LSPV Adjustment with Pictures (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The amount you lower the LSPV valve down the frame and/or adjust the nut at the axle depends on your individual lift. It takes some tweaking to get it right without multiple brake pressure gauges. For a 2.5" to a 3" lift I would recommend starting with a 1/2" drop of the valve on the frame (I accomplished this by using nuts as spacers between the frame and the valve) and then tweaking the nut at the axle starting from the bottom. The higher you raise the nut at the axle the more brake force is applied to the rear wheels.

If you don't have a lift, I don't think you'd need to mess with anything except adjusting the nut at the axle.
I have 2.5" OME. I read multiple sources that it should only lower 1/4 inch, so I think I will start there.

I have a 4" lift and 1/2 inch drop at the frame plus full adjustment of the nut up at the axle was not enough for me.

1/4" sounds like a decent place to start for 2.5" lift.

My LSPV was so rusted that I had to use a chisel to remove it.
I used the brake pressure gauge to set up my adjustable brake proportioning valve. The rear brakes no longer lock up before the front brakes do. I am not sure how much to adjust when hauling heavy loads.
s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all. The LSPV adjustment is a topic that seems to come up pretty often, so when I was doing mine I took some photos for posting here.

Credit where credit is due -- searching for LSPV will lead to a post by Hayes in which the 'mud community explains how to do this. Maybe I'm dense, but I still felt some pictures would help, so here they are with a simple step-by-step. Hopefully fellow one-:banana: driveway mechs will find it helpful.

The LSPV is most easily accessed by removing the left rear wheel. It's held to a bracket the frame, in front of the shock, by two studs that pass through an oval slot, and secured there by two nuts.

Common wisdom is to move it down 1/4" for the OME Heavy lift. I used a Sharpie to mark the current location of the LSPV, the desired location, and the LSPV itself.

LSPV_Before.jpg

I also marked the back side so as to keep the same horizontal orientation. I don't know if it matters, but it seems like it can't hurt.

Anyway, loosen those two nuts a bit and slide the LSPV down until the marks line up. Tighten it back down and it's done.

LSPV_After.jpg

That's really all there is to it. In hindsight it's one of the simpler things there is to do.
I can’t see any picture for visual reference ! I lifted my 1993 rig about 2 1/2-3 aprox. Should I reposition the lspv ? Thanks

This thread was a life saver! Squishy brakes no more! FWIW, I had to adjust the nuts near the axel side because the bracket on my 94 is bolted from but bottom but also the side, so I could not simply drop it down with spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom