Loosing Coolant from Overflow Bottle Cap

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by MH_Stevens, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MH_Stevens

MH_Stevens

Yesterday went wheelin' for the first time in the new '97 and hit a few pot-holes hard. At camp this morning I nearly had a shock because it looked like I had lost some coolant. Luckily I soon saw that it had spilled from the top of the overflow bottle. Is this common? The cap and seal look as new. Does anyone tape this cap or make a simila mod?

2. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

Michael, does that cap actually snap in tight. if not, that could be the problem. mine snaps on very tight and has never leaked like yours. if your cap isnt staying tight i would just get a new one....i cant see them being too much from toyota...

3. atijerino

atijerino

Had exactly the same problem, went to local dealer and got a repalcement cap with all the hoses for $13.00. Problem solved.
    It looks like with time and heat the cap swells and stops snapping tight when closing it causing the loss of coolant.

4. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Buy the cap from yota, the aftermarket caps are s***e.
    around $9 if memory serves.
    Dave

5. MH_Stevens

MH_Stevens

Thanks.

6. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Another data point: I had the same problem with some seepage from the top of the overflow container. I got a nice new cap with all the hoses mentioned above from CDAN and it solved the problem for a while. Several thousand miles later and there is some seepage starting to coming through (much less than before but still some). I'm thinking that the cap and the bottle wear at similar rates so now my next order from dan the man will include the bottle as well as the cap. HTH :cheers:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.