M101a1 axle conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mudders!
I’ve got a few questions regarding the m101a1 trailers. I’m wanting to convert the old axle to a more user friendly axle.

-What length hub to hub should i use?
-What weight rating?
-Brakes or no brakes? which i know is a preference thing but curious on y’all opinion?
If anyone has done this or has info helpfull info to get me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Trailer dimensions for m101a1:
Trailer frame o.d. 45 1/2”
Spring seat center to center 43 1/2”

My M101 is a bit smaller, because it's Canadian by birth. However, I still want a braked axle, mainly for hills and emergency stopping. Would think you would want to go that way with a M101A1.

Check around for a Dexter dealer. You can get the complete axle, brakes (including parking brake) included for around $400 for my smaller trailer. Probably ~same price for yours unless you need to upgrade from the standard capacity for some reason.

I’m leaning towards the e-brakes too. The reason im wanting to swap axles is beacause of the tires. Its almost impossible and expensive for the 9.00x16x37 tube mil spec tires. It would be cheaper to swap the axle. I just cant find info on what length i should order.

Couldn't you just measure your axle hub to hub for replacement? What are you planning to haul in it, if just camping go with the #3500 axle, but it wouldn't hurt to go up to the #5000 axle. For sure get the brakes with e-brakes. It's kind of a pain to match the parking brake cables to the newer brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom