Looking to buy again. Any advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I sold my '98 Limited 4Runner in 2019 when I moved to NYC from Colorado. Now that I am moving to New Hampshire in the late summer for school, I will need another SUV similar to a 4Runner/Sequoia/Land Cruise model for my dog and I.

My budget is around $8,000 - $10,000, I'll be looking to buy in May/June. While I know the third generation models like the back of my hand, I feel that the fourth generation may be an upgrade worth looking at, though I know very little about them. Aside from some national park driving, I don't expect to do much 4x4ing like in my old 4Runner. If anything, I'd be doing some car camping every now and then. However 4x4 is a must as I will be in perpetual snow/mud country from December through April.

Given the wonky used car market in the wake of COVID, I am sure it is unlikely I could find a 2003+ Land Cruiser for anything close to $10k. I feel finding a 2003+ Sequoia would be a similar challenge. So I will begin my search with 4Runners.

So my questions are: What should I be on the lookout for (red-flags, green-flags) in the 4th generation? How much wear and tear is acceptable for a 4th gen? What inherent flaws in the 4th gen should I be aware of as a future owner?

My two markets where I can look is back home in Colorado with family, or around NYC / New England

watch for rust on the frame and rust on the tailgate. i would look in colorado more so than the salty crusty ne area, unless you can get a really good deal or really lucky. not common but not unheard of is a misfire on cold start for a very short period if time and that can be indicative of a bad head gasket, usually cyl 6. front calipers like to lock up but not really a deal breaker just something to be aware of when you have to do the brakes

watch for rust on the frame and rust on the tailgate. i would look in colorado more so than the salty crusty ne area, unless you can get a really good deal or really lucky. not common but not unheard of is a misfire on cold start for a very short period if time and that can be indicative of a bad head gasket, usually cyl 6. front calipers like to lock up but not really a deal breaker just something to be aware of when you have to do the brakes
Thanks for this. Ideally I'll buy from CO, but having grown up there I know there is a much bigger 4Runner demand, thus higher prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom