lx450 water probs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
I was recently driving in and out of mud puddles nothing big or anything and the check engline light came on? i drove it awhile longer and no probs but when i took to shop guy says i had water in my engine? no what sounds way off. what could have been the prob? also what does so much water get to the engine compartment?

Huh?
-B-

I beleive the most appropriate response is to run like hell form above stated mechanic. find one who is not an idiot or make sure the 710 plug is in place before you go through puddles( I wonder how many will get that one) seriously I can see it getting into the air intake and causing problems there but unless you have bigger problems(ie gaping hole in the side of block) you should not have mud in there. as far as the check engine light goes, you do not stae your model year but my stab in the dark from an uneducated 3fe fan would be you pissed off you r 02 sensors and they will probably recover.
perhaps I am way off base here but there is only one way for anything other than fuel to get inside your engine and that is through the air intake.
Dave :beer:
done ranting for now
shortened version.
get a second opinion.

How about water in the distributor and wire connectors. Certainly possible and more than likely what the mechanic inferred. The distributor has breather holes.

now that I would buy as it has happened to me while on my last trip to moab. (it rained like hell the day before we got there) this is totally possible if not likely but I would doubt if it was in the engine.
Dave

FaVE,

I read the post 6 times and couldn't understand what was a statement, what was a question, and what he was asking of the group. Somehow I knew you would figure it out. :D

cHrees :beer:

-B-

OIL plug.

The blondes always call it the 710 plug because the oil plug is turned 180 around. :flipoff2:

sorry bout the post it was late and i was tired. i already thought about the distributer and i have already sealed it with silicon so that wasnt it. It runs ok now but now i think the tranny seemes to be shiffting funny around 60 mph any ideas on this? its a 1996 lx450.

>> seemes to be shiffting funny around 60 mph <<

I don't mean to be slammin' on you again but you just gotta be more descriptive. This doesn't tell anyone anything.

-B-

Sorry again still tired. It almost seems like its stuck between gears. Like it cant decide witch gear to stay in. its almost makes the cruiser seem rough.

LX,
Does it seem to be shifting back and forth between 3rd and OD? If so, then try turning off the OD and see if the "funniness" stops. Again, more information would help.

For example:
While driving my '96 LX450 (US spec) at a constant 63 MPH on level ground, the automatic transmission shifts between OD and 3rd for no reason. Throttle position is unchanged. This happens only when towing the trailer with about 800# of cow manure and only when driving in the left lane. All gauges appear normal; oil pressure, and coolant temp are fine. The RPM's go from a steady 3,200 RPM to 3,800 RPM when it downshifts. Then the RPM's go back down to 3,200 when it shifts back again. The muffler bearings were replaced about two weeks ago. Could this be the problem?

Something like that will help people understand what you are trying to communicate to us. I know you're tired but you asked for help.

-B-

When I dunked my motor it started to miss and the CE light came on. The fan spewed water everywhere and soaked one of the sparkplugs. The secret here is OBDII and how it reacts. When the ECU senses a miss, it lights the light because that is a problem that will cause more than 1.5 times the normal emission levels. This light will go out if the ecu does not sense another miss in a number of drive cycles. If it senses another miss, it can put the engine into "limp in" mode where the motor runs off of set instructions rather than input from all of the sensors. IT will generally run pretty crappy. It will also affect the shift points. I THINK Toyota looks at everything every time it is restarted, but I'm not sure about that.
What I had to do was dry out the plug best I could, then start the engine until it ran really bad, then clear the codes, easier on a 95 than later models, and restart the engine. After about an hour of this, the engine ran pretty good for the rest of the day.
It sounds like the first thing you have to do is clear the codes. 96+ you need a scan tool to do this.
Siliconing the cap is a good first step, but water gets down in the plug valley. The boots need to be sealed as well.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

lx,
the above language is commonly referred to as beonese. I beleive websters has it defined as: being precise to the point of absurdity without skipping any of the related details. As far as your issues I think Gumby is probably spot on on this one. oH adn JuSt fOr _b_ @#$^%#$&^%*#$%^*#
old habits die hard.
evaD :beer:

fAEv

>> to the point of absurdity <<

:'(

-B-

all i have to say is you are all amazing. I am only 17 and i have a basic understanding of cruisers as i have built 2 fj40s but when i can come on here and ask advice how ever poory worded it may be and get a dead on respose is great.
thanks to all

Some of us are, well, ...a bit older.......PLEASE don't say "dead", :flipoff2:

LX,

>> and get a dead on respos <<

Was it the part about the muffler bearings? :D

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom