Loosing Coolant from Overflow Bottle Cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday went wheelin' for the first time in the new '97 and hit a few pot-holes hard. At camp this morning I nearly had a shock because it looked like I had lost some coolant. Luckily I soon saw that it had spilled from the top of the overflow bottle. Is this common? The cap and seal look as new. Does anyone tape this cap or make a simila mod?

Michael, does that cap actually snap in tight. if not, that could be the problem. mine snaps on very tight and has never leaked like yours. if your cap isnt staying tight i would just get a new one....i cant see them being too much from toyota...

Had exactly the same problem, went to local dealer and got a repalcement cap with all the hoses for $13.00. Problem solved.
It looks like with time and heat the cap swells and stops snapping tight when closing it causing the loss of coolant.

Buy the cap from yota, the aftermarket caps are s***e.
around $9 if memory serves.
Dave

Thanks.

Another data point: I had the same problem with some seepage from the top of the overflow container. I got a nice new cap with all the hoses mentioned above from CDAN and it solved the problem for a while. Several thousand miles later and there is some seepage starting to coming through (much less than before but still some). I'm thinking that the cap and the bottle wear at similar rates so now my next order from dan the man will include the bottle as well as the cap. HTH :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom