll see that Tim put together a video that shows you how to replace them. There are also instructions that he has included. This might give you a better idea of what you need.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of that web page and you'll see that Tim put together a video that shows you how to replace them. There are also instructions that he has included. This might give you a better idea of what you need.
Awesome.... I had missed that. Thanks again!

To not have to futz with that front shield thingee - the repair manual show a couple of screws easily accessible from the front, but no bueno on our 97 - take a 1" hole saw and make an easy to access port to put your socket wrench through to manually move the seat back. You'll have to press the hole saw against the bulge of the leather as it tucks under at the top of the shield, but just go slow and avoiding snagging any of the teeth in the leath and you'll end up with a hole where your 12 mm socket will just fit. Then crank away.

Just did mine on my new to me '97 using a ratchet wrench. Went pretty smoothly, didnt have to drill any holes. Inside one on the pass side was a pain, so ended up pulling the bolts outta the floor and just letting the seat lay on its back. Cranked them all the way back and bolted it back down. Took about 30 min to do both seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom