Making your own DIY custom shape skillet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holy cow, that's sweet. Find out the metal thickness if you're going this route!
I had forgotten about this question until the thread got bumped. I asked and got a quick reply:
We use 10 gauge cold rolled. .135"

Ave is in his usual form. Would be daring to trust your average big box grill to hold 125 lbs of steel securely up there without there being a chance of it falling on somebody's toes, TBH. And it's kinda a one use grill now. Or a good exercise machine. But, yes, that will hold heat all right. Would be nice to have some grease drip collection system in place, though.

But of course if you rely on the seasoning to prevent sticking then super polishing won't make much difference.

Actually this is not true. I cook extensively with cast iron, griddles, frying pans, and all shapes and sizes of dutch ovens.

I have been using cast iron and even a few mild steel pieces for 30 years and I season all of my cast iron the same.

Seasoning the iron (or steel) is important and critical but the smoother the cast iron the less it sticks with all other things being equal.

My most non stick cast iron cookware is the stuff that has been in my family for generations. Stuff made in the 1800's. These pieces have been scrubbed clean so many times that over the years they have become smooth as glass and it is obvious that they are the most non-stick.

The problem with mild steel cookware is the lack of porosity. Mild steel won't absorb nearly as much seasoning as cast iron so it is even more important to get it as smooth as possible.

Whipped this up a few months back.

Sized it so a Cookpartner stove nests inside.

Works great!

98103D56-85C3-4FDC-B31B-BB4F71B7D451.jpeg

Details man, details 😁

1/8" thick? Grease escape hole?

3/16th mild steel plate.

Back and sides are verticle, front is angled at 45 degrees.

No drain holes... Dealing with grease in the pan is easier than letting it fall through onto the stove/BBQ/Kitchen-stove.

thanks for the good info, appreciated. Any plans on making a handle that won't burn your hands?

Handles are overrated. That thing is heavy enough that it won't move around needlessly while cooking; and, who really needs to pick it up while it's still hot? Just leave it on the stove until it's time to clean and pack up.

another vise grip and you got handles... Gotta have visegrips on the trail... And nice gearhead touch...

another vise grip and you got handles... Gotta have visegrips on the trail...
I see a vise grip just to the left but I agree, just wait till it cools down then wash.

another vise grip and you got handles... Gotta have visegrips on the trail... And nice gearhead touch...

The other Vice Grips are hanging around there somewhere...

I didn't want a raised fix'd handle as this packs inside a pelican case with the cook partner. It would be easy enough to add a slot on each end for a pair of hook type handles. Thats pretty low on the priority scale however.

What I will likely do is weld a coupling nit on each side and fab up a set of t shaped legs for using on a campfire. No reason handles couldnt screw in there as well.

yes, best not to have handles conducive to having the thing tilt over with a bunch of burgers on it while a hungry crowd is anxiously waiting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom