LRA Tank Squeak (24 gal) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HSTexan

GOLD Star
Threads
I just picked up my Cruiser from Slee last Friday and am noticing a newly developed squeak in the past couple days that is definitely coming from the LRA tank. I did drive back through a snowstorm and then promptly powerwashed the underside to get any salt off. Not sure if that contributed, but I do see some issues could be moisture related so I'm trying to figure out the common problem areas that I can try to lube up to see if that helps. Basically every thread I've seen regarding LRA squeaks involve the 12.5gal tanks instead--anyone had squeaks with the 24gal and what was the fix? Any specific areas I should be focusing efforts on to find it? Figured I'd hit the bolts and any obvious contact points with some white lithium grease to see if that helps in the meantime

I just picked up my Cruiser from Slee last Friday and am noticing a newly developed squeak in the past couple days that is definitely coming from the LRA tank. I did drive back through a snowstorm and then promptly powerwashed the underside to get any salt off. Not sure if that contributed, but I do see some issues could be moisture related so I'm trying to figure out the common problem areas that I can try to lube up to see if that helps. Basically every thread I've seen regarding LRA squeaks involve the 12.5gal tanks instead--anyone had squeaks with the 24gal and what was the fix? Any specific areas I should be focusing efforts on to find it? Figured I'd hit the bolts and any obvious contact points with some white lithium grease to see if that helps in the meantime
Welcome to the family. I also run the 24 gallon LRA tank, which PO had installed at a shop that either did not follow the instructions, or did not have the instructions. That squeak tends to be the result of two body tabs (I think both related to mounting the spare) not being cut off, the tank sitting incorrectly, and frequently includes rubbing on either the body, the charcoal canister, or some of both. In my case, the CC harness also received stress, and I had to fix that, as well. In short, the rubbing is likely happening on the top side of the LRA.

Suggestion: drop the tank and inspect for chafing, particularly in the spots mentioned above. Then, download the latest version of the install manual and confirm that any cut-off bits are actually cut off. Then, check the threads for mention of someone installing rubber on the possible contact points on the tank; I did not install this, but some people swear by it. I am squeak free.

Welcome to the family. I also run the 24 gallon LRA tank, which PO had installed at a shop that either did not follow the instructions, or did not have the instructions. That squeak tends to be the result of two body tabs (I think both related to mounting the spare) not being cut off, the tank sitting incorrectly, and frequently includes rubbing on either the body, the charcoal canister, or some of both. In my case, the CC harness also received stress, and I had to fix that, as well. In short, the rubbing is likely happening on the top side of the LRA.

Suggestion: drop the tank and inspect for chafing, particularly in the spots mentioned above. Then, download the latest version of the install manual and confirm that any cut-off bits are actually cut off. Then, check the threads for mention of someone installing rubber on the possible contact points on the tank; I did not install this, but some people swear by it. I am squeak free.

Downloaded the installation manual to see where the tabs were located. I can see the the one closest to the front of the vehicle on the crossmember was cut, so perhaps I'm too trusting, but I would have to believe the top two are cut as well. I trust Slee who has probably installed hundreds of these tanks to know what they're doing in regards to trimming, etc. After shaking the back end with my foot while laying under I think you are probably correct that it does sound like the squeak is coming from the top side toward the very back of the vehicle close to the bumper. For starters I'll just need to deal with it for a bit as the tank is 100% full so I at least need to drive it enough to empty it out and lighten it for any sort of work. I also shot Slee an e-mail to see what their checklist would look like as far as which of the points might be the most likely culprit in their experience with how they do their installs. Once I hear back we will see how involved it is for me or if I just want to have my local shop do it as messing with the fuel system is pretty far down my list of what I feel comfortable with. Appreciate the response so I at least have a better idea of what it might be. What's also interesting is that I mainly hear it almost at idling speeds while backing out of my driveway or a parking space, but once on the road even with the windows down and going slow or fast I can't hear it anymore.

ETA: Went back and out crawled under and can definitely see one of the other tabs on the driver's side was cut off

Last edited:
Downloaded the installation manual to see where the tabs were located. I can see the the one closest to the front of the vehicle on the crossmember was cut, so perhaps I'm too trusting, but I would have to believe the top two are cut as well. I trust Slee who has probably installed hundreds of these tanks to know what they're doing in regards to trimming, etc. After shaking the back end with my foot while laying under I think you are probably correct that it does sound like the squeak is coming from the top side toward the very back of the vehicle close to the bumper. For starters I'll just need to deal with it for a bit as the tank is 100% full so I at least need to drive it enough to empty it out and lighten it for any sort of work. I also shot Slee an e-mail to see what their checklist would look like as far as which of the points might be the most likely culprit in their experience with how they do their installs. Once I hear back we will see how involved it is for me or if I just want to have my local shop do it as messing with the fuel system is pretty far down my list of what I feel comfortable with. Appreciate the response so I at least have a better idea of what it might be. What's also interesting is that I mainly hear it almost at idling speeds while backing out of my driveway or a parking space, but once on the road even with the windows down and going slow or fast I can't hear it anymore.

ETA: Went back and out crawled under and can definitely see one of the other tabs on the driver's side was cut off
I clearly did not read your post thoroughly the first time: knowing that Slee did the install, I would zero-percent worry about things like 'did not follow instructions.' They are gold by reputation. Also, their reputation for answering questions (even dumb ones, ask me know I know) thoroughly is great.

If you don't get clarity from Slee, ask them if they modified the mounting brackets of the charcoal canister. In one of the 900 poasts on the LRA topic here, there is one from which I got the tip to mod the CC bracket to create more (just a little) space between the top of the LRA and the bottom of the CC. It's a bit of a hack job workaround, so I don't know if Slee would do that. Don't think it's in the LRA manual, either.

MUDgineering Inspiration: What have you done to your 200 Series this week? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-200-series-this-week.818471/page-686#post-14351405

I clearly did not read your post thoroughly the first time: knowing that Slee did the install, I would zero-percent worry about things like 'did not follow instructions.' They are gold by reputation. Also, their reputation for answering questions (even dumb ones, ask me know I know) thoroughly is great.

If you don't get clarity from Slee, ask them if they modified the mounting brackets of the charcoal canister. In one of the 900 poasts on the LRA topic here, there is one from which I got the tip to mod the CC bracket to create more (just a little) space between the top of the LRA and the bottom of the CC. It's a bit of a hack job workaround, so I don't know if Slee would do that. Don't think it's in the LRA manual, either.

MUDgineering Inspiration: What have you done to your 200 Series this week? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-200-series-this-week.818471/page-686#post-14351405

That's a pretty awesome recommendation to check if Slee doesn't have an answer for me. At least if I do send it to my local shop I have a direction to point them--thank you very much!

There is a rear crossmember for the tank that is notched to accommodate the exhaust hanger. I had a rub there with the exhaust hanger and it was a PITA to diagnose.

If your squeak is intermittent and is more prevalent when you are facing uphill, that is a good place to look. That notch may show some witness marks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom