Magruder Corridor - Trail Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got back last night from traveling/camping the Magruder Corridor that runs between Darby, MT and Grangeville, ID. The trail itself is approximately 110 miles of windy, narrow, mountain dirt road. Trail guides suggest that high clearance and 4x4 are required. However, I saw a Nissan sedan at one camp site and honestly cannot say I saw any reason a Toyota Camry cannot drive from end to end! That being said passing vehicles is sketchy in many places. And, unfortunately for us, every vehicle we came across was on a blind curve and resulted in panic braking. You'll likely drive the majority of this trail at 15-20mph as it is very narrow, windy, and has many blind turns.

There are, however, unmarked/unnamed side trails that may require 4x4. For example, we took the trail up to Burnt Knob fire lookout. This is clearly marked as being "maintained for 4x4 vehicles only". I would not say it is "maintained" though! LOL We went up in 4H very easily, though it was a really bumpy ride. However, I decended in 4L 2nd gear to control speed as it is very bumpy/rocky and steep. Thankfully we never came across another vehicle as passing one another on this trail would be really sketchy.

Much of the forest here has been ravaged by fires in recent years. This results in clear views from the trail - however the views themselves are mountains and valleys filled with burnt trees. Our trip was hampered a bit by the thick haze of smoke from regional fires - ironic.

Burnt Knob fire lookout:

20708042_10212415839725610_3679704860754848336_n.jpg

Views east of Burnt Knob - very sheer drop off the ledge!

20638654_10212415832205422_3936175460215572229_n.jpg

Green Mountain Fire lookout:

20638881_10212415835845513_1770429892781744467_n.jpg

Views from Green Mtn

20645318_10212415836325525_3797749651404700909_o.jpg

There are many places you can camp along the Magruder trail. This trail is an 8 hour or more drive if you do the whole thing in one day. I'd definitely advise making this a camping trip. Be sure your vehicle has plenty of fuel, water, and food. The corridor is only open from July until the end of hunting season due to in-climate weather and impassibility during winter. Be watchful for other vehicles along the trail. We narrowly avoided two head on collisions on our way up hills because opposing traffic was traveling too fast around blind curves.

Your best places for gas are either Darby, MT (on the East end at 3,885ft) or Grangeville, ID (on the West end at 3,399ft). You'll ascend and descend quite a bit. I believe the highest point we reached atop Burnt Knob was approximately 8,200 feet.

For those with radios I can tell you that although I programmed the only regional repeator (Grangeville, ID) you'll find no ability to call for help once you're in the Magruder. There are so many mountains and valleys that radios are likely useless for anything other than short range traffic.

If you're a deer hunter - mule deer are plentiful and not afraid of humans!

Awesome write up!
This is funny because my brother and I were talking about doing this trail the other day.
If I'm not mistaken, its the farthest point from the highway or paved roads you can get in MT.

Awesome write up!
This is funny because my brother and I were talking about doing this trail the other day.
If I'm not mistaken, its the farthest point from the highway or paved roads you can get in MT.

It is pretty remote! And if you were injured it is a really long drive to find help or cell service.

I would love to do this sometime. What kind of mileage did you experience on the trail?

I would love to do this sometime. What kind of mileage did you experience on the trail?

I think, by the odometer, I was like 12-13mpg. But my truck doesn't get good mileage to begin with! I'm good to get 15mpg in town.

12-13 on the trail built like you are is not bad!

Very cool!

This trail is on my list. I planned on doing it last July in combination with the old lolo motorway. Construction on the magruder limited us to just the lolo. Also about 200 trees across the trail didn't help. Didn't even complete the ride cause we ran out of time. So they are both still on my list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom