Manually glow plugs while engine running? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, so ive done a lot of searching and have not gotten a straight answer. I have a hj47 (2h) and the previous owner installed manual glow plug button and push start. Its winter here in Vancouver, not super cold but sometimes -2 to +8 if I glow for 20 seconds it fires up right away but will soon stutter and cough out some smoke for a a min, then smoothen out an no smoke. ive read that some glow plugs on some trucks stay glowing while the engine runs till its at a certain temp. If I hold the glow down when Ifeel the engine about to stutter an smoke it smooths it out and doesnt smoke or stutter. so. Is this bad? am I gonna need new plugs soon if I keep doing this? hurt anything else or totally fine and normal?

Thanks!

IMO thats cold symptom, try cycling the glow plugs, like 10 seconds, 3 times, they cool when the fuel hits.

Ok, Thanks! Ill try that. But I do really want to know if its bad to run them while the engine is on and if it is bad what its bad for though :)

I mean thats sorta what ive read but again I would really like to know definitively if its bad or not and why?

Engine running will not hurt the plugs
But you need to know which glow plug you have , so you know how long you can hold the manual switch and not melting the tips
haha you posted that while I typed that last one. thanks thats the type of info im looking for. first diesel so just getting to know'r

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom