LX470 '99 with less miles vs '00 with more (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong page, but wanted to get this group's thoughts.

I have two options of cars right now. One is a '99 with 215k miles and another one is '00 with 240k miles. Both are in somewhat similar condition with scratches and ripped driver seat. Both recently have had timing belt replaced. The 99 is charging slightly more but they're both around the $8k range.

Which one should I get?

pick which color and interior you like best.

Some differences in the two (with respect to upgrades. ATRAC). Certain 2000 year model vehicles had trouble with the transmission (not the entire line, but over a certain production period) you can search that here.

Otherwise, as already mentioned, pick the color you like best and research as much as you can...the maintenance history of each.

Last edited:
Are they both close enough to you to be inspected? I'd let the inspection win if you are equal on color. I'm a couple grand in parts and lots of hours in fixes on mine on things a pre-buy inspection missed even though the mechanic was "very familiar with land cruisers and their problems"...

One could argue that:

The 1999 has the 2 pinion front differential, which has a reputation of being more fragile than the 4 pinion differential in the 2000+ models.

Or

The 2000 model year has a reputation for more transmission failures than other years.

Or

The 1999 does not have VSC & ATRAC, while the 2000 does.

(It’s really a toss up, pick the one in the best condition, with the best service history)

By far the most significant difference is the presence of traction control (ATRAC) in model years 2000 and later. Prior to 2000 they had ABS but nothing else. If you drive around on a lot of loose surfaces, especially snow/ice, and don’t plan to throw in lockers, you will find the ATRAC very useful. I personally regret not having ATRAC.

For MY 2000 the front diff was upgraded from a 2 pinion gear design to a 4 pinion gear design. The earlier 2 pinion design of the 1998 and 1999 model years is prone to failure, but not under normal conditions. It will be completely adequate unless you put on huge tires and then go seriously off-road, in which case you’d probably be upgrading the front diff to a locking unit anyway.

MY 2000 and 2001 have been known to experience sudden total transmission failure, which would be extremely expensive to fix. However, it seems to be a very rare problem — I would not be afraid of a 2000 because of it.

Personally I'd go with the 2000 for the ATRAC system. I have a 99 and I really wish I had that. The 4 pinion front diff is also worth the peace of mind if you plan to wheel it. If both are well taken care of the difference between 240k and 215k is negligible

Whichever one has been maintained better and is the most rust free.

Have a detailed inspection done, you won't regret it.

In the rare case the transmission or front diff go out, you'll feel better knowing that both issues cost about the same in parts and labor to remedy so the MY thing doesn't change much.

And my '99 is great in deep snow but the lack of traction control makes a big difference in variable road conditions like ice or light snow. You don't have anything to bail you out if you start spinning or sliding. I've done both. My Tacoma with stock tires would have caught and corrected, but the LC with 33 inch all terrains just heads straight for the ditch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom