Lube Steering Knuckle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the grease fill plug for on the steering knuckle? All the manuals say to add grease. The guys on LCML say adding grease in the fill hole does nothing.

1 Why does Toyota put the fill hole on if it has no use?
2 Does adding grease lube the birfield or just the steering
bearings?
3 How much grease do you add? I always just filled till it was full.
When you service the birfiels you only fill 3/4 full. When adding
adding grease in fill hole, how can you tell when its 3/4 full?
kurt

surprise, surprise ::)

Now I could see cross posting on different forums. Say here and Pirate, but in different sections of the same forum?

How do I get an answer to the knuckle for both the 60 and 80?
They don't have very much in common execpt for the steering knuckle? Would you rather have me rewrite the queation but ask the same thing? Is it wrong to ask a quastion about both the 60 and 80. I think that most people that have an 80 don't have a 60 and vise versa. I would assume that if the 80 needs grease the 60 would too but I could be wrong. That is why I asked it in both palces. How many people read both sections unless they have more than one LC. If there is ao many reading both why are they divided?
rant off
kurt

Kurt,
Post back your findings after you've got all the responses from all the other places you asked. If we concur or disagree then we'll let you know. ::)
-B-

I think the debate is that some people might think that you can repack the birfields this way. I agree with that statement. But Toyota wouldn't put the hole plug on all LC and trucks with solid axle and then say in the manual to grease for no reason, would they. Then again it might be a design flaw from Toyota for all these years. I don't want a debate the issue, I jsut want to do what is right.
kurt

Kurt,
We hashed this out for days right here about 8 weeks ago. Search the 80s section using "knuckle plug" (all words.) Read and look at the pictures.

Get a consensus from the other places you have asked the question. Form an educated opinion and post back in this thread with your analysis.

I'm done with this thread.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom