LX 570/ AHC Wheel and Tire Info and Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

295/60r20

I'm assuming you're looking for an easy fitment, that gets you into a well rounded AT tire in all regards.

I would highly recommend a 295/55R20. This is practically equivalent in overall dimensional specs to a once offered TRD size option on the LC. Sized up in all dimensions, including a touch in width to compensate and maintain good on-road handling and braking, as AT tires tend to use treads with more voids with taller less stable tread blocks. Pair this with a .75" or 1" spacer.

I would not disable AHC. That's misdirected. The best part of AHC is its dynamic ability to compensate for height and damping and it'll perform like crap if disabled in high. A better strategy if you want higher ride height is to use sensor lifts, which can easily get you ~1.75" lift all around. Perfect as it keeps the suspension geometry still in its sweet spot. Then pair with the taller tire, sitting pretty with a nicely aggressive posture. Setup this way, with .75" tire lift, 1.75" suspension lift, nets 2.5" more base lift. Throw it in AHC high, at which point it's a 5"+ lift on demand.

When you're ready, the LX will easily take 34 or 35" tires too.
Can I ask about how the on-road ride and drive with these is? Highfructose's comments above seem to be that the heavier tire really impacts the ride and drive. I am in the same situation with my new to me 2014. Thanks

Can I ask about how the on-road ride and drive with these is? Highfructose's comments above seem to be that the heavier tire really impacts the ride and drive. I am in the same situation with my new to me 2014. Thanks
Heavier means more weight moving up on bumps.

Sidewall crushes and absorbs/slows down energy transfer.

Sidewall is the bigger variable imo, having had both heavy and thinner side walled tires…

The 35’s I have currently, at 35 psi, are very heavy…like 93 lbs…which I think is a bit heavier than my old lt275 60 r20’s…though these are night and day more comfortable/absorbing of impacts.

If you think about it, I had 6.45” of sidewall previously…vs 9” now.

And the 9” now with 35’s I have is at 33-35 psi vs 40-42 psi for those 6.45” on my 20’s I used to have.

Not only do I have 40% more sidewall to crush slightly with bumps…but I’ve also got 24% less hardness via psi…and I’m running load d’s instead of the stiffer e’s…

All these variables come into play, not just weight.

Though, all things being equal, I’d prefer my overall wheel weight to be in the 75-86 lb weight.

@highfructose hit the high points.

I personally think there's a disparate focus on tire weight with perhaps the wrong assumptions on these boards as to associated characteristics. There's more primary variables to ride like air pressure, sidewall geometry, tire type, etc. Often, people pick tires based on weight only to get less. For example KO2s that run small. Versus Falken AT3Ws that run large, with way more rubber and tread depth. AT3Ws will always ride better than KO2s because of their less harsh sidewall character and the added rubber.

I wouldn't get anything 275 if ride quality is desired. These need comparatively higher tire pressures for required load ratings.

Last edited:
@highfructose
I wouldn't get anything 275 if ride quality is desired. These need comparatively higher tire pressures for required load ratings.
I truly learn a lot from your posts and thoroughly enjoy them. Thus I ask a bit for you to clarify what you mean by “275 if ride quality desired.”

I run 33inch Ko2 on my FJC and 31 Ko2 on my FJ62. Both of them I was tired of the harsh rides on long trips to Montana and Moab

My 200 had michelin highway tire (cant remember the model) and it rode as soft as a LS460. Oem size in 285

I went to a 275 General Grabbers for the first time as replacement. I have been very pleased with and havent seen much deterioration from a 285 vs 275.

I truly learn a lot from your posts and thoroughly enjoy them. Thus I ask a bit for you to clarify what you mean by “275 if ride quality desired.”

I run 33inch Ko2 on my FJC and 31 Ko2 on my FJ62. Both of them I was tired of the harsh rides on long trips to Montana and Moab

My 200 had michelin highway tire (cant remember the model) and it rode as soft as a LS460. Oem size in 285

I went to a 275 General Grabbers for the first time as replacement. I have been very pleased with and havent seen much deterioration from a 285 vs 275.

Just saying it would be worthwhile to examine RCTIP for the desired tire size. The commonly used 275 width tires need 40+ psi to achieve load ratings, whereas other sizes need medium to high 30 psi.

I guess I wasn't very specific with respect to my last post. I am wondering about the deterioration in the ride/drive if I change from the stock Michelins to something like a KO3 or the new Michelin LTX Platinum on my 20" stock wheels. Since I now live in Santa Barbara not Utah, a lot more of my time will be spent on paved roads. My likely future use will be in the CA/NV deserts, mostly on fireroads and not much real off roading- at least not like what I used to do in the Moab area when I owned Moab Brewery. My old '06 LC with KO2s was not the greatest on the highway, although I had an OME 2.5" lift and a lot of armour. To further confuse the issue, I recently drove it from Bozeman to SB and it road and drove fine with a new set of Yoko Geolanders on it. I'll keep them through the winter and then would like to switch to a larger tire -probably 34s. Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom!!

I guess I wasn't very specific with respect to my last post. I am wondering about the deterioration in the ride/drive if I change from the stock Michelins to something like a KO3 or the new Michelin LTX Platinum on my 20" stock wheels. Since I now live in Santa Barbara not Utah, a lot more of my time will be spent on paved roads. My likely future use will be in the CA/NV deserts, mostly on fireroads and not much real off roading- at least not like what I used to do in the Moab area when I owned Moab Brewery. My old '06 LC with KO2s was not the greatest on the highway, although I had an OME 2.5" lift and a lot of armour. To further confuse the issue, I recently drove it from Bozeman to SB and it road and drove fine with a new set of Yoko Geolanders on it. I'll keep them through the winter and then would like to switch to a larger tire -probably 34s. Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom!!
I drive Helena/Missoula to LA lot and CA/NV desert is my playground

So far my General Grabber has been an excellent compromise tire.

I havent taken it to the sand yet (thats my next test). If it passes that - It will perfect for all my needs

My 275 60 r20 (not light truck-it was euro spec I think, similar to passenger rated) seemed fine to me because I was technically able to run a reasonable tire pressure comparable to oem…so basically I had oem tire pressure (squishiness) with more sidewall (crushable bump absorbing rubber).

My LT275 in load range e required like 42 psi…these were tires better suited for an f350 (which I think they come as oem on some)…I would not recommend them if you plan to run them at the appropriate psi and want a nice ride.

If you want slightly more aggressive looking slightly larger tires without risking a sacrifice of ride…you might look into the p/euro spec 275 60 r20’s (32.9”) and 275 65 r20’s (34.1”).

You’ll be adding sidewall (for a bit more shock absorbing rubber) but not too much weight or tire psi (since you won’t have to run that higher psi like you would in a light truck tire).

Last edited:
alot of good tech in this thread.

Looks like the first step in modding my 2017 LX570 is adding 275/60/20s to my factory 20s and going from there.

So glad that theres space underneath for a full size spare. After going to 33s on our 2016 GX, i've been running with no spare since. Not fun taking it on trips without it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom