Lost Key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever had to get a replacement key from Toyota. With my luck I lost mine today (the only one I had). Can I call a dealership here in town? I assume it is going to be expensive. Don't ask me how I lost it, cuz if I knew I would probably know where it is at.

Well, in the old'en days ...

The key code was on the passenger side door cylinder. You pulled the cylinder, read the code, took it to AmToy, and they cut you a new key.

Well, in the old'en days ...

The key code was on the passenger side door cylinder. You pulled the cylinder, read the code, took it to AmToy, and they cut you a new key.

I didn't know a horse and buggy took a key.

Call up a Toy parts service and they might be able to tell you the key info based on VIN info.

The VIN doesn't work for older junk.

I called AmToy today and talked with Tom. I forgot to take the VIN with me today before I left the office so I could not give it to him. He said he can look it up and see if the truck needs to be reprogramed because of the chip. He said some of the '08 models have chips, but could not look it up without the VIN. He asked what model do I have, and when I said the SR5 V8, he said it would have to be reprogramed. So I would have to get the truck towed to the dealership, buy a key and pay for the service to reprogram the truck. I lost the key to start it. I still have the key Fob to get in and out. That sounds expensive.

I'm sorry, what's easier than pulling the lock cylinder? :grinpimp:

Burning it and collecting the insurance? :hillbilly: I wouldn't do that anyways. I will give them the VIN first and see what I need to do from there. Tom said if it doesn't have the chip he just cut me a key. Crossing my fingers.

Rudy,

I didn't know you had the V8 4Runner, cool!!

Whatever fix you get, make sure you get a couple extra keys made and have them programmed as Master keys. then put them away in your filing cabinet, sock drawer, safe deposit box, etc. The Hundy uses a chip-based key system. The fancy key with a remote stuck to the end of it is EXPENSIVE. But a Camry key with a chip and no remote on the end is like $25 and can be added to the security system. So I use the non-remote key and keep two spares with Master key coding in the filing cabinet. Danise still gets to use the only non-busted remote key.

Rudy,

I didn't know you had the V8 4Runner, cool!!

yeah, too bad the gf backed it into a parked car right away.

I I talked to Toyota again this morning to get a price quote. If I would have gone with them it would costed me about 500 bucks for a key. So I started calling locksmiths. The first one said 400. The next one couldn't make that key but gave me a number for one on RR. He quoted me just under 200 for one key, so I ordered a second key and the total was 250. Quite a difference I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom