LS Swap Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a reputable shop with a good turnaround time. Could anybody point me in the right direction for a local shop in the east valley who has had one done there before? Or is my smartest move taking it to Slee and letting the big boys rip my girls heart out and replace it? Not sure if this is the place to ask but I'm a new guy and not the best navigating forums😁

There's tons of shops that'll do LS swaps, I'm just not sure how quick the tournaround is as I've never inquired myself. @ARJMN did one but I'm not sure how long it took. Maybe contact @torfab too.

Being from Tucson I don't think there's any shop I would trust enough to do an LS swap let alone any engine work on my rigs.

I appreciate the response, I PMd @ARJMN just havent heard back .. figured he wasn't the only one. I was doing some dealership window shopping and would rather spend 20K on a swap that I can keep forever than a car that's I'll hate 3 months into ownership ha. Already neck deep in the cruiser might as well go all in

Tony at tempe speed and performance , his shop specializes in ls swaps. he did majority of work on my swap, as for time like all good shops he is busy. Follow up on a few adds or corrections have been great.

My swap went into a 60 series body with a 80 series chassis, so a hybrid build. There was quite a bit of extra work so cost and time really wouldn't be applicable to a straight ls conversion, give Tony a call I'm sure he would be able to give you a ball park price. he had a 62 series in his shop last time I was there.

If you're not mechanically inclined I suggest you get a shop close to home that can do the swap so if you ever have any repairs or glitches that need fixed there there to do it most shops won't touch a conversion vehicle. 80 series get some more complicated with a lot of digital converters and involved wiring changes. Keep the shop nearby so there's someone to work on it. LS swaps are never quick no matter who's doing it so hope you have another car you can drive for quite some time. Or sell it and get a 100 or 200 series that's already done lol

I appreciate the response, I PMd @ARJMN just havent heard back .. figured he wasn't the only one. I was doing some dealership window shopping and would rather spend 20K on a swap that I can keep forever than a car that's I'll hate 3 months into ownership ha. Already neck deep in the cruiser might as well go all in
Sorry, I'll go check my PM.

If you're not mechanically inclined I suggest you get a shop close to home that can do the swap so if you ever have any repairs or glitches that need fixed there there to do it most shops won't touch a conversion vehicle. 80 series get some more complicated with a lot of digital converters and involved wiring changes. Keep the shop nearby so there's someone to work on it. LS swaps are never quick no matter who's doing it so hope you have another car you can drive for quite some time. Or sell it and get a 100 or 200 series that's already done lol

When did the 100 or 200 series start using LS engine❓ 😊

I think Murf was referencing that they come with V-8's

Last edited:
Get the 100 and do a SAS!

Get the 100 and do a SAS!
This is the way to do it. Just changing mechanical vs complexities of engine/electrical/emissions/engine management/cooling. I believe resale also may more attractive when that day comes.
Did I mention cooling? The newer gen Chevy engines are hard to keep cool, there's limited space for a larger radiator, and its Arizona. Sorry, Not trying to dampen your spirit but you may want to do some research first.

Murf is correct. The LS engine family runs hotter than the 1FZ-FE, and when you stuff it in the engine bay, you fowl up the airflow. You will have to take some good steps to keep it cool. The very first thing to ask yourself is "Why do an LS swap?" If you just want a V8 LC, then a 100 or 200 series might be better. I just drove a 200 today and that thing flys! For me, I had a 100 before sold it, and wanted an 80. My 80 unfortunately had a motor that went south on the drive home from picking it up. I was looking at $5k+ for a full rebuild, so for me it was a matter of spend that, or go a bit more and have some fun with a swap. At this point in time, I can say whole heartedly that it was worth it. Would I do it all over again.........not so sure on that one. It is NOT an easy swap. It is NOT a cheap swap. I am at around $9k on engine, XMSN, adapter, harness, and misc, and I am not done. I am still smoothing out the cooling challenge.

In the end, you need to figure out what you want out of it. I wanted an 80 series with lockers, and more power. I have no plans to sell my rig, so for me, it is worth the time, money, and effort to do the swap. It will white smoke the tires, and run 75 up hill, but it was also 11 months of weekends in the garage and it is still only 95% done. There is a reason Slee, TLC, PRC, and others charge so much for the swap.......

Hope that helps. Reach out if you have questions.

It does makes sense for the do it yourselfer like arjmn who installs it himself from a labor savings and an intimate understanding of how it all works and put together.

I actually contacted Slee and was told they are NOT doing motor swaps anymore ... forced to go local I guess

Well dang. When I talked to them before starting my swap, I was thrown a rough number of $27k for the swap. That included a new crate motor from what I remember. The 5.3L E-Rod. I really enjoyed my swap, and still do. The biggest key, and the point where most DIY swaps run out of gas, is the wiring. I am still running down answers on mine. Almost there, but still working on it.

Pays to be a wiring genius it appears 😁 I really want to go V8 but maybe I'm better off just rebuilding motor and trans. Know any shops out here that specialize in our 1FZEs? I know some shops wont even touch them and for good reason. If I cant go V8 a supercharger or the new Wits End Turbo have peaked my interest and for the rebuild and turbo/charger I'd probably be in at less than half of what I'd pay for the LS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom