Looking Really Really Hard at a Tundra...Will I Regret Swapping for my 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
Headed to the dealership tomorrow to get a feel for the Tundra again. Will be a 2016+ Limited or Platinum 4X4 Crew Max. I had a 2007 double cab that was lifted waay back in 2007. Market took a dive and had to unload it primarily due to the fact that it was not 4 wheel drive and I discovered that it was in a front end collision (they did a good patch job and I couldn't tell when I bought it used). Secondary though, I remember the mileage was pretty bad and just couldn't swing it at the time. Bought the 80 and a commuter car shortly after and have been obsessed with the 80 since. Fast forward and now I'm looking for more performance, comfort and newer safety tech (have two young kids) to get to the forest, camping/fishing, and national parks. I think I've had my fill of crawling as I don't intend to do so in a Tundra, but my 80 is very clean/low mileage and built...tough to swallow the though of letting it go. Just looking to simplify a bit and possibly unload the 80 and my Camry and step into a newer truck. Anyone out there have similar experience? Thoughts?

Headed to the dealership tomorrow to get a feel for the Tundra again. Will be a 2016+ Limited or Platinum 4X4 Crew Max. I had a 2007 double cab that was lifted waay back in 2007. Market took a dive and had to unload it primarily due to the fact that it was not 4 wheel drive and I discovered that it was in a front end collision (they did a good patch job and I couldn't tell when I bought it used). Secondary though, I remember the mileage was pretty bad and just couldn't swing it at the time. Bought the 80 and a commuter car shortly after and have been obsessed with the 80 since. Fast forward and now I'm looking for more performance, comfort and newer safety tech (have two young kids) to get to the forest, camping/fishing, and national parks. I think I've had my fill of crawling as I don't intend to do so in a Tundra, but my 80 is very clean/low mileage and built...tough to swallow the though of letting it go. Just looking to simplify a bit and possibly unload the 80 and my Camry and step into a newer truck. Anyone out there have similar experience? Thoughts?

I don't think you will be disappointed. Just like you said, the performance, usability, comfort, reliability, etc. are all going to be improvements over the 80. Your MPGs will still be bad, but compared to the 80 you'll at least have a ton of power to justify that economy. Now if your 80 is paid off and runs well, then taking on a payment would be my only concern. I have never had a car payment in my life and don't plan to ever do so. I'd buy something a couple years old that has been pampered.

I have all these unique cars, but once I picked up my Tundra I regretted not making the move sooner. It's super nice to have a dead reliable, turn key car every day. Plus, I can tow anything I want.

Again, my only concern would be taking on a payment. Why don't you price the 80 where you not losing a ton of money and get a decent price. If it sells get the Tundra, if it doesn't keep the 80 for now.

I don't regret it! Got rid of my 80 and got a first gen Tundra. Love the truck alot more. A lift,tires and wheels and it goes all the places too. Just traded the wife's 2011 4runner TRD for a 2018 Sequoia because of the experience with my Tundra. You will love it!!

i kept my 80 and still daily drive it just because the tundra is sooo freaking big and we have a small car parking lot, also, i wanted to keep the miles down (that didn't do any good...i put 20k on it in the first year). that said, if i had to choose, i'd keep the tundra. mileage is better, power is way better, comfort is better, reliability is better, versatiliity is better...should i keep going?

Thanks for the insight to all. I can't bring myself to do it. The 80 will stay. I need power from my daily driver as the 80 just goes off road and camping type excursions. Was thinking I could simplify with one vehicle, but the Tundra is just too big. Looking to replace my daily driver with something with decent power.

Last edited:
I’d be hard pressed to decide either the 80or the Tundra.

Like you, I’m not as much a trails & getting out in the boonies as much as I am about towing the boat.

That said - house on fire, I save the 80. Tundras are easily replaced, but a solid 80 any of us are upside-down in $$-wise & we each have ours set up just how we like them —- that’s alot harder to replace.

I’d save the 80, let ins comp out the Tundra & go find another one from the rows of Tundras on CL or any dealership lot (if you’re a CPO-type buyer).

I can go back to being a slug on the highway with my boat behind the 80 if I had to.

I daily drive my Tundra near and in D.C. I park in underground and multi-level parking lots, parallel park on streets, etc. It's not bad. I agree it can be a pain in the @ss though.

Enjoy the 80 for as long as you can....they are getting old....stuff starts to not work that becomes annoying.....at some point it becomes a "restoration" and not a DD type reliable vehicle with all of the amenities for reasonable cost. My 1995 80 w 250K miles recently bit the dust.....blown head gasket + other stuff......facing a 6K+ set of repairs and maintenance to get it back to reliable condition...I relented and sold it. I loved my 80 and did some serious overlanding and offroading with it to Colorado and Moab.....so very emotional to "let it go". Family needed a replacement for a dying Suburban and dead 80.....so bought an 04 G1 Sequoia for the same price of repairing the 80....basically a Tundra with and "SUV enclosed bed"......except the Sequoia is 9 years younger and all of the amenities work perfectly. Bigger, selectable 2/4 wheel drive (better gas mileage) and very powerful. I really love it....but miss my awesome looking and rugged model 80. It all comes down to your priorities and your thoughts on return on investment. You have already invested in your 80 and it runs great.....run it to the end and enjoy it.....but when ready, do not hesitate to go with a Tundra or a Sequoia if you are going for reliable DD + some adventuring.....they are awesome. I have taken the Sequoia (bone stock) offroad on "blue" and "green" trails and have been amazed it its performance. Bone stock it has great clearance and reasonable approach and departure angles. Considering doing all of the offroad mods (front bumper, winch, lift, lockers, tires....) but I think I will likely "fully amortize" the Sequoia the way it is and start another offroad/overlanding build on the 04 or newer 100 series.

Well...search over. Looked at tacos, tundras, 100s, and 200s as well as chargers challengers and mustang's. Looked at ls460s and gs350s. Looked at many things. I wanted to keep the 80 so I decided I didn't really want to incur a 30K car payment and keep the 80...seemed a bit excessive. Feel really good about the choice for my DD and family hauler and still have no car payment...
20180616_071215.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom