manual hub conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well for those of you contemplating a part time kit, I just started mine, well the cheap part of it. I Bought a set of manual hubs off a fellow mudder(85 mini truck Aisin hubs). The swap from drive flange to manual couldnt have been easier. Pics to follow. I wont get into AWD versus part time, just didnt see the need for wear and tear when I use fourwheel drive 3-4 times a year. Now Im saving for the transfercase piece now. Thanks for all the helpful info here on mud.

:cheers:

Easy instructions

1-remove tire
2-remove dust cap
3-remove circlip
3-remove drive flange
4-bolt manual hub on.
5-Remove outer part of manual hub(10 mm bolts) so you can put circlip on.
6-put circlip on
7-place outer part of hub back on.
8-You are now done.

Last edited:
did you use any type of spacer so to speak to bring the axle ends out? I posted a thread about a PT kit a few dyas ago and some pics arose of how to properly run hubs. Apparently, if you don't space them out, the birf won't run quite right wherre it's supposed to and will cause excessive wear.
Oh, and have you driven it much since you put on the hubs? How much of a difference did you notice in handling and overall front end feel?

ROAMINGAZ, slee sells the kit there is a piece that looks like a spool that replaces the center differential in transforcase.

Didnt know I needed a spacer, I attatched bolt to end of axle and pulled it out maybe 1/4 inch and placed hub on. As for driving I just went around the block to check for any noises, weird stuff. Steering felt lighter, or should I say easier. I also removed driveshaft for full the experience, definitely feels better for me . Im gonna check into the spacer thing.

did you use any type of spacer so to speak to bring the axle ends out? I posted a thread about a PT kit a few dyas ago and some pics arose of how to properly run hubs. Apparently, if you don't space them out, the birf won't run quite right wherre it's supposed to and will cause excessive wear.
Oh, and have you driven it much since you put on the hubs? How much of a difference did you notice in handling and overall front end feel?

he has a 91 which has the short stub shafts so the spacer wouldn't be needed. If he has to replace a birf at some point he'll need to address it then.

Landtank, I read the thread from a couple days ago when it was said that you need to run a spacer, I started getting paranoid, what did I do? Well the last post by you is I have a 91 with the shorter stubs. I didnt know they were different from FZJ80's other than the ABS sensor. Good eye on that!! I have a question for you, I have had both birfs replaced about 3 years ago, bought them manafre, do you think they are the longer ones? And also when I turn the hubs, they feel nice and smooth just like a minitruck, nothing feels like its bottomed out or out of place.

Thanks

When you replaced the birfs the original flanges would have been too thin and you would have quite a bit of shaft sticking out of them.

I think Dan has posted the difference in the lengths and because every truck needs two spacers getting them laser cut as a group could be cost effective. I can help, but I would first need a gasket to draw the cut file from.

So I guess that Im alright with my setup? Thanks Landtank!

what year did they switch to the longer stub shafts, thus thicker drive plates? I always thought all 94's were the longer shafts, but I read on here that some early 94's might have the shorter ones. What measurement are we looking for to determine which ones we have?
roamingaz, every bit of research I have read points to using stock Aisan hubs off of a solid axle mini truck. Apparently they are the best.
If anyone else has interest in getting spacers made, post up. If Landtank is willing to help us out, I think we should take him up on the offer. I'd be willing to get him a gasket and ship it up to him for starters.

cstamm81,

I wonder if you cold use the shafts off a 91-92 because they are shorter? I know they dont have the ABS sensor ring but wont you be losing ABS anyway when you do the complete setup?

If you are going to do this mod I would be prepared to do something with spacers as the birfs with the a shorter stub shaft are no longer available and if for some reason you don't need the spacer now you might in a moments notice if a birf was to fail and leave you stranded.

I seem to remember that the short birfs were 246mm E-E and the long birfs were 251mm E-E so a 1/4" spacer should be about right.

However for the later model "long" birf guys or any replacements I think a more elegant solution would be a set of later model hubs from a market where the 80 came with a part time case.

LT, what will you need, just the gasket that goes behind the drive plate?

Good idea on sourcing the original 80 series hubs from a non US unit. Anyone have an idea of where they could be sourced?

LT, what will you need, just the gasket that goes behind the drive plate?

The gasket first, then I'll cut a couple of precision samples and when they fit correctly I can get a price.

Between now and then someone has to be certain how thick the shim needs to be as I can't confirm that unless someone also sends me a hub.

The gasket first, then I'll cut a couple of precision samples and when they fit correctly I can get a price.

Between now and then someone has to be certain how thick the shim needs to be as I can't confirm that unless someone also sends me a hub.

In order to provide proper fit (birf to spindle) .27 is the correct size of the spacer needed if you use an Aisin hub off a mini truck or FJ60/62 and late model birfs. The problem is when you install the proper size spacer the hub dial will not fit. If you use a smaller spacer the birf is not tight against the spindle as it should be. Also the use of a smaller spacer you run the risk of the axle working its way out and the snap ring coming in contact with the hubs dial and chewing it up.

I ran this set up with the smaller spacer for a short time and feel it contributed to premature failure of the inner axle seal because the axle can walk in and out.

A Warn hub off of a late model 40 will allow proper spacing with clearance.

If you are set on using Aisin hubs you can remove the birf and cut a new grove for the snap ring for it is the snap ring that comes in contact with the hub dial not the shaft.

Two other things to consider with this mod. 1 - No ABS with hubs in use 2 - more slack/clunk in the drive train

In order to provide proper fit (birf to spindle) .27 is the correct size of the spacer needed if you use an Aisin hub off a mini truck or FJ60/62 and late model birfs. The problem is when you install the proper size spacer the hub dial will not fit.

Not having the parts in front of me I'm at a disadvantage but I can't understand why the dial won't fit. Seems to me that spacing the assembly off of the hub by .27" is the correct thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom