LX570 Intro & Needs Hep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up an 09 LX570. I subsequently took it out to Peter’s Mill Run in VA which is a Jeep Badge Trail. I made it through yesterday with no problems and was doing well today even with a bit more mud/wet conditions until a rock took out the side of one of the Michelin street tires. I’ll see if I can attach pictures.

I was on a steep incline when I heard it pop, made a three point turn ASAP, made it down to a flat section but not before losing all air. I was very fortunate to make it down and some good people to help out. Whoever had the LX before me removed the jack, so while I had tightened the wheels up and knew the lug wrench kit was in the vehicle, I didn’t verify the jack was. Turned out not to be much of an issue as a nice guy on an ATV went to his campsite and got one.

With track driving it’s good to take vehicles out stock and see what needs to be addressed first. Well aside from proper planning for the trip like verifying a jack, tires would seem to be it.

I have looked into getting RRW7 wheels and wrapping them in Toyo RTs. It seems the offset I need is a +25, however I haven’t confirmed this yet and need to know the offset of that wheel. I do know it fits the Tundra so that is a starting point, but suppose I’ll have to call tomorrow. Also, debating on the tire size.

Toyo RT
305/70r17s: d 33.9 and w 12.2
35x12.5R17s: d 34.8 and w 12.5

The 35s’s narrowest wheel accepted is an 8.5 which the RR7s are. Is this an issue?

I know the 35s will require everything the 305s do with the addition of a BMC and hammering of the fender/footstep. From my understanding, both will fit in the stock spare location with some light modification.

Please jump in with your thoughts or just let me know of items I have missed in my research.

While we’re at it, any thoughts on ASFIR 4x4 skids would be welcomed. I plan to get these on after the wheels/tires and shortly thereafter an HWM from LTD Off Road. They were great about taking time to answer some questions about the fitment of the HWM and the platform in general. This platform is incredible and extremely capable. Some Jeep and Taco owners seemed surprised I was taking this stock LX through the trail but it made it with no issues yesterday.
E2DB3890-BCFE-44C5-97A7-D755F82CA3C9.jpeg
5A6F2D99-0DF3-4412-A674-4143F788F1EE.jpeg
71F73BE5-0D17-4DDB-A1EC-CC00E1057391.jpeg
5474A7C9-3C61-4AB2-8FC4-23C149E3B150.jpeg
5A6F2D99-0DF3-4412-A674-4143F788F1EE.jpeg

27465F3E-A0C5-49D8-BB29-A0E5B9D76528.jpeg

I won't be much help as I'm at the same spot you are. I like the fact that you took out a stock LX wheeling just to send it through the paces. I did the same then promptly bought a set of rock warrior wheels. I am still debating tire choices.

By the way my stock rims are done for after 1 day of light wheeling!

Well, fitting a taller wider tire on an LX will take some work, but it’s been done now many times, so the thread you linked and others cover it.
If you want to press the 35” easy button, 35x10.5r17 or 255/80r17will fit with +35 offset and only minimal plastics removal or trimming.
35x10.5r17 Kenda RT
255/80r17 MIckey Thompson Baja Boss AT (the new style)

Your not supposed to get the LX dirty 😳

DP

Last edited:
What Michelin tires do you have now?

At least in pics above, you aired down, right? If you did, then this exposes the sidewall of a street tire even more to damage.

And THIS is why I always favor a tire with strong sidewall. Sidewall punctures just suck to no end! Been there, done that. On the trail is the last place that you want to change your tire(s) out. And once you’re down to your spare, then that is end of the day for you...turn around and head home. It just sucks.

Well, fitting a taller wider tire on an LX will take some work, but it’s been done now many times, so the thread you linked and others cover it.
If you want to press the 35” easy button, 35x10.5r17 or 255/80r17will fit with +35 offset and only minimal plastics removal or trimming.
35x10.5r17 Kenda RT
What grinchy said.

If you're comfortable with the BMC then you can run the 12.5 inch tire, but running a thinner tire is what most folks go for. With the BMC, sensor lift, and ensuring that you clear the UCA's you can run 37's. A few folks on here running 37's without re-gearing, but it is recommended.

Congrats on the new rig!

I won't be much help as I'm at the same spot you are. I like the fact that you took out a stock LX wheeling just to send it through the paces. I did the same then promptly bought a set of rock warrior wheels. I am still debating tire choices.

By the way my stock rims are done for after 1 day of light wheeling!

RW are great! I was going to hold off and search for a good set of them, but with this flat I am more inclined to get a solution together asap. Thank you - I think it is good to get out, have fun, see what should be upgraded.

Tire choices are not easy. I think more and more the 285/75r17 Toyo RTs are looking like the answer just for simplicity. I have been watching some YouTube videos from the VA, NC, TN, and PA region, and a lot of times it seems the folks have a problem with mud and grip, not necessarily height.

35x10.5r17 Kenda RT

Would being so narrow impact performance on road? Or off for that matter?

I saw several of your posts across other threads and appreciate you dropping in on this one.

The Toyo RT in the 285/70r17 the width is 11.3” wide, while the 315 is 12.2” wide. Is the 315 worth it in your opinion? What offset wheels should I be seeking for these wheels respectively? The RRW RR7s have a backspacing of 4.75" given them an offset of 0 at 8.5" wide. The Black Rhino Chase wheels have a backspacing of 5.14" and an offset of +10. These are just some wheels I saw that I liked, but it doesn't seem they'll work out. I would much prefer to have the right wheels than to deal with spacers.

I am not married to the 35s and think better tires that can deal with mud but have decent on road livability is more ideal. The more I research the more the 34s, or just shy of in the Toyo RTs make more sense. Open to suggestions from yourself and the forum on this - especially from folks in the NC, TN, VA, & PA regions.

Your not supposed to get the LX dirty 😳

That's pretty much the look I got from a few folks out there 🤣🤣

When did they start hiding malls that far out?
🤣👏 Damn GPS screwed up again
What Michelin tires do you have now?

At least in pics above, you aired down, right? If you did, then this exposes the sidewall of a street tire even more to damage.

And THIS is why I always favor a tire with strong sidewall. Sidewall punctures just suck to no end! Been there, done that. On the trail is the last place that you want to change your tire(s) out. And once you’re down to your spare, then that is end of the day for you...turn around and head home. It just sucks.
Honestly I don't know what they were. LTX? I did release a couple of PSI, but they were at 34 or so when this happened. Funny you should mention this, as I did not air down at all on Saturday and had no problems. I did release some air yesterday as it was raining and muddy, and I got the puncture. Definitely was the end of the day and did suck.

What grinchy said.

If you're comfortable with the BMC then you can run the 12.5 inch tire, but running a thinner tire is what most folks go for. With the BMC, sensor lift, and ensuring that you clear the UCA's you can run 37's. A few folks on here running 37's without re-gearing, but it is recommended.

Congrats on the new rig!

I have a buddy of mine with a Gen 5 4 Runner with a BMC. It was a pretty easy, straight forward mod. Why are people averse to doing a BMC?

So you just did the BMC, Sensor Lift, and I am sure Mud Flap removal, as well as pushing in of the front fender liner? Any hammering of the side step, fender, or pinch seam weld? No re-gearing?

Thank you - I am looking forward to getting it built up and going after adventures!

RW are great! I was going to hold off and search for a good set of them, but with this flat I am more inclined to get a solution together asap. Thank you - I think it is good to get out, have fun, see what should be upgraded.

Tire choices are not easy. I think more and more the 285/75r17 Toyo RTs are looking like the answer just for simplicity. I have been watching some YouTube videos from the VA, NC, TN, and PA region, and a lot of times it seems the folks have a problem with mud and grip, not necessarily height.

Would being so narrow impact performance on road? Or off for that matter?

I saw several of your posts across other threads and appreciate you dropping in on this one.

The Toyo RT in the 285/70r17 the width is 11.3” wide, while the 315 is 12.2” wide. Is the 315 worth it in your opinion? What offset wheels should I be seeking for these wheels respectively? The RRW RR7s have a backspacing of 4.75" given them an offset of 0 at 8.5" wide. The Black Rhino Chase wheels have a backspacing of 5.14" and an offset of +10. These are just some wheels I saw that I liked, but it doesn't seem they'll work out. I would much prefer to have the right wheels than to deal with spacers.

I am not married to the 35s and think better tires that can deal with mud but have decent on road livability is more ideal. The more I research the more the 34s, or just shy of in the Toyo RTs make more sense. Open to suggestions from yourself and the forum on this - especially from folks in the NC, TN, VA, & PA regions.

That's pretty much the look I got from a few folks out there 🤣🤣

🤣👏 Damn GPS screwed up again

Honestly I don't know what they were. LTX? I did release a couple of PSI, but they were at 34 or so when this happened. Funny you should mention this, as I did not air down at all on Saturday and had no problems. I did release some air yesterday as it was raining and muddy, and I got the puncture. Definitely was the end of the day and did suck.

I have a buddy of mine with a Gen 5 4 Runner with a BMC. It was a pretty easy, straight forward mod. Why are people averse to doing a BMC?

So you just did the BMC, Sensor Lift, and I am sure Mud Flap removal, as well as pushing in of the front fender liner? Any hammering of the side step, fender, or pinch seam weld? No re-gearing?

Thank you - I am looking forward to getting it built up and going after adventures!
Me? No, not yet, haha, I'm running 285/70r17 BFG's at 32.8" diameter, not even a full 33 📏. I'd like to upgrade, just not in the budget right now.

The sweet spot on the offset of the wheels is +35 to +25. Any farther out than that and you'll run into fender clearance concerns. You can roll the fender if you'd like, but 35's with anything wider than a +25 and you'll likely have fender clearance issues.

To run 37's you'll need BMC, sensor lift, front and possibly rear mud flap removal, and hammering up the pinch weld. You'll likely need to cut the interior of the sidestep on the LX, I think grinchy has some good photos on that, but you won't need to hammer the side step mounting brackets.

I don't think there is any appreciable on road performance issues, I never thought of a 265mm wide (10.5) tire as 'narrow'. It's got a huge aspect ratio, it is what it is. But it's not dangerous. I don't change my on road driving one bit, except for what a 6k lb SUV would require, I'm not powersliding thru corners like with my old rx7.

Off road it's an opinion fest. Some think it's better, some worst. Anecdotes on both sides of the decision. A few youtube curmdugeons insist on narrow being the way to go, and many pokey wide bros think you can't be too wide. And they're probably both right depending on specific use cases.

Generally it probably doesn't matter one bit. Get a nice, compliant tire aired down good and you will have the footprint you need to go where you want.

What I can say for certain is the Kenda RT 35x10.5r17 is a great tire with barely more noise than an AT but with great road manners and excellent grip in whatever I've gotten into. Similar feedback on what I've read on the Baja Boss.

I agree a BMC isn't that big a deal, btw.

No one go stealing my idea! I kid, I kid.

I found some wheels that are:
Diameter: 17"
Width: 8.5"
Offset: 25mm or 35mm
Backspacing: 5.78" or 6.2"

If I go with the 305/70r17 or the 285/17/r17 should I go with the 25mm offset? If I go with the 35x12.r17, should I go with the 35mm?

I really appreciate all of you all assisting me with these decisions! I want to get these wheels on and fitted ASAP.

The RRW RR7s have a backspacing of 4.75" given them an offset of 0 at 8.5" wide. The Black Rhino Chase wheels have a backspacing of 5.14" and an offset of +10. These are just some wheels I saw that I liked, but it doesn't seem they'll work out. I would much prefer to have the right wheels than to deal with spacers.
Your measurements do add up there...just wanted to make sure you understood that you can't add spacers to add offset. Spacers can only subtract offset, and you certainly wouldn't want to lose anymore to either of these wheels. You can make anything work, but +25 is sort of the sweet spot/limit for wheels that were probably more designed for the Tundra but get used on the 200 series plaltform. And "ideal" from a scrub radius and geometry perspective is more like +30 (35") to +40 (34") depending on how tall a tire you go with.

I don't think there is any appreciable on road performance issues, I never thought of a 265mm wide (10.5) tire as 'narrow'. It's got a huge aspect ratio, it is what it is. But it's not dangerous. I don't change my on road driving one bit, except for what a 6k lb SUV would require, I'm not powersliding thru corners like with my old rx7.

Off road it's an opinion fest. Some think it's better, some worst. Anecdotes on both sides of the decision. A few youtube curmdugeons insist on narrow being the way to go, and many pokey wide bros think you can't be too wide. And they're probably both right depending on specific use cases.

Generally it probably doesn't matter one bit. Get a nice, compliant tire aired down good and you will have the footprint you need to go where you want.

What I can say for certain is the Kenda RT 35x10.5r17 is a great tire with barely more noise than an AT but with great road manners and excellent grip in whatever I've gotten into. Similar feedback on what I've read on the Baja Boss.

I agree a BMC isn't that big a deal, btw.
LOL my biggest adjustment has been braking and corner entry. The first weekend I got the LX, I took it to Tail of the Dragon to meet up with friends. Quickly realized how much I need to adjust my driving coming from track enabled sports cars. RX7s are lovely btw!

I looked into these Kendas and they come with great reviews, even in muddy conditions which is great. What all did you have to do to fit these narrower 35s? BMC still? Do you have a link to your build? I would like to order the wheels and tires today if possible.

Your measurements do add up there...just wanted to make sure you understood that you can't add spacers to add offset. Spacers can only subtract offset, and you certainly wouldn't want to lose anymore to either of these wheels. You can make anything work, but +25 is sort of the sweet spot/limit for wheels that were probably more designed for the Tundra but get used on the 200 series plaltform. And "ideal" from a scrub radius and geometry perspective is more like +30 (35") to +40 (34") depending on how tall a tire you go with.
Thank you! I think I have finally found some wheels that look pretty good and more importantly are in either 25 or 35mm offsets which will be decided by the tires I go with. I am inclined to try the 35" Kendas and can build to accommodate a full width setup if I feel the need during the time the Kendas are mounted. The wheels would still be ideal too. My concern is that I opt for the smaller tires, get the 25mm offset, then have major regret and want to redo the setup to accommodate the 35s appropriately.

I did release some air yesterday as it I have a buddy of mine with a Gen 5 4 Runner with a BMC. It was a pretty easy, straight forward mod. Why are people averse to doing a BMC?

That may work with 35s but won’t with 37s. Much more involved to make that fit, just FYI

LOL my biggest adjustment has been braking and corner entry. The first weekend I got the LX, I took it to Tail of the Dragon to meet up with friends. Quickly realized how much I need to adjust my driving coming from track enabled sports cars. RX7s are lovely btw!

I looked into these Kendas and they come with great reviews, even in muddy conditions which is great. What all did you have to do to fit these narrower 35s? BMC still? Do you have a link to your build? I would like to order the wheels and tires today if possible.
Yeah, I miss my Rx7. I had it just where I liked it, had it for 8 years. . ., but HOA didn't allow street parking and my growing family absolutely didn't fit in a 2 seater. I guess I could get another one after the recession starts to make 3rd cars a luxury again now that my kids have aged up a bit.

I do have a build thread, it's linked in my signature. Fitting was super easy, as I already was running an even larger diameter (35.3") 275/80r18 AT previous. Basically I removed mud flaps (later put rear flaps back on), did some basic plastic work at front of front wheel liner (push forward one screw location, reuse z clips). And 15 min of heat molding on the rear of front wheel well and remove a not necessary metal tab that is there to support the mud flap screw.

You may not even need to do any work at back of front wheel well for 35" (34.5) RTs

I am on +35 offset an highly recommend it.

Glad to see another LX out there proper mall'n. Looks to be possibly a pinch flat?. I remember Joe Bacal (ex Baja racer that campaigned Monica before she got a nose job). pre-running courses with Lexus media loaners, and says he would keep factory tire pressures.

I would encourage a full fat solution for the LX as we're unencumbered by KDSS. The BMC chop isn't a big deal and it's done so regularly on every other Toyota model. From a performance standpoint, the LX needs the width IMO because of its full fat nature. When GX, 4Rs, and Taco's are running full fat sizes, makes me wonder why anything else should be fitted to the heaviest model of them all. Steering, braking, and handling for a 6,000+ lb wants needs more rubber on the road. There's situations offroad where the additional flotation may mean the different between stucks. Not to dismiss narrows, but IMO, there's more reasons to go wider than not and a BMC shouldn't be that hurdle. Handling on canyon and mountain roads is surely one of them as AT and MT treads and compounds already give up contact patch. Tons more tire options in full fat sizes, including unlocking the option to use more floatation sizes that IMO bring their own advantages over LTs that are focused more on heavy loads.

That said for wider than 11.5" tires, the +35mm offset is important if you want full articulation against the fender both front and back. +25 works with narrows. I have rolled my fenders even with +35 and 35x12.5 tires to ensure clearance as they can kiss at full stuff. Less offset can work too, but just be prepared for more mods.

I would not casually throw around 37s as an easy option, at least if full articulation is considered. 35s already maximizes so many critical dimensions. 37s will need an aggressive combination of body lift/fender chop, bumper and rocker chops. For the right rig, it'd be awesome. Just be prepared for that much more work.

Whatever you choose, it will greatly amplify all the core capabilities you have already found. And when you're ready, there's still more to be unlocked:

@TeCKis300 build is one of the most thorough, well thought out, and complete builds on here, if not the most. No corners cut anywhere. One could do much worse to pattern after.

We agree to disagree on the 'narrow'/wide point. It hasn't been an issue for my use case, but if I got a giant caravan and started to tow heavy like he does, a wider tire on a taller rim seems pretty darn prudent. I'd probably be looking at 295/70r18 though.

Glad to see another LX out there proper mall'n. Looks to be possibly a pinch flat?. I remember Joe Bacal (ex Baja racer that campaigned Monica before she got a nose job). pre-running courses with Lexus media loaners, and says he would keep factory tire pressures.

I would encourage a full fat solution for the LX as we're unencumbered by KDSS. The BMC chop isn't a big deal and it's done so regularly on every other Toyota model. From a performance standpoint, the LX needs the width IMO because of its full fat nature. When GX, 4Rs, and Taco's are running full fat sizes, makes me wonder why anything else should be fitted to the heaviest model of them all. Steering, braking, and handling for a 6,000+ lb wants needs more rubber on the road. There's situations offroad where the additional flotation may mean the different between stucks. Not to dismiss narrows, but IMO, there's more reasons to go wider than not and a BMC shouldn't be that hurdle. Handling on canyon and mountain roads is surely one of them as AT and MT treads and compounds already give up contact patch. Tons more tire options in full fat sizes, including unlocking the option to use more floatation sizes that IMO bring their own advantages over LTs that are focused more on heavy loads.

That said for wider than 11.5" tires, the +35mm offset is important if you want full articulation against the fender both front and back. +25 works with narrows. I have rolled my fenders even with +35 and 35x12.5 tires to ensure clearance as they can kiss at full stuff. Less offset can work too, but just be prepared for more mods.

I would not casually throw around 37s as an easy option, at least if full articulation is considered. 35s already maximizes so many critical dimensions. 37s will need an aggressive combination of body lift/fender chop, bumper and rocker chops. For the right rig, it'd be awesome. Just be prepared for that much more work.

Whatever you choose, it will greatly amplify all the core capabilities you have already found. And when you're ready, there's still more to be unlocked:
I really appreciate your input! I was reading your thread, which I included in my initial post, before I even got the LX. Hell it was one of the contributing factors to me getting into an LX.

I just bought Method 705s in Titanium finish. Specs are 17 x 8.5, 5x150, 35mm offset and the Kenda 35x10.5r17s with matching spare. I think as I evaluate these I will either build towards the 37s or full width 35s on the next go around. Thank you for the link to the long travel AHC thread! I wanted something that was a relatively easy solution and would get me back on the trails soonest. Didn't hurt that the Kendas were very affordable from Walmart at $250 per.
@TeCKis300 build is one of the most thorough, well thought out, and complete builds on here, if not the most. No corners cut anywhere. One could do much worse to pattern after.

We agree to disagree on the 'narrow'/wide point. It hasn't been an issue for my use case, but if I got a giant caravan and started to tow heavy like he does, a wider tire on a taller rim seems pretty darn prudent. I'd probably be looking at 295/70r18 though.

Thank you for all of your help! I will be joining you in the 35" Kenda RT club! Tires should be here Thursday, not sure when the wheels will be here. I will keep this thread updated or maybe start a build thread.

This forum is awesome - I really appreciate everyone jumping in to give their thoughts, perspective, and share their experiences! Looking forward to contributing in the future and hopefully getting out there with some folks from here. Next year at Cruisers on the Rocks if nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom