Feedback on a software application targeted to classic car DIY mechanics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a software engineer who also owns an FJ60 and started working on an app targeted to classic car DIY mechanics like most of the folks here. It started out as a parts aggregator so I could easily look up a part for my 60 and find out where I could get it at the cheapest price. I'm now also starting to incorporate AI and figuring out what features to add to make it appealing to other folks. Here's a quick list I have so far:
  • Parts price aggregator (in progress)
  • Use AI to answer specific questions about a car based on data collected from manuals, etc.
  • Find a mechanic
  • Parts and consumables inventory and reminders
  • Buyer's guides
  • Vendors
  • Specifications and capacities
  • How-to guides and videos
  • Comprehensive and systematic steps to diagnose and fix issues
  • Maintenance records and reminders for upcoming recommended services.
  • Take a picture of service records to easily import

A few questions for you guys:
  1. Which of the features above are most appealing to you?
  2. Is there a feature missing from the list above that you'd like to see added?
  3. Is this an application you'd be willing to pay for on a monthly basis? If so, how much per month?
I really appreciate any and all feedback as I try to validate this idea.

This sounds super awesome, like TIS but with AI answers.

For me, jumping through the different FSMs without any scrolling would be really helpfull and an instant database for parts and availability with all parts diagrams and what not. The service records and intervals would be cool too, with reminders sent to you to change fluids or do certain things.

You can get a membership to TIS and check it out or if you know anyone who works at toyota/lexus service you can log in with their info. Its super helpful.

One cool thing that would be nice is like type in "transfercase rebuild" and have a parts list of every part you will possibly need for the job, then like have it return the oem part number, then the part number from a place like cruiser outfitters or valley hybrids etc for secondary options.

Lastly, interactive EWDs with colors and tracing ability so you dont have to squint and trace the screen would be really nice. Or like if AI could pull and separate specific parts out from a circuit, for example one light bulb and its wiring from the entire cluster

This sounds super awesome, like TIS but with AI answers.

For me, jumping through the different FSMs without any scrolling would be really helpfull and an instant database for parts and availability with all parts diagrams and what not. The service records and intervals would be cool too, with reminders sent to you to change fluids or do certain things.

You can get a membership to TIS and check it out or if you know anyone who works at toyota/lexus service you can log in with their info. Its super helpful.

One cool thing that would be nice is like type in "transfercase rebuild" and have a parts list of every part you will possibly need for the job, then like have it return the oem part number, then the part number from a place like cruiser outfitters or valley hybrids etc for secondary options.

Lastly, interactive EWDs with colors and tracing ability so you dont have to squint and trace the screen would be really nice. Or like if AI could pull and separate specific parts out from a circuit, for example one light bulb and its wiring from the entire cluster
Thanks for the awesome feedback. Just what I was looking for. I'll check out TIS too.

Could you get AI to build a EPRT file with every part on the truck identified by PN? That might be a long shot but *everybody* would use it.

Interactive troubleshooter based on FSM might be nice to have in an app, maybe I could leave the FSM at home on a long trip.

Could you get AI to build a EPRT file with every part on the truck identified by PN? That might be a long shot but *everybody* would use it.

Interactive troubleshooter based on FSM might be nice to have in an app, maybe I could leave the FSM at home on a long trip.
I don’t know what a EPRT file is but one of my goals is to compile a complete list of parts for FJ60. This would be the basis for the price aggregator.

Thanks for your feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom