LX570 '13 Battery light on...weird... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrX

Threads
I know about what "issues" these have but alternators don't seem to really go on these unless you fry them crossing rivers. I've had some fun in light mud but that's it. Everything just started dying today, the screen etc. So we got it jumped and home (my spouse was driving, he pulled over and shut off) but technically it didn't strand him. I had AAA replace the battery anyway bc it's about time. Starts up just like new but the battery light stays on? I assume it's an alternator but a little surprised at this mechanical problem for such a stout vehicle that's been so well cared for, but oh well. They tell me not to drive it (unless to the shop) but I have been and it's holding at a tad about 12 volts (thank you, comprehensive gauges), starting right up. Stronger start than before.

Anyone replacing alternators on these at a tad over 100k? I'm fine with it but a little disappointed. I would take my much older LS430 right now, this second, and drive it to Alaska and back and not worry about a thing.

Statistically there can be failures, even if they are rare. Do you access to have a voltmeter to check whether it’s charging?

Have you checked inside your rocker panels for water? The harnesses down there getting submerged can do all kinds of odd things to the electrical system in our vehicles.

Statistically there can be failures, even if they are rare. Do you access to have a voltmeter to check whether it’s charging?

Have you checked inside your rocker panels for water? The harnesses down there getting submerged can do all kinds of odd things to the electrical system in our vehicles.

Just my gauge in the truck. I have a feeling in my gut that it will turn off eventually, especially if everything doesn't start to die soon or starts acting funny (bc there's no alternator to charge the battery). Brand new HD AAA battery in there. The start crank is stronger than before, you can tell.

To answer your other question-- no, I haven't had much fun with water crossings yet. Just some mud I was having fun with until I spent $900 for 2 tires picking up nails (duh, at construction areas). I'm done with that for a while, lol.

Can you see if there is mud in the alternator? Although the gauge on the dash is little better than guessing, if it reads only 12V when the engine is one, the battery is not getting charged enough. I'm with @bloc on checking for water leaks, but your description of playing mud before the problem makes it worth looking for mud in the alternator.

Can you see if there is mud in the alternator? Although the gauge on the dash is little better than guessing, if it reads only 12V when the engine is one, the battery is not getting charged enough. I'm with @bloc on checking for water leaks, but your description of playing mud before the problem makes it worth looking for mud in the alternator.
Thanks for your input, everyone's.

I have had back surgery so I'll have my spouse look, is it best to look from over or raise AHC and look underneath? I did think of that as well. It has been a few months since any mudding however. Where is the best spot to check it out? I'm not a mechanic at all but I'll be able to easily tell if it's screwed up by something just by looking. It's just hard to swallow...a mechanical problem that isn't widely reported. This truck was maintained like clockwork, back seats literally never sat in. Came with DVD player remotes, wireless headphones with batteries, 2 keys with all weather fob covers, and a winter rubber set of Lexus OEM floor mats. This this was babeed, that's putting it mildly. I got a quote for $7-- something from my Indy Lexus shop using a Denso OEM part so NBD, but kind of sucks the whole thing.

Thanks for your input, everyone's.

I have had back surgery so I'll have my spouse look, is it best to look from over or raise AHC and look underneath? I did think of that as well. It has been a few months since any mudding however. Where is the best spot to check it out? I'm not a mechanic at all but I'll be able to easily tell if it's screwed up by something just by looking. It's just hard to swallow...a mechanical problem that isn't widely reported. This truck was maintained like clockwork, back seats literally never sat in. Came with DVD player remotes, wireless headphones with batteries, 2 keys with all weather fob covers, and a winter rubber set of Lexus OEM floor mats. This this was babeed, that's putting it mildly. I got a quote for $7-- something from my Indy Lexus shop using a Denso OEM part so NBD, but kind of sucks the whole thing.
Something that I have found very helpful in tight locations is to snap a pic with your cell phone. Some spots you can position your hand where your head won't go.

Water in the rocker panels would likely be from a windshield or sunroof leak, not from off-roading. It is very easy to check for, requiring no tools.. just pull up in the middle of the plastic kick plate covering the door sill. The rear tabs require a little twisting to get out of their detents attaching it to the b pillar lower trim.

Below that is a thick wire harness on each side and some connectors at the front that will be submerged if there is a leak. I don’t bring this up as being likely, just a possibility and easy/quick/noninvasive to check for.

When you put it back be sure to not catch the rubber weather strip under the edge.. all of this has been covered before here with pictures.

My dash gauge shows just under 14v when driving. But I’d trust a digital multimeter to give much more precision.

Last edited:
My alternator failed earlier this week. 2011 with 210k miles. No warning.
No noise, no nothing? I have noticed mine is still silent. I've heard a many failing alternators in cars over the years, no sounds here....interesting.

Starting to wonder if I did this off roading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom