Made a mistake and test road new bikes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Being small, weight is important to me for performance especially climbing. I would go to a small instead of an extra small next time (my road bike is an old C40 46.5 which weighs 14.5). I have to move my weight back a bit fast bermed corners. The key to getting that light is every component has to be optimized - Maguro MT8's, Sram XX1, Stan's no flat wheels with Racing Ralfs, etc.

I just put a new SRAM Eagle group on my hardtail and I have to admit, the rear cassette is comically HUGE. I hate how it looks.

It takes some getting used to for me to coming from a road race background I am used to seeing a 21 or 23 max back there. I do love the single chain ring and twist grip shifting, super clean cockpit with less clutter.

Purist mtn bikers stop reading here: Try a Fat bike. Leg strength required.

The right geometry and components will give you the time of your life.

The fat tires roll over most everything and maintain more control than my 29" Stump Jumper. The fat is heavier, and I'm slower on flat runs but man does it grip where you need it to. Just like the Land Cruiser--the tires are part of the suspension and I air down when appropriate. check out The Mayor by a Canadian company, RSD (no affiliation), that's the only bike I ride off road now.

Zona

They are a good choice especially for sand, snow and mud. I have been researching them and possibly purchase this winter or next.

Didn't you know that mid-fat and fat bike are all the rage now.. Combine 27.5 with mid-fat up to 3" or a little larger and suddenly you have hit the all mighty god-mode apparently. I currently run 2.4s on my Thumper (On-One Chunky Monkey and Vittoria GOMA) that are some of the largest in the industry (measured the OOCM on my WTB i29 at a full 2.45" when inflated to 30psi) and they are awesome. Still was playing with pressures before I busted the leg, now I need to get my butt out to ride some to build the strength and endurance back up which has me thinking about a fat bike for the snow.

Purist mtn bikers stop reading here: Try a Fat bike. Leg strength required.

The right geometry and components will give you the time of your life.

The fat tires roll over most everything and maintain more control than my 29" Stump Jumper. The fat is heavier, and I'm slower on flat runs but man does it grip where you need it to. Just like the Land Cruiser--the tires are part of the suspension and I air down when appropriate. check out The Mayor by a Canadian company, RSD (no affiliation), that's the only bike I ride off road now.

Zona
I love my fatty almost as much as my 29er. The fat is awesome ripping single trac, mine is very light (I think 22-23 lbs). When I really wanna pound it I take the 29er, but the fat does every thing, and well. The beach is fun, snow is a blast and single track is just as fun as the 29er. It just depends on the day which bike I'm rolling with. When I really want speed I jump on the road raper.

Last edited:
I love my fatty almost as much as my 29er. The fat is awesome ripping single trac, mine is very light (I think 22-23 lbs). When I really wanna pound it I take the 29er, but the fat does every thing, and well. The beach is fun, snow is a blast and single track is just as fun as the 29er. It just depends on the day which bike I'm rolling with. When I really want speed I jump on the road raper.

Wow, 23 lbs sounds like a dream! You have yourself a carbon bike, maybe a Borealis? Great bike. Mine is about 33lbs., I've got some killer quads now, ahahhahaaa.

Zona

What kind of fatty do you have? I have been looking at the Borealis frame set, considering a another low weight build to ride this winter.

I have a salsa beargrease full carbon with whisky carbon wheels and SRAM XX1 groupo. My 29er is a Niner air 9 carbon XX1 Groupo and my road bike is a Cervelo R3 with zipp 404 firecrest wheels and SRAM red groupo.

IMG_6814.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

Nice stable of bikes. Thoughts on the necessity (or lack thereof) of a front suspension on the Salsa? We have a lot of trails that are very rocky and lots of tree roots.

Nice stable of bikes. Thoughts on the necessity (or lack thereof) of a front suspension on the Salsa? We have a lot of trails that are very rocky and lots of tree roots.
Depending on how rocky the terrain your hitting is up to the rider for a need of front suspension. The lack of air in the tires really sucks up a lot over rocks and roots. For me on Long Island there is no need for it, just adds weight.

I second what Sinister said--personally, I don't feel a fat bike needs a front suspension. I ride a a lot of rocky jagged stuff here in AZ and it's not necessary. I suggest some elbow and knee guards if you're riding aggressive and on jagged stuff.

Zona

Those Stan's wheels with the Schwalbe's have a big impact on weight, that's what I run on my Yeti Arc Carbon.
Yes I know, the bike is around 19 or 20 lbs now. I'm looking at the new 9er Carbon wheels for the spring time.

Well finally decided on a bike. Yeti SB6C full XT drive train and brakes, pIke fork, transition dropper. It arrived today but don't have any photos yet. I might try to muster up the courage to take it out tomorrow night but it's supposed to be around 20°f tomorrow night.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. Now I have even more bikes I want to buy. BUT that might require the sale of my 40 which aint happening.

Nice!!... The Yeti's are great bikes. I have a couple on my short list that I would love to ride... Trek Slash and Remedy, Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol, Evil Reckoning and Following, YT Capra and Jeffsy.....

A lot of good bikes on that list. Didn't find out about yt until after my decision was made
Yeah I am spoiled because they are local to me.. When I first heard about them I was lucky enough to run across a guy the was "demoing" one on my local trail. He was in town for a convention, had talked with Zink and borrowed a top end Capra. I pedaled it around the parking lot (We had just finished and he was headed out on a ride) and all I can say is DAMN that thing was like a Cadillac!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom