Mall Crawlers in Moab - 2023 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like an epic trip! Great photos!

You all are some brave souls...I didn't do hells gate with an ATV (first time in Moab)...but I did see a 14 year doing it..I guess 35's and a great spotter you are good?

Going down is the scary part...

33s got the job done in 2021. Moab wheeling is a little weird. I didn’t even touch a skid plate to a rock during my wheeling this time. Meanwhile at The Cove I think my skids touch the ground more than my tires 🤣

4BBA89DB-A4CB-4C33-8ED3-6B79C70DC4F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it really a trip to Moab if you don’t go to Mill Creek?

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

Seriously though, the weather this week was 90 and breezy which imo is absolutely perfect for dry heat. Plan your trip for early/late summer and go swimming at Mill Creek. It’s a mile and a half round trip and most of us end up walking in the creek the whole way.

I may have neglected to mention that the only way out of the Trifect was over the Golden Wall. Alec and Erich were in disbelief that there was no bypass. The rock pile leading up to the wall had been completely removed (which I fully support). We had to build a little ramp to get Alec’s ARB to a position to winch from. Everyone was allowed one try and then we winched onto the rest of the planned trip.

IMG_0338.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0716.jpeg

This was a day spent at the White Wash sand dunes. The most fun day I’ve had in Moab? Probably. Elephant Hill would be a close 2nd, go back and check my 2021 thread for that one. The most fun day I’ve ever had doing anything motorsports related? I’m having a hard time topping it. It might be tied with a track day at VIR. I’ve driven SxSs before and they are fun, but when you take one to the sand dunes it’s sooooo much better than trails or rock crawling with them.

The dunes are 1 hour and 15 minutes from downtown Moab. You can drive anywhere in the entire area. It’s an open playground. The dunes are pretty remote, we saw less than 5 other people out there. They were mostly on dirt bikes. This rental Can Am was pretty awesome. It was the best/newest one I could find in town. 200hp turbo triple. It ripped! 70+ through the wash and whoops was no problem. The suspension was incredible and makes anything Land Cruiser related seem totally incompetent in comparison. Surfing the dunes was exhilarating, I can only imagine what this thing could do with some proper sand tires. The rental was $700 for 24 hours from High Point Hummer rentals. We split that up between 5 drivers but I still think that’s very reasonable for what you’re getting. The trailer was $46 from Moab Campark.

The manager came out and shook us down before we took it out to the dunes, and this had already happened to me a few weeks ago on the phone with a different employee. They don’t want incompetent people taking their stuff over and hour away and breaking them. Plus the area is pretty remote so there’s no quick response for injuries. As he was giving us his speech he mentioned how we won’t be able to recover the SxS if it breaks on our own. I of course stopped him and pointed to the LX, told him that we will have 3 more trucks like it, and that we will be fine. He smiled and told us to have fun. Last thing - if anyone decides to do this make sure you get one with newer tires, i rejected the first one they had ready for us because it had bald tires. Those would have sucked in the dunes.

To no one’s surprise the LX did really well in the dunes. The SxS was a lot more fun so unfortunately I didn’t spend much time getting pics of the LX.

E82DA22B-347A-49EF-8B49-C918403FC979.jpeg

IMG_0382.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0404.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

Is it really a good family vehicle if it doesn’t have a diaper changing station (tailgate)? I don’t think so. I spent some time in a new Honda Odyssey Elite this trip, hard pass, I’d rather live with a cruiser wagon.

From here on out there may be pics that aren’t from Moab, but I don’t care to create another thread. We were driving from Moab to SLC without air conditioning (more on that later). I saw a dirt road off of highway 6 and it had a bunch SxS trailers parked at the bottom. I got the wife’s immediate approval to explore and we were off. It ended up being the White River 35 mile loop. It was fun, fast, and scenic. It was pretty rutted in spots but I cruised through the whole thing in 2wd. A little picnic on top of the mountains and it was a worthwhile adventure.
IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0507.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

On our way to Montana we had planned to spend a night in SLC and hang out for a bit. What I wasn’t planning for was my AC to quit working on the first day in Utah. I thought, and with the assistance of a small shop in Moab, that the clutch for the compressor wasn’t engaging anymore. My pressures were very high in the system and we could see that the clutch tried to engage but wouldn’t stay engaged for more than a second. There were no errors in my NAV unit like there usually would be with an AC fault.

So I called up Cruiser Outfitters in SLC and they recommended a shop they use often which was State Automotive. They prioritized me into their schedule and had me up and running again in half a day. They also discovered that it appears a critter chewed through the main wire on my compressor.
This would’ve happened the first night at my Moab AIRBNB. Just as I was about to blame Toyota for something actually breaking, it doesn’t seem it was their fault.

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0544.jpeg

IMG_0543.jpeg

IMG_0546.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom