Lower control arm replace the bushings and service or replace the whole arm? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Using heat, it didn’t take a tremendous amount of force to get the bushing moving, but getting the force in a straight vector was a challenge without the jack. My compression press kept sliding off and getting the force at an angle, as well as marring the outer sleeve when it did so. I had no issues getting it all back together afterwards.
I used the method when I did the uppers on my 97 4R. Hold it in my 20 ton press, heat and bottle jack in the middle. Load the bottle jack between the bushing and heat... flies out the bushing.

I've been working on developing the LCA bushing press tool for the 100 for a while. Finally got it figured out and added to my website.

I've made a few YouTube videos and a PDF with instructions for the tool/how to use it both in the arm and in the frame of the truck. It's a great way to save some $$$ instead of buying new LCAs and having a shop tear out the frame bushings.

Attachments

• BPT-1K_instructions-8:28:23.pdf
    339.4 KB · Views: 53
This is an expensive endeavor to perform no matter how you shake it so you only want to do it once.

Definitely order new oem lower or upper control arms. Amayama offers a significant discount last time i looked.

You’ll get the best ball joints and bushings and won’t have to do the same job twice.

Mine is an 04 and changed everything at 300,000 miles. New arms with bushings front and rear. If you are game for the work replacing just bushings then hit it. Considering the age, you may consider getting new OEM parts at key locations, they might not be available next time these things are needed.

How do you know when it’s time to replace these front LCA bushings?

I suspect mine need to be replaced because I have some vibration between 70 and 75 mph that I can’t seem to fix. I have tried balancing, different wheels, bearings, alignments and even steering rack. I think my ball joints are good too, after checking for play with a lever. The vibration only seems to happen on some roads but when it happens it’s a very rhythmic/periodic vibration. If I speed up it goes away too. I *think* I can modulate it by turning the steering wheel too

AZ 01 LX with 220k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom