Man-A-FRE Part time 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yomama.net
Have any of you noticed the part time 4x4 mod on their website?
I had talked to the owner sometime back and he was going to install it on his cruiser, I never heard back from him whether or not he did it. I have read though that in order to use it you have to keep your center diff locked, don't know if I would care for that, however the additional power and fuel mileage might not be bad.

Yomama

Yomama, the conversion puts AVM hubs on the front axle, with 4wd high operated by the center diff lock switch once the hubs are manually locked. Slight T-Case mods are necessary. Christo has a write up on his technical page. I don't know exactly how much difference in gas mileage you get, but the last person I know who had the conversion was still looking into putting a 350 chev. in his crusier....FWIW.

-H-

Yo,

It could get wierd trying that with a HF2AV transfer, as the coupler is in there in order for the ABS to work correctly. I believe that the PT conversion detailed on Christo's site was for a HF2A, like what -H- has..........

Regerds......Dan :beer:

So this kit won't work for a 96?

Not if you've got ABS (rear discs).

think the write up on Slee said they gained about 3 miles a gallon, which doesnt seem like it would make it worthwile in itself. sounded like power improved slightly.

When my Viscous Coupler went bad, I removed the front drive shaft and locked the center diff. Locking the center diff shouldn't be a problem as long as you the hubs are unlocked. When the CD is locked the VC not in use. The front and rear of the VC can't spin at different speeds. I could of just removed the VC and disabled the antilock brakes. But if one wheel lost traction I would be stuck. The VC is there to lock up the shafts when one shaft spins more than the other. I wanted to keep the antilock brakes so I got a new t-case. If you add lockout hubs you will lose the antilock brakes when you have the hubs unlocked. I see no advantage to having lockouts as the front drive line will still all be moving at the same speed locked or unlocked. Unlocking wont get rid of the front drive shaft as it will still be spining.
kurt

As I understand the VC, if you put hubs on a 93+ the VC will just put more power to the front, (ie. open differential) and not provide enough power to the rear unless the center diff switch (if equipped) is locked.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :stupid: :slap:

-H-

You can drive with the front hubs unlocked but it will slip as the VC is trying to send power to rear. When it gets hot enough it will lock solid. I wouldn't run that way as it might ware out the VC. When my VC got hot, it took 3+hrs to cool and unlock. It would of took longer as took a hose to it after the 3rd hr.
kurt

:-X Be really leery of anything M-A-F says- from my experience!!!! :ugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom