Lx570 start up engine noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife’s 2014 LX with 83K mikes started this noise ( can’t upload video…?)

I’ve done a little bit of research and think it might be a timing chain tensioner. What do you guys think.

Only on the drivers side. Definitely harmonic, happens on cold start ups after the engine kicks down from higher RPMs. Happens for 3-4 second then stops for 5-10 secs then 3-4 second again.

I do have an extended warranty and all engine parts including timing chain and tensioners are covered.

Or, should I go with a slightly higher viscosity engine oil next time and see if it goes away.

Usually in the 80s section. Don’t eat me up. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks

It’s time to sell it😂

It’s time to sell it😂
Haha. I’m keeping it for a little while.

CBFF1FA5-AEA3-4109-AC5E-B460D678AD64.jpeg

you can put the video on YouTube and link back

It being cyclical makes me wonder about the cam phasers. I don’t know a lot about them but something to research. Doesn’t sound like the typical timing chain rattle, and even if it did I wouldn’t expect it to come and go like that.

Thicker oil could be a quick fix.. but really my gut is that it would just be a bandaid.

If it goes away after fully warmed up (or even partially warmed up) it sounds typical for these engines - has been covered a lot in Tundra forums.

I have two of these engines. One in a 21 Tundra and one in the 09 LX. They both make their own noises on start up which is normal. Toyotas seem to rev up high to warm. Coming from a long history od GM I have researched the Tundra noise a ton when I was green. I was worried. It is normal top end noise on these 5.7s. Some of my 90s Chevy trucks had sleeve slap pretty bad when starting. It drove me nuts but nothing you can do. Turn up the radio... Even the Toyo techs will tell you they are noisy.

Now I had a 12 Rubicon that had the dreaded dieseling noise- then it was time to sell. AND be done with Jeeps. Traded it to a dealer so they could deal with it.

My 2016 LX makes the same exact noise on cold start. Still no ideas what it could be? I wouldn't think a car of this level would be making such noises in the first place.

The cycling makes me think it could be related to the A/C compressor???

Turn off A/C and see if the noise changes.

My 11 has done this off and on since new. Took it to the dealer early on and they said it’s completely normal, lot of moving parts up there and takes a little for the oil to get up in there. I do notice now it’s more prevalent when time to change the oil and usually goes into submission after an oil change until the 5-7k mile mark. My reminder to change the oil…Just turned 260k and motor is finally feeling like she’s broken in👍

Mine is the same. I thought a/c compresser at first but I believe it's the timing chain tensioner. I'm at 207k and not too worried about it.

Wife’s 2014 LX with 83K mikes started this noise ( can’t upload video…?)

I’ve done a little bit of research and think it might be a timing chain tensioner. What do you guys think.

Only on the drivers side. Definitely harmonic, happens on cold start ups after the engine kicks down from higher RPMs. Happens for 3-4 second then stops for 5-10 secs then 3-4 second again.

I do have an extended warranty and all engine parts including timing chain and tensioners are covered.

Or, should I go with a slightly higher viscosity engine oil next time and see if it goes away.

Usually in the 80s section. Don’t eat me up. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks
I have this EXACT noise on my 2015 LX @ 86K miles. Check your oil level …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom