Lucas Electrics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Too damn funny.

Reminds me of my TR6...

My first car was a 1958 MGA. It needed oil and brake fluid everyday. It was also equipped with the infamous Lucas electronics - Prince of Darkness, indeed.

I think this is a big part of why I enjoy my Toyotas so much today! :clap:

My first car was a 1958 MGA.

I had a 1958 XK150 .... but it never ran while I owned it. It looked gorgeous sitting in the garage though. :D

-Mike-

I had a 1958 XK150 .... but it never ran while I owned it. It looked gorgeous sitting in the garage though. :D

-Mike-

I would agree - those late 50's Jags were beautiful. It's probably just as well it never ran - then you would have to figure out how to get it home after it died on the road. :eek:

Agreed on the XK150 - my dream car when I was a kid. You had to pull the engine to change the clutch though - I saw an XKE yesterday that looked beautiful and made me reminisce...

My dad had quite a few Triumph TR's. I recall him removing most of the Lucas disease from the '72 TR6 he most recently had. That stuff was junk.

I should probably leave this alone but....

is this a common theme for the Maynard fleet?

Assuming that you are referring to keeping (at least one) nice vehicle in the garage, yes, this is a common theme. And through the years it made little difference if the vehicle was running or not. Just something to caress and fondle on those wet & cold winter weekends. :D

The XK-150 was a drophead coupe which has 2 small jump seats. They also offered a 2-seat roadster, and a fixed head couple (FHC.) The engine was a 4.2l DOHC in-line 6 with dual SU caburettors. Real wire wheels with knock-off hubs. They were hand made and had a copious amount of plywood with virtually no plastic.

I dreamed that it would someday be restored to pristine condition. Mine was black but it bore only a vague resemblance to this one. And if you think Toyota parts are expensive you haven't tried to buy old Jag parts.

std_1958_jaguar_xk150_dhc_fv.jpg

-Mike-

The one I ogled in high school was at the Saab etc. dealer in Santa Fe - just north of where Beaver Toyota is now - it was another dealer then, but I don't recall what... It was rust colored, no seats, tires flat, but it was beautiful.

I dreamed that it would someday be restored to pristine condition. Mine was black but it bore only a vague resemblance to this one. And if you think Toyota parts are expensive you haven't tried to buy old Jag parts.

std_1958_jaguar_xk150_dhc_fv.jpg

-Mike-

Very pretty - the MGA had similar lines - long hood and minimal truck. Your butt rode about 5inches above the pavement with your legs stretched out in front.

It would be heresy to the British motoring fanatics, but it would be a worthwhile project (in my opinion) to take one of these and replace all the running gear and electronics with Toyota innards. I'm planning this after I win the lottery. :grinpimp:

It would be heresy to the British motoring fanatics, but it would be a worthwhile project (in my opinion) to take one of these and replace all the running gear and electronics with Toyota innards. I'm planning this after I win the lottery. :grinpimp:

A 22re would be very nice. Or, a 5M, 6M, 7M.

My dad had a 59 MGA that he used as a DD for several years in the 60s. The most prominant thing I remember about it was that there was a sheetmetal panel behind the seats that if you removed it you could see the pavement going by below and the driveshaft spinning.

My dad had a 59 MGA that he used as a DD for several years in the 60s. The most prominant thing I remember about it was that there was a sheetmetal panel behind the seats that if you removed it you could see the pavement going by below and the driveshaft spinning.

Not only that, but that access panel was how you got to the twin 6 volt positive ground batteries. I assume they were mounted behind the driver for better weight distribution. By the time I got mine, it had been bastardized and the single 12 volt battery was in the trunk.

Not only that, but that access panel was how you got to the twin 6 volt positive ground batteries. I assume they were mounted behind the driver for better weight distribution. By the time I got mine, it had been bastardized and the single 12 volt battery was in the trunk.

That's funny because accessing the batteries was the reason we took the panel off. However on our car the 2 6Vs were on both sides of the car. My dad explained that THAT was reason there were 2, to provide balance side to side. That never maid sense to me because once you add a 160lb solo driver there goes your balance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom