lx570 brembo brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The system has rear led fade... The rear runs hotter and overheats before the front. This causes the front to have to take on more of the job, which then pushes it past the limit, and then it over heats.
So your recommendation would be upgrade both axles? Or rear first?

I'd happily take those off your hands. I'll toss in the labor to return them to stock. :)

Front only BBKs are a common upgrade for many vehicles and I've done them before on other rides. The physical size and appearance is not what dictates bias. Piston sizes internally to the caliper are sized during the development to maintain proper front to rear bias for short and stable stops.

BBKs primary advantages are two fold. Physically larger rotor, pads, and brake caliper for firmer pedal and modulation in braking performance. Additional heat and heat shedding capacity to maintain that performance over repeat brake applications.

As the front does the lions share of braking, that's where the added heat capacity can really pay off.

Nothing about the stock brake calipers are special for off-roading which should say that these Brembos should perform fine in that environment too.

Now this post sounds like it was written by a guy who has Yellow brakes on his P-car...

Piston dust seals would be my primary concern, but the simple fact that toyota actually extensively tested the OE brake system in the environments we see, and that wasn’t necessarily done with something developed originally for the street says a lot.

Do these kits even come with backing plates large enough to protect such a large rotor?

These consumer level Brembos do typically use dust boots on the pistons. If you get into the real race grade stuff, they forgo boots as they can't handle the expected operating temps.

The backing plate is an interesting question. The caliper is hung off the trailing edge of the hub. The backing plate does not cover the stock caliper and is clearanced ahead of it. Many BBK installs, and perhaps this one, would need some trimming of the backing plate. Shouldn't be a concern to off-road use.

Separately, as we mod these SUVs, particularly with lifts, the optimal brake biases change due to changes in weight transfer dynamics. It could change towards the front with more lift and loss of anti-dive geometry. This could also be offset with added armor and significant accessory weight which tends to bias things to the rear. Either way, ABS ultimately manages at the limit behavior to maximize whatever grip is available at each axle/tire, or if the rears fade first. For a heavier than stock rig, BBKs like these will help with more overall stopping capacity against fade which is the real benefit. Rears can be upgraded to handle higher max operating temperatures (MOT) with performance brake pad compounds and performance fluids.

I had to trim the curved lip of the dust shield to fit the Stoptech BBK. Still good coverage

That would be a green flag for me having Brembo brakes
Haha. Tempting after reading through some of the pros of the Brembos but also makes me hesitant in case they need any repairs or have been driven heavily.

My searches have been for as stock/unmodified as possible but will probably still go look at this one.

Rears can be upgraded to handle higher max operating temperatures (MOT) with performance brake pad compounds and performance fluids.

Same for the fronts.

If I get a rock stuck in my brakes I'd rather it be with the OEM caliper which is made of steel, and clearly designed with off-road use in mind.

@Mjones Personally, were I looking at a truck with these brakes I'd consider it a deal because the plan would be to remove them and sell to fund tundra brakes and put some cash in my pocket. That comes a little from my plans to stay relatively close to stock weight and not consistently tow heavy, but much more from the opinion that OEM will be more trouble free and easy to find parts for in a small town in utah. Even if I were heavy, 16+/Tundra parts with good pads/fluid would be the ticket, given the sidewall advantage.

I agree with you and see these brakes as a great opportunity. Either to offset purchase costs, or as an upgrade.

I wouldn't be concerned about robustness. These calipers aren't just pretty jewelry and are top shelf items designed for serious use in motorsports. Including off-road motorsports. Brake calipers are giant chuncks of metal, whether aluminum or steel, as their job is be a robust support foundation.. There's many more delicate things down there than this solid block of metal, in a protected position in the barrel of the wheel, on the trailing edge.

As said, many off-road racing series, use some of these same performance parts. Advantages named before, but there's also benefits to suspension and handling with much less unsprung weight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom