Loss of power/trouble starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I am having some fuel issues (I think). I have a 1991 land cruiser that has a 1hdt diesel swap. At start up the truck cranks for a few seconds and won’t fire. Let off ignition and crank again and fires right up. Then while driving it bogs down and looses power and shuts off some times. Mainly looses power when going up hills but not always. Takes a bit to crank back up but will start again. I changed the fuel filter and air filter was fine but changed anyways. It had a new injector pump put on not long before me buying (roughly 2 years ago). The line from the tank to the injector pump looks new with no leaks or damage to me. Any ideas or tips?

Last edited:
Easy stuff first.
Pump the primer it should get stiff with a few pumps, if primer stay soft then check your system for vacuum leaks.
Vacuum leaks allow air to be sucked into the fuel system.
A great way to visualize this would be a length of clear 5/8" hose from the primer outlet to the injection pump intake.
You ideally see a stream of fuel and not a lot of air bubbles.

simplest thing to check is pump the hand primer pump 10 -12 times before trying to start. if it gets harder to pump, and fires up right away, you may have an air leak in the fuel system that is letting fuel drain back to the tank.

the bogging down on hills or acceleration also suggests you could be getting air into the fuel lines. you can check this by temporarily running a piece of clear hose between the fuel filter and fuel pump, look for air bubbles in the fuel while its running

Easy stuff first.
Pump the primer it should get stiff with a few pumps, if primer stay soft then check your system for vacuum leaks.
Vacuum leaks allow air to be sucked into the fuel system.
A great way to visualize this would be a length of clear 5/8" hose from the primer outlet to the injection pump intake.
You ideally see a stream of fuel and not a lot of air bubbles.
I pumped the primer quite a bit right after putting the new fuel filter on. It got stiffer but didn’t seem like it got super stiff. I’m no mechanic but I’m trying on this truck

Ok. I will give that a try. I’ll have to try and chase down some clear hose. So from the fuel filter to the injector pump correct?

Yes!

another question... my truck has been swapped to the diesel as i stated. i am going to be replacing a sending unit for the fuel gauge. any idea if those are the same in gasoline and diesel? would there be any reason to go one way or the other if not. trying to order the unit before pulling the old one that way i only have to open tank once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom