Lost only master key at the beach, 1999 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was 1.5 hours IIRC. The pain point was that the tech ordered 2 of the full keys ($600), rather than just a basic key and then I could have programmed my existing fob keys back in as masters. Dealership agreed to give me their cost on the keys, still $400.

It takes less time to replace the ecu, cut, and program keys than it does to change a tire.

It was 1.5 hours IIRC. The pain point was that the tech ordered 2 of the full keys ($600), rather than just a basic key and then I could have programmed my existing fob keys back in as masters. Dealership agreed to give me their cost on the keys, still $400.
This is all I got. A blank eBay programmable and the silver cut from the hardware store. I'm in the car now.... engine turns at least!

Trying to decide whether I should futz around calling a locksmith to see if they can mess with the transponder for my 99 and get this eBay key loaded into the system as at least a valet key?

I saw an ad online from some locksmiths in Alabama saying there is a troubleshoot for this year of Toyotas, as far as them coming to you and re-mastering a key But they're in Alabama.

Or to just call AAA and get towed to the nearest Toyota dealer and prepare for the heavy damage bill. This is such a drag! Really appreciate you all weighing in it seems like my only option is to go to the dealer is that correct? I found this online:

"There are a few special notes about some older Toyota vehicles that you may need to check out if you have a car, truck, or SUV that is 1998-2004. Certain models of earlier Toyota's equipped with a "Type 1" vehicle immobilizer unit require a specialized process known as flashing because Toyota did not permit access to the ECU via the cars' OBD-II Port."
I assume that's why locksmith can't help... is that right?

20201017_075807.jpg

This is all I got. A blank eBay programmable and the silver cut from the hardware store. I'm in the car now.... engine not turning over.

Trying to decide whether I should futz around calling a locksmith to see if they can mess with the transponder for my 99 and get this eBay key loaded into the system as at least a valet key?

Or to just call AAA and get towed to the nearest Toyota dealer and prepare for the heavy damage bill. This is such a drag! Really appreciate you all weighing in it seems like my only option is to go to the dealer is that correct? I found this online:

"There are a few special notes about some older Toyota vehicles that you may need to check out if you have a car, truck, or SUV that is 1998-2004. Certain models of earlier Toyota's equipped with a "Type 1" vehicle immobilizer unit require a specialized process known as flashing because Toyota did not permit access to the ECU via the cars' OBD-II Port."
I assume that's why locksmith can't help... is that right?

View attachment 2467671

A lot of locksmiths can flash the ecu. You might try calling around. I doubt if a dealer has the proper ecu in stock.

Flashing the ecu puts it into auto registration mode allowing you to add 2 master keys and 1 valet just by inserting them into the ignition switch.

Probably the only way to get your truck back on the road today would be to find a locksmith that can flash your ecu.

Probably the only way to get your truck back on the road today would be to find a locksmith that can flash your ecu.

^^^^^

This is correct and his only option.

No amount of doing the Hokie Pokie with the pedals or anything else is going to program a new transponder key IF you don't have a Master or have the ECU reflashed.

This is what I would do:
  • Flatbed it home
  • Order ECU from @Mauser
  • Have dealer cuts a Corolla key by VIN, or cuts your current blank key if you are sure it is the right blank
  • Leave for a trip on Sunday
  • Return from trip
  • Install ECU and have a running cruiser

Rent a metal detector and go back to the beach. My luck it would be high tide.

You might try calling junkyards in your area. You could get lucky and find an ecu with keys.

I have bought quite a few used ecus from Benzeen Auto in Rancho Cordova.

Really appreciating all these avenues of action!
Not entirely clear why I would need a new ECU versus just having a locksmith try to flash mine?

I just burned 1,000 kilocals raking the beach for 2 hours. Posted local ads looking for a metal detector aficionado.
Meantime, prob. call locksmiths to see if any can come flash. It's the quickest solution.
Are there any disadvantages to doing that? Other than not being able to make new keys from my OEM original ECU using the pedal pound method in the future?

I do like the "flatbed it home" suggestion + order a new ECU, but don't understand why I'd need that if I could get a locksmith make a new key today on-site?
Thanks for explaining to those of us who are more dim-witted about such things ... such as myself. Always a learning process.

Oh and, yeah, the tide came up!
20201017_083455.jpg

Really appreciating all these avenues of action!
Not entirely clear why I would need a new ECU versus just having a locksmith try to flash mine?

I just burned 1,000 kilocals raking the beach for 2 hours. Posted local ads looking for a metal detector aficionado.
Meantime, prob. call locksmiths to see if any can come flash. It's the quickest solution.
Are there any disadvantages to doing that? Other than not being able to make new keys from my OEM original ECU using the pedal pound method in the future?

I do like the "flatbed it home" suggestion + order a new ECU, but don't understand why I'd need that if I could get a locksmith make a new key today on-site?
Thanks for explaining to those of us who are more dim-witted about such things ... such as myself. Always a learning process.

Oh and, yeah, the tide came up!
View attachment 2467746

If you can find a locksmith to flash your ecu you will still be able to add keys later using the pedal dance. No disadvantages at all. If you find a locksmith that can do the work you can probably save quite a bit of cash by pulling the ecu and taking it to them.

You don't need anything new. I can message you my phone number if you want.

I don't think any Locksmith can beat @Mauser on price.

I didn't say order a NEW ECU.

I said order ECU from @Mauser.

Hoping to simplify.

The traditional portion of the key is not the problem - good that you at least have it but it will never start your truck without a correct RF chip.

The RF chip in the key is read by the ECU - if it is recognized by the ECU (having been previously programmed in) it will start the vehicle.

If there is no RF chip (your simple key) or an unrecognized RF chip the ECU will not start the truck.

A replacement ECU that is "new" (functional but without keys programmed "virginized") will accept and store codes from the first three RF chipped keys inserted.

A replacement ECU with matching (previously programmed) RF keys can be substituted for yours and work. (Junk yard)

The data (computer code) in your existing ECU can be carefully modified to remove existing key data and "virginize" your ECU so it thinks it is brand new, and therefore able to accept the first three keys inserted. (This is what Mauser does - he did it for me)

Someone experienced/comfortable with reprogramming installed eeproms (or removing, reprogramming, and replacing them) could do this if they have/know the proper modified code.

A locksmith local to you now MAY be able to perform this service - but I would bet you could go through several who misunderstand your question/needs and still charge you.

I would be calling locksmiths and junk yards, combing the beach with a metal detector, getting an ECU overnighted by Mauser, and preparing to flat-bed my truck home / pay a dealer four digits.

I don't think any Locksmith can beat @Mauser on price.

I didn't say order a NEW ECU.

I said order ECU from @Mauser.
Understood, thanks I used the wrong word... instead of new, I meant replacement.

If you can find a locksmith to flash your ecu you will still be able to add keys later using the pedal dance. No disadvantages at all. If you find a locksmith that can do the work you can probably save quite a bit of cash by pulling the ecu and taking it to them.

You don't need anything new. I can message you my phone number if you want.
Hey @Mauser, you are the bomb! Yes, please message your number.
A mobile locksmith is en route now.
I described all the LC details to his dispatch, who said they could flash the ECU and cut my replacement (eBay) RFID key for $280.
God willing it works! Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Hoping to simplify.

The traditional portion of the key is not the problem - good that you at least have it but it will never start your truck without a correct RF chip.

The RF chip in the key is read by the ECU - if it is recognized by the ECU (having been previously programmed in) it will start the vehicle.

If there is no RF chip (your simple key) or an unrecognized RF chip the ECU will not start the truck.

A replacement ECU that is "new" (functional but without keys programmed "virginized") will accept and store codes from the first three RF chipped keys inserted.

A replacement ECU with matching (previously programmed) RF keys can be substituted for yours and work. (Junk yard)

The data (computer code) in your existing ECU can be carefully modified to remove existing key data and "virginize" your ECU so it thinks it is brand new, and therefore able to accept the first three keys inserted. (This is what Mauser does - he did it for me)

Someone experienced/comfortable with reprogramming installed eeproms (or removing, reprogramming, and replacing them) could do this if they have/know the proper modified code.

A locksmith local to you now MAY be able to perform this service - but I would bet you could go through several who misunderstand your question/needs and still charge you.

I would be calling locksmiths and junk yards, combing the beach with a metal detector, getting an ECU overnighted by Mauser, and preparing to flat-bed my truck home / pay a dealer four digits.
Big thank you for describing all this. I knew the first 30%... the rest is super enlightening.
When you say "virginize" the ECU, is that the equivalent to "flashing" it? Make sure I have the technical terms right.

Big thank you for describing all this. I knew the first 30%... the rest is super enlightening.
When you say "virginize" the ECU, is that the equivalent to "flashing" it? Make sure I have the technical terms right.

Yes, "virginized" is perhaps Mauser's term and means the same as "flashed". Software reprogrammed to the original pre-installed state - ready to automatically accept and store the first three RF keys presented.

To expand a little, "flashing" can be accomplished in a few ways - all of them involve rewriting data stored on a EEPROM in the ECU.

All the information can be completely rewritten, or just the key data can be selectively edited.
Either can be done with the chip still mounted on the ECU board or with the chip removed and then replaced. Depends on skills/preferences + tools available.

After realizing I had NO master I spent a couple of weeks preparing to rewrite my own -reading and buying some tools- and then found one of Mauser's generous offers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom