Builds Love at first sight FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would of never thought that I would buy an fj40, I always had plans of maybe some day getting myself a little 80's pickup. After golf one day I came upon a 1976 land cruiser parked in a field with a for sale sign in the window, I thought it was the coolest thing I ever did see. I hopped out of my 4Runner to check it out and take pictures, my wife could tell how awesome I thought it was. Couple days later I gave him a call and asked how much he is asking, the price scared me away a bit but I still knew I had to have it, i felt like this was my only chance to ever own one of these. A week later I talked to the owner again and he said he must of had close to 40 phone calls, that's when I withdrawn the money from my account and asked to take a second look. The fact that it actually ran and drove was just a bonus to me. The Now previous owner was so upset to sign the papers over, but he had too due to a farm full of vehicles and his wife over his shoulder. Long storey long, I absolutely love this thing and love tinkering with it and poking at the rust and envisioning what some day it can become!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good find. This poor 40 NEEDED you! Your formal education in all things LC begins (not to mention all the new cuss words you will yell). Welcome to the site AND the madness.

Last edited:
Thank you! Any spare time at work that I get, I usually spend it reading about these fj40's. I'm thinking I'll be spending lots of time on this website!

I'm guessing that at a minimum the tub is gone, and since a PO so helpfully pierced your sill for that roof rack, that will need a rebuild, at a minimum.

But my personal belief is that you can drive a roached out 40 for quite awhile with those issues, if you don't want to dig that deep into it, yet.

All that diamond plate! I shudder to think what it is covering.

Welcome to the wonderful world of FJ40's, and MUD. Keep us up to date with the progress. Inquiring minds want to know.

As title;

If you can love a truck, don't think about where this one has been, how it suffered and what it has gone through, just enjoy it in the moment

Nive find, welcome to this madness

:cheers:

Sweet! Good luck. What's the frame look like?

Haha thanks guys, I will not dive too deep just yet. A new gas tank is on the way, have to fix some holes in floor and put a new exhaust on. And then I can play with her! Who knows maybe 5 or 10 years I'll do an in depth rebuild, but for now I can enjoy her as she is.

Welcome to the sickness. It looks like your rig has some issues here and there, but that just means you can drive it off road and not worry about it getting banged up. :steer:

Not being rude, but what price range did you have to spend? It helps to know what the market is on these trucks.

Well yea that's just the thing, I have a 2015 trail edition 4Runner and I'm thinking I should stop taking it as deep into the bush as I do. That's why I have the FJ now!
I ended up paying $3700

image.jpeg

Soooo, thinking that changing differential fluids would be easy... I was wrong! After laying on the ground messing around with the diff fill plug for an hour I finally gave up and left it for the next day. The FJ beat me this time, I was getting very frustrated and mad but I had to stop and tell myself " this is your hobby that you very much enjoy, so don't get pissed" so the next day I got back at it, a little more relaxed. And vwolah! 10 minutes later I got it free. Front one came off a lot easier. Today or tomorrow I'll be tackling transmission and transfer case.

image.jpeg

May I suggest cutting a piece of tread off an old spare tire, or grab an over-sized dog bone next time you decided to gnaw on something? That drain plug really isn't a chew toy, JAWS!

Just mess'in around. Nice find and you have a great heart to save the rig. You never know what the next derelict in line may have done to it.

Get it road worthy and enjoy it! Welcome to the forum.

Haha yea I messed her up pretty good! I cut, I grind, I weld. All I needed was a little rest to get it off.
I can only imagine if this old landcruiser had feelings, it would be oh so happy with all these new fluids and a little bit of lovin.

Welcome to the forum! We all have a soft spot for these old rigs. I would hazard a guess that many of us paid too much for our rigs, but when a FJ40 talks to you, it's usually with sweet, sweet whispers of what will come. You're on the right track by draining and replacing all the fluids, but don't forget to do it again after 500 miles or so. That will help remove a lot of the crap built up over years of neglect. It took me 3 days to get my gearbox filler cap off and it didn't look much better than yours when I was finished. A wise person once told me, "don't ever, ever remove the drain plug if the filler isn't already removed" Wise words to live by. Again, welcome!!!

Awesome! Very good words, but luckily it can sit in my garage for long as it wants :p. And who knows when or if ever the fluids have been changed. So yes might be a good idea to do again after 500 miles. Thanks everyone for the kind words and the welcomes

Last night finished off the last of the fluid changes. Bashed my hand pretty good getting transfer case filler bolt loose. After a little reading on this site I found someone recommended a 5 gallon pale and hand pump to fill these tricky spots, worked out really nice actually.

image.jpeg

Your 40 is looking MUCH better than what I started with. Be happy you have what you do for $3700. The drain plug will be a sign of things to come in terms of how long it takes to do work on these old vehicles but it is as you say a hobby. Overcoming difficulties is part of the fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom