LRA 24 Gallon Tank - Main Tank "Fill Issues" (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone with one of the early LRA auxiliary tanks have trouble filling the main tank? Anything much faster than a trickle backs up.

What I've already done:
  1. blew out lines, confirmed no obstruction
  2. replaced breather filter
  3. added strap to prevent kinking in fill hose below the metal, upper section
  4. fixed flow path so overfill doesn't flow directly into evap cannister
Aux tank fills with no problem.

How long have you had the aux tank in before you noticed this problem?

If the aux tank installation is recent, then you may want to double check the lines.
If you have had it for a while, then there is a valve on the vapor box to release pressure and open the vent when the vehicle is stopped and turned off.
Did you notice any pressure when undoing the fuel cap? The value usually throws a code when it fails.

I have had the 24 gallon LRA in my 2018 LC 200 for a couple years now. Works great. I recently got back from a trip to Utah where too say the least I was not on level pavement :). Had the rig in some fun stuff off road. Had some venting gas pressure/smell out of the filler inlet so I vented it when I got to camp with the truck off and the gas cap removed. The smell went away and all was good until the ride home I got a service engine light and the emissions code for loose gas cap or charcoal filter (P 0446). I checked the gas cap and made sure it was tight and disconnected the battery and the check engine light cleared. I still have a maintenance alert to “see your dealer for service” under the information tab but no check engine light and the truck is driving normal with no gas smell. Anyone have advice on how to vent the system further or another idea? Want to try that and see if that clears the maintenance alert. Or if I really need to take it in to be looked at.

1. fixed flow path so overfill doesn't flow directly into evap cannister
What mod did you make here? This is the plumbing diagram from the install guide:
1714161458596.png

I've never had an issue filling either the aux or the main tank. Just curious what you did here. The only way I see to prevent overfill from going into the evap can is to mount the evap can higher but I don't see any way to practically achieve that apart from putting it in the cabin which doesn't seem like a great idea, though I've thought about it just to have easier access.

I have had the 24 gallon LRA in my 2018 LC 200 for a couple years now. Works great. I recently got back from a trip to Utah where too say the least I was not on level pavement :). Had the rig in some fun stuff off road. Had some venting gas pressure/smell out of the filler inlet so I vented it when I got to camp with the truck off and the gas cap removed. The smell went away and all was good until the ride home I got a service engine light and the emissions code for loose gas cap or charcoal filter (P 0446). I checked the gas cap and made sure it was tight and disconnected the battery and the check engine light cleared. I still have a maintenance alert to “see your dealer for service” under the information tab but no check engine light and the truck is driving normal with no gas smell. Anyone have advice on how to vent the system further or another idea? Want to try that and see if that clears the maintenance alert. Or if I really need to take it in to be looked at.

Did you clear the code and then got it again?

If you didn't clear the code .. I would clear the code and see if it comes back.

My 18gal one is installed since 2008. The fuel pump was never rly fast or something like but at least fast enough pump everything within like 40min

The code is showing as a permanent code in my OBD Fusion scanner. The P 0446 code.
Yes .. I understand the perm part.. but did it "show again" and did you clear it?
Most OBD scanners will let you "clear/erase the code". It will then erase the code P0446 code that causes the "see dealer" and leave the perm p0446 code there.
The code is in 2 places.
After erasing the erasable code, the "see dealer" should go away and leave the perm code there.

Then it takes several cycles/trips for the perm code to self clear, provided it is not re-occurring.

If it keeps re-occurring then I am not sure how to fix that vent valve other than to replace the cannister.
Maybe take that vent hose off and make sure the cannister is not full of fuel, but I'm not sure.
As you likely know the valve is in the cannister above the aux tank.

Maybe someone else on here know how to replace just the valve?

Hope that makes sence.

I was in UT also .. but not with this group. Ran a bunch of trails there it was fun.

Thank you for the help I didn’t realize it could take a couple trips to clear the code. I will check the valve and hose as well and keep an eye on it. Really appreciate the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom