Made a valve removal tool. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, nothing groundbreaking here but I was disassembling one of my 1fz heads today and decided to make a quick easy solution for valve removal without leaving the shop. Just a piece of 40 series aluminum machined with a nice wide window to get a magnet in and grab the keepers. It's made quasi specific for these heads but would likely work on others. Just requires a deep c clamp or as I prefer, one of these:

Mine have a threaded hole on the foot which I put a bolt into to give me a precise purchase on the bottom of the valve. Took about 20 mins to strip the head with no drama or damage.

PXL_20210527_232826254.jpg

PXL_20210527_232911779.jpg

PXL_20210527_233007397.jpg

PXL_20210527_232929266.jpg

If anybody wants one I can whip them up fairly easily. Or I'd be happy to mail it out if needed to borrow. I realize there are many other solutions out there but this is basically just a simple adapter that converts a welding clamp you may already have into a 1fz SST. 🙂

Hey all, nothing groundbreaking here but I was disassembling one of my 1fz heads today and decided to make a quick easy solution for valve removal without leaving the shop. Just a piece of 40 series aluminum machined with a nice wide window to get a magnet in and grab the keepers. It's made quasi specific for these heads but would likely work on others. Just requires a deep c clamp or as I prefer, one of these:

Mine have a threaded hole on the foot which I put a bolt into to give me a precise purchase on the bottom of the valve. Took about 20 mins to strip the head with no drama or damage.

View attachment 2686671
View attachment 2686675
View attachment 2686676
View attachment 2686677
If anybody wants one I can whip them up fairly easily. Or I'd be happy to mail it out if needed to borrow. I realize there are many other solutions out there but this is basically just a simple adapter that converts a welding clamp you may already have into a 1fz SST. 🙂

Great solution, good job!

For those without a welding clamp I used this with good success:

OTC Compressor2.jpg

Nice. And for those with fewer tools, I am restoring an 88 Supra with the original 7M straight six and made a similar tool simply with a hacksaw and piece or ordinary aluminum tube to cut out the "window". I used a rental tool from a FLAPS and it would not go deep enough which is why we all need to do something here. If I did it all over again, I'd actually use thicker walled PVC which is plenty strong enough. The thinner wall aluminum wasn't as stable as thicker walled PVC would have been. Iti's not rocket science, so know that if you needed to do this it's a single banana. John - how much was that and where'd you get it. Now that I have 3 Toyota straight 6's I am considering buying a tool...

Got mine off of Amazon Doug. It has two different size cages with generous openings. As you say....it doesn't require a lot of pressure to depress the valve springs. Its just holding any tool steady when you go to reinstall the keepers that matters.

Amazon product ASIN B000F5ECUY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom