Manual locking hubs on Tacoma...worth it? stay tuned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have pics of the finished hubs with manual hubs? I have the entire hub and knuckle from a Tacoma to swap to my 99 T4R,what was your total cost in parts? Do i need to swap the outboard CV joints?

Do you have pics of the finished hubs with manual hubs? I have the entire hub and knuckle from a Tacoma to swap to my 99 T4R,what was your total cost in parts? Do i need to swap the outboard CV joints?

Do you have pics of the finished hubs with manual hubs?
I can take a pic of them as they sit on my truck. Is this what you are looking for?

what was your total cost in parts?
if you look back at post #15 that should answer the question

Do i need to swap the outboard CV joints?
yes or see post #15 you can do a reman axle swap.

sorry for the late reply, my alerts are not working right.

ALOHA SKULLY 3

AT THE SAME TIME U WERE DOING THIS SWAP , I WAS DOING THE SAME THING. AS U HAD , I TOO HAD BEEN THINKING & PLANNING THIS SWAP FOR A FEW YEARS BUT THE COST HAD ALWAYS STOPPED ME. IN JULY I BLOKE AN AXLE AND DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO JUST GET IT DONE ! !

BUT I GOT LUCKY. A FRIEND HAD DONE A SAS TO HIS TACOMA AND HAD SET THE WHOLE FRONT END A SIDE , HUB TO HUB. I BOUGHT ALL BUT THE 3rd MEMEBER FROM HIM. SWAPPED ALL THE PARTS OVER TO MY '98 WITH NEW AXLES FROM NAPA.

BEEN WHEELING WITH IT EVER SINCE AND LOVING IT ! ! THE SHIFT ON THE FLY , INTO & OUT OF 4 WHEELDRIVE IS NICE BUT I JUST NEVER FELT LIKE IT WAS AS SATISFYING AS GETTING OUT AND LOCKING IN THE HUBS !

Last edited:
ALOHA SKULLY 3

AT THE SAME TIME U WERE DOING THIS SWAP , I WAS DOING THE SAME THING. AS U HAD , I TOO HAD BEEN THINKING & PLANNING THIS SWAP FOR A FEW YEARS BUT THE COST HAD ALWAYS STOPPED ME. IN JULY I BLOKE AN AXLE AND DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO JUST GET IT DONE ! !

BUT I GOT LUCKY. A FRIEND HAD DONE A SAS TO HIS TACOMA AND HAD SET THE WHOLE FRONT END A SIDE , HUB TO HUB. I BOUGHT ALL BUT THE 3rd MEMEBER FROM HIM. SWAPPED ALL THE PARTS OVER TO MY '98 WITH NEW AXLES FROM NAPA.

BEEN WHELING WITH IT EVER SINCE AND LOVING IT ! ! THE SHIFT ON THE FLY , INTO & OUT OF 4 WHEELDRIVE IS NICE BUT I JUST NEVER FELT LIKE IT WAS AS SATISFYING AS GETTING OUT AND LOCKING IN THE HUBS !
Did yo truck have da ADD? Did da taco have it? Picha please

sent from my Hawn fingers

DON'T MEAN TO HIJACK THE THREAD.

MY TACO HAD THE A.D.D. MY FRIENDS TACO DID NOT.

I'M JUST LEANING HOW TO WORK THIS DEVICE AND HAVE NO IDEA AT THIS TIME HOW TO POST UP ANY PICS YET. THE ONLY COMPUTER I'VE RUN FOR DECADES ARE THE ONES IN MY TOYOTAS. BUT WHEN I'M ABLE TO I WILL POST SOME UP.

Props to you for making your own tool! I bought this one with out any problems. I heard the vendor was sending out the wrong part hence the low rating. Curious why you didn't buy Manual Hub Spindles. Are you pressing in the hubs to retain ABS? Or did you just want all new parts. http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W1272-...374&sr=8-1&keywords=tacoma+wheel+bearing+tool

I bought one like that with the hollow pins and promptly destroyed ALL those wimpy hollow pins. Took the thing to a heavy duty nut and bolt shop and found some solid steel pins that fit in perfectly. Tacked them all in place and then the thing worked like a charm. If you're wanting a tool that works right out of the box, I suggest to stay away from the hollow pin style. Just my honest opinion, YMMV.

Second Gen Tacoma manual hubs conversion kit links. One uses a new custom outer CV, and the other uses a new custom spoiled center CV shaft.

I've got a couple videos related to this subject that will show you start to finish how to get this job done. Part 1 shows the job start to finish for non-ABS knuckles. Part 2 was added to show you how to do the press work if you're going to be maintaining ABS function and are swapping over the manual hub parts to your ABS knuckles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom