Los Angeles cruiser mechanics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been lucky to pick up a manual 1989 fj 62. It’s from a family friend who has been the single owner and left it sitting inside a garage down in Mexico for the last 5 years. I will be picking it up in about 2 weeks but it has transmission issues. Can anyone recommend a shop to fix it? I live in Los Angeles.

Ruben Bandono is the owner of a little shop in Glendale called Arnold’s Independent Service. He’s the smartest mechanic I know and he’ll work on pretty much anything. He turns up my FJ60 every 2 years and gets it to pass smog. I’d let him work on any mechanical or electrical part of any car. He don’t know off road suspension but anything else he’s great. I know he has another client with a 60 and one with an 80.

1210 E Broadway
Glendale CA 91205

Do you happen to know what engine is in the truck? 3F or 3FE ? (Carburetor or Fuel Injection)

Mark may or may not do transmission work these days as he's kind of semi-retired it seems. Best to call and make an appointment, if possible. I would certainly, at a minimum, have Mark or whatever shop you end up at give it a safety inspection first. I'm always amazed at the little things on a Cruiser Mark catches, that almost everyone else seems to overlook.

Also, you may have trouble Registering (smog) in Kalifornia, if it's a non-usa version. I'd check that out before importing

Last edited:
Just seeing this for the first time. I vaguely remember getting a call about this.

Bottom line: I haven’t taken a vehicle in for service since my mom died in July of 2020. While I am not fully retired, I am slowly but steadily ratcheting my work load down, even on the bench rebuilds. While I’ve posted that I’m not taking any more work until March, I may extend that, so it’s not likely that I will be able to help any time in the near future. Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom