LS1 conversions help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mr FJ55

200 series GXR V8 Diesel 2015 Twin Turbo
Threads
Hi Guys!!!
I need your help please , my project LS1 -5.7 engine conversions to my toy FJ60 88 with H55F 5 speed .
All I need guys to guide me to the easiest way for engine conversions also the parts need it for my project, names of the parts , sites selling the parts.

Thanks

I would love to have an LS1 motor in my truck, i love those engines. Its the mecca of small block chevydom. I love my truck as it is but man would it be wicked to have a stick and a big bundle of horsepower under the hood. Why dont you toss another t-case in there for good measure?

Ok, and now something constructive.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/
Everything ive seen from these guys seems like quality stuff.

http://www.car-part.com is a good resource for finding a truck LSx complete motor.

FYI- Truck '99+ 5.3 and 6.0 LSx style engines are iron blocks/alum heads. They have the same computers that can be reprogrammed and individual coil pack per cylinder, very efficient cylinder head design, and super strong crankshaft/block design. They also have the alternator mounted up top (keep away from water) and are fly by wire throttlebodies. You would need the gas pedal and wiring associated with it.

The LS1/LS6 engines from the Fbody's are all aluminum and 100lbs lighter. 5.7 liters. Their downfall in an offroad application is the low mounted alternator; however all the truck LSx accessories are interchangeable (you need to swap over the harmonic balancer/h2o pump also). These also have cable style throttlebodies.

The Vette LS1/LS6 engine is also all aluminum and has the alternator mounted up top. It is a flybywire TB as well.

The truck style LSx engines command less $$$ over the LS1/LS6 style setups. ALso the 5.3's would be cheaper than the 6.0 engines and put out plenty of power.

If you need more power you could always put an STS (rear mounted turbo) on the biatch for 500rwhp+! ;p

Hope that H55F can hold up to the torque. With an upgraded cam and some headers with a repgrommed PCM you could probably have a 13 second LandCruiser ;).

Thanks Alot Guys :beer: :beer:

i just went with a bare bones vortec 350, then got a throttle body kit from summit racing...it was awesome, and much less than the full blown ls1 conversion. i got the conversion parts from downey and spent around 800 for that(clutch included). from there it was beer and the occasional tweak from a sledge hammer.

tpattyII said:
i just went with a bare bones vortec 350, then got a throttle body kit from summit racing...it was awesome, and much less than the full blown ls1 conversion. i got the conversion parts from downey and spent around 800 for that(clutch included). from there it was beer and the occasional tweak from a sledge hammer.

one of my friend suggested that to swap vortec engine with aluminum block 310hp @5200rpm torque 335@4000rpm better and Easier than LS1 conversions .
i'm not sure about nv4500 transmission can be fit smoothly without any fabrication .

i used the stock toyota 4 speed tranny when i did my conversion. it had around 230,000 miles on it when i did the swap and its doing just fine.

one last bit of advice...im not an expert on landcruisers by any means but i will say this.

dont take any short cuts!!! i got my 350 stuck in my FJ60 and had a ton of bugs to work out. go the fuel injection route, dont settle for a carb. and make sure the people that run your exhaust do a good job of tucking everything up high. i made the company that did my exhaust redo it 3 times before i paid them for it. they kept being lazy and letting the pipes and cats hang low to the ground...which sorta defeats the purpose of trying to make a good off road rig. other than that id just say, take your time if you are doing it yourself or if you are having someone else do it...make sure they know what the hell they are doing.

Of note:

A stock LS1 with LS6 intake, ported TB, headers, good exhaust will make nearly 300 flywheel torque at 2K RPM. If you have the $$ for a 5.3/6.0 or LS1 (all alum) go for it. The factory heads flow nearly 250cfm and with simple bolts ons (headers etc) you can get some pretty impressive results.

Cruise Control?

I am doing the 5.3 + 4L60e right now on my FJ62. I am using a 2000 5.3 from a Silverado. Does anyone know where I can find some help on a cruise control? I actually will use this for a DD and would love to have cruise if I can.

Scott

tpattyII said:
one last bit of advice...im not an expert on landcruisers by any means but i will say this.

dont take any short cuts!!! i got my 350 stuck in my FJ60 and had a ton of bugs to work out. go the fuel injection route, dont settle for a carb. and make sure the people that run your exhaust do a good job of tucking everything up high. i made the company that did my exhaust redo it 3 times before i paid them for it. they kept being lazy and letting the pipes and cats hang low to the ground...which sorta defeats the purpose of trying to make a good off road rig. other than that id just say, take your time if you are doing it yourself or if you are having someone else do it...make sure they know what the hell they are doing.

Thanks for ur advice

what bellhousing and flywheel & clutch to be used for this conversions?

Does anyone know what year/model SBC started comming with the one piece real main seal?

Also, I've heard the 5.7 350s weigh about 200lbs. less that a 2F, If thats true, do you really need an all aluminum block?

P.S. Ive heard a book called Jags that Run is a good resource for SBC swaps.

I've also heard from a BAR ref that going pre 95 is easier for those of us that are dealing with smog requirements.

It also seems like TBI is easier to fix on the trail opposed to TPI?

Any feedback on this?

Sorry to jack you post!
Bryan

A 5.7 & 4L60E weigh about the same as a 2F & 4speed, but it shifts the weight about 6-12" rearward. No point to an aluminum block IMHO. You'd need a chin spoiler to keep it on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom