LX 570 - SS3 Fog Lights (w install) (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the detailed install post.

I have these in the mail and hoping to install next weekend (along with my Group 31 battery) - figured I would kill two birds while I had the wheel liners out.

Has anyone figured out where to tap into to activate the backlight with the DRLs? I searched and have not seen anyone document this.

I will be taking a shot at it on my 2014 LX570. Believe there are two ways - use the provided tap and tap directly into the DRL wire behind the headlight assembly (what color is it?), or use an add-a-fuse to female connector directly in the fuse box.

I am thinking former will be easiest if I can just identify the DRL wire. Anybody have schematics or diagram?

I have mine wire tied up waiting for someone the be the guinea pig. I poked around there are a few different looms with connectors behind the wheel liner that you could possibly run the tap to, just not sure which wire. I agree that it would be much easier to run the tap to each DRL or marker light, rather to the fuse box.

I have mine wire tied up waiting for someone the be the guinea pig. I poked around there are a few different looms with connectors behind the wheel liner that you could possibly run the tap to, just not sure which wire. I agree that it would be much easier to run the tap to each DRL or marker light, rather to the fuse box.

I did some digging around in anticipation of install next weekend (also ordered all new diode dynamics HID and LEDs for highs, lows, front and rear turn signal, reverse lights to replace while I am at it).

Based on below photo and diagram, I think the left white plug and harness is the Low and the right black plug and harness is the turn signal. The High housing is off to the right with light gray cap/cover.

The diagram does not show a unique harness for the LED DRL strip so I am guessing it is housed in the Low harness somewhere.

1FD77907-0D63-4DAE-A94C-417C67584BFC.jpeg

BCDFD525-442A-4AC1-AE76-DCFFB2F7C2BE.jpeg

I did some digging around in anticipation of install next weekend (also ordered all new diode dynamics HID and LEDs for highs, lows, front and rear turn signal, reverse lights to replace while I am at it).

Based on below photo and diagram, I think the left white plug and harness is the Low and the right black plug and harness is the turn signal. The High housing is off to the right with light gray cap/cover.

The diagram does not show a unique harness for the LED DRL strip so I am guessing it is housed in the Low harness somewhere.

View attachment 3221014
View attachment 3221015

Found this via google image search. No idea if it is accurate or
what all the acronyms mean.

Found this via google image search. No idea if it is accurate or
what all the acronyms mean.

I think I am going to buy a cheap voltmeter and go through process of elimination to see which wire in the harness is hot while the DRLs are on.

I think I am going to buy a cheap voltmeter and go through process of elimination to see which wire in the harness is hot while the DRLs are on.
Are the DRLs on the 2013-15 not the high beam? On the 08-11 it’s the high beam and there are a series of relays that reroute 12v to put the high beams in series (instead of parallel) and adds a resistor to the circuit to dim the lights.

Are the DRLs on the 2013-15 not the high beam? On the 08-11 it’s the high beam and there are a series of relays that reroute 12v to put the high beams in series (instead of parallel) and adds a resistor to the circuit to dim the lights.

The DRLs on 13-15 is the LED panel along bottom of light.

64DDAFD8-6496-4C48-87BC-7B0264EB7AB6.png

Got an early start on this today while “working” from home.

Paging any electrical engineers.

I bought a voltmeter and tested the headlight plug in various permutations of the headlight switch. I thought I would quickly be able to identify the DRL wire while just the DRL was on, but unfortunately that was not that case. Invariably, there were four wires that were showing current regardless of which position the headlight switch was in (some additional wires went hot as you engaged other headlight permutations).

7462113E-B41F-4636-8C9E-9F810C7DA3F7.jpeg

The four that were hot were as follows:

On top part of plug, the red wire second from left read 13.2:

11A7ADC3-83EA-414F-A9E5-6FF51365D8CA.jpeg

581C4270-4458-4FB3-B6A7-95FC23F53F8D.jpeg

On the bottom part of the plug, the red wire first from left read 12.6; the pink wire third from left read 9.3; and the blue wire fourh from left read 9.3:

3702D524-8956-4FF0-984C-B072F6AE1982.jpeg

C251EC32-4D68-4A6B-A6F2-E2042CF56F99.jpeg

91361D03-333F-49A1-8228-DB5A8B853CA5.jpeg

7A410D87-C7C4-4397-9700-D82B3C1FCCCC.jpeg

I know nothing about electrical engineering, but maybe someone might be able to decipher which one of the wires is likely the DRL based on the voltage?

View attachment 3224898
View attachment 3224899

I know nothing about electrical engineering, but maybe someone might be able to decipher which one of the wires is likely the DRL based on the voltage?

Updated thread in the main 200 series forum. Figured this out. Good luck.

7B87015D-26A6-4CDD-A8F6-0C8BFD0FB92C.jpeg

Just curious which power level folks are getting. My guess is the Pro level is all I need, but I don't want to regret not getting the Max. I typically don't drive around with fogs on, so this will be for when I really need extra light.

Last edited:
Just curious which power level folks are getting. My guess is the Pro level is all I need, but I don't want to regret not getting the Max. I typically don't drive around with fogs on, so this will be for when I really need extra light.

Based on my anecdotal research majority seem to be getting Pro.

The Pros are brighter than my Hikari LED headlights. I suspect it’s a diminishing returns thing at play here (pay a high price for 90% of the desired function.. then pay double that to get that last 10%).

The Pros are already kind of stupid expensive at 4x the cost of the Amazon knockoffs… can’t imagine you are getting double your output for the max, or even if you are, that it’s necessary…

I have the SS3 Max fogs in my LC200 and am blown away by how bright they are. More powerful than my low beams. They are wired into the OEM fog switch so they are only on with the low beams. It’s kind of a step down when I flick on the high beams because I lose the DD fogs.

Daytime shot so you can’t see the light output.

47752256-AE7B-43ED-80B3-3A525BB4FFA0.jpeg

I'm about to pull the trigger on these for my 2010. Most likely the Pro version, but the other question is white or yellow? If I'm using them for a mix of road and off-road driving, not sure which would be more useful? Seems that getting the yellow would be optimal for fog, and still useful off-road? Any opinion on this?

I'm about to pull the trigger on these for my 2010. Most likely the Pro version, but the other question is white or yellow? If I'm using them for a mix of road and off-road driving, not sure which would be more useful? Seems that getting the yellow would be optimal for fog, and still useful off-road? Any opinion on this?
Yellow it is.

Finally bought a set of yellow SS3 Pros during Diode Dynamics's July 4th sale and installed them today. The instructions were very helpful! One thing I did that made the clips much easier to remove was slide a small flathead under it to pry it up a bit. It slid right off with no extra force.

20230718_182947.jpg

I have a 2009 and didn't have the extra shroud over the passenger side fog light. Not sure if it was missing or added on later models.

Haven't had a chance to try it out as it's still light out, but looking forward to seeing how bright they are!

Last edited:
Finally bought a set of yellow SS3 Pros during Diode Dynamics's July 4th sale and installed them today. The instructions were very helpful! One thing I did that made the clips much easier to remove was slide a small flathead under it to pry it up a bit. It slid right off with no extra force.

View attachment 3377220

I have a 2009 and didn't have the extra shield over the passenger side fog light. Not sure if it was missing or added on later models.

Haven't had a chance to try it out as it's still light out, but looking forward to seeing how bright they are!
Still one of my favorite changes to my 2010. I never drive without them on at night, especially on back roads, due to the improved safety from the side of the road illumination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom