Lost only master key at the beach, 1999 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.goldendolphinfilms.com
Hi sorry if this is a redundant I'm sure there are other posts about this. But it's late and I need to jump on this first thing in the morning. I have a 1999 with only one master key that is now lost somewhere on the beach. I have a metal valet key. And then I have a yet-to-be programmed key I bought on eBay. Can I have a locksmith come out and try to re.master the eBay key? Or do I need to get my car somehow to a Toyota dealer and get a new ECU? I'm supposed to leave town early Sunday morning so timing is a priority. Thanks for weighing in everybody!

You don't need a 'new' ECU but you do need to have your old one reprogrammed by a locksmith with that capability and then have him make you (and program) a couple of masters. Then....I'd recommend you keep a 'spare' master someplace... from this point forward.

I have an ecu for your 99 ready to accept new keys. Don't know how to get ot from NM to you by Sunday though.

Last edited:
I am sure you can find a locksmith that can help. It probably won't be cheap. Probably cost $300-$400. If you know someone (computer nerd) that can remove, reprogram, and replace a small eeprom I can give you the virgin code.

You are in luck! Well sort of, I see you have a 99 model.

My locksmith cut a new key based on the serial number and some translated security encryption key numbers that got via an internet subscription for locksmiths. Then he put some finishing touches based on wear from the original key. He had to file the key a little to account for wear on the original.

I remember he programmed the new key doing a "pedal dance" instead of trying to use a computer to program it. He couldn't have had the engine running when he did the "pedal dance" because the new key was in the ignition. He said it was easier to program a key for a 99 model using the pedal dance than it would have been trying to use his external computer.

I guess it depends on the skill level of the locksmith. I remember him saying it was easier to make a key for a 99 model than later years. It cost about $150 for the new key.

OWNER TIP:

I have multiple vehicles with chip keys. I keep the original master keys at home in a safe place and run with copies. We have lost several copies over the years without it being a big deal to get additional copies made.

Without a master you can stomp pedals until your feet fall off and still not add the new key. Its the same process for 1998-2001

You don't need a 'new' ECU but you do need to have your old one reprogrammed by a locksmith with that capability and then have him make you (and program) a couple of masters. Then....I'd recommend you keep a 'spare' master someplace... from this point forward.
Without a master you can stomp pedals until your feet fall off and still not add the new key. Its the same process for 1998-2001

Well then its bad.

I am sure you can find a locksmith that can help. It probably won't be cheap. Probably cost $300-$400. If you know someone (computer nerd) that can remove, reprogram, and replace a small eeprom I can give you the virgin code.
I need to become friendly with more computer nerds then! Unfortunately my list is non-existent. I suppose I could post a Craigslist ad: "need computer nerd to meet me at the beach" and see who shows up!
This is awesome you have this knowledge, thanks for sharing the information... I'm not sure I can manifest this route more quickly than the others, but we'll see... I appreciate you weighing in. Really wish I could do this, or understand how to do this myself.

If you have the valet key with you you can at least drive and get home and then work with Mauser to get a new set up.
From what I understand, the engine won't start with the key I have. To clarify, I just have a flat metal key cut by the hardware store which opens the door, but won't start the car.
I will get a ride to my vehicle within an hour so at least I can enter it.
From there I will call dealership to see what they say and a few area locksmiths? Being Saturday does not help and I'm trying not to waste time. It sounds like I am SOL for the pedal dance, because it is a 1999?

From what I understand, the engine won't start with the key I have. To clarify, I just have a flat metal key cut by the hardware store which opens the door, but won't start the car.
From there I will call dealership to see what they say and a few area locksmiths? Being Saturday does not help and I'm trying not to waste time. It sounds like I am SOL for the pedal dance, because it is a 1999?

Not because it's a 1999 model. The 1998-2001 can be done without a computer. However, it requires the master key at some point in the process.

If your key doesn't have a transponder chip then it cannot be added to the ecu to start the truck.

Yeah, the pedal dance won't work this time. Your ecu will need to be removed and reprogrammed with either the virgin code, or your key values will need to be read and added manually.

You might be able to get a locksmith recommendation from the dealer, but I doubt if they will be any help. Before I figured out how to reset the immo information myself dealers said I needed to replace the ecu. This cost is right around a thousand dollars.

So your valet key is just an emergency door key, as Mauser said, it doesn't have a transponder. A true valet key will start the truck, but is cut that it won't open the glove box.

Because of this "fault" in how the keys are programmed on the early models, Toyota will replace the ECU as a one time only courtesy, you pay for labor and keys. Make sure they order/use the basic Corolla type keys, not the full fob keys ($20 vs. $300). Had this done on mine when they were chasing what turned out to be a bent pin in the cluster.

So your valet key is just an emergency door key, as Mauser said, it doesn't have a transponder. A true valet key will start the truck, but is cut that it won't open the glove box.

Because of this "fault" in how the keys are programmed on the early models, Toyota will replace the ECU as a one time only courtesy, you pay for labor and keys. Make sure they order/use the basic Corolla type keys, not the full fob keys ($20 vs. $300). Had this done on mine when they were chasing what turned out to be a bent pin in the cluster.

How long ago were you able to get Toyota to replace the ecu? I had heard they ended this program a few years ago.

I'd heard that too when they did it. It was maybe 3 years ago.

I tried in 2018. Was told no more. Just out of curiosity what did they charge for labor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom