Looking for "Wimpified" Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the ARBs are 81# per side, essentially same weight as the BB or Slee units, I don't see the advantage. BB, Slee, Dissent (maybe their Al units are even lighter), all make good steps, and provide PROPER protection, for the same or similar weight and cost.
I probably agree, generally speaking, but more-so playing devil’s advocate: Bud Built and Slee are steel too and don’t offer aluminum offerings to my knowledge. Buds are almost certainly heavier than Slee since they are thicker steel. Slee’s are out because of frame holes. Bud’s you probably have to wait a few months or so, that may come into the equation too. Dissent’s could fit the built perfectly (as they are aluminum) but I don’t think they’re ready for order yet (could be wrong), again, lead time could come into play. I still feel, based on my limited knowledge, the ARBs fit the best answer to the gentleman’s question the best based on his well thought out bullet points listed.

That's a great balanced assessment, given the original poster's request!

It's actually a super interesting question to me, since I don't rock crawl, and probably don't remotely need armor. I suspect that there are a lot of cruiser owners who don't. For the little bit of time I spend off road, the factory setup is great. I've never wished for more. That being said, the underbody protection and stock sliders take a beating, and they'd be the first to go, if I upgrade. The Budbuilt stuff looks like a great setup for my use.

One comment, and I'm not sure it matters when only adding 170 lbs, but on my last built rig, I found it a bit of a slippery slope once I started adding weight. For me it was a heavy bumper that started the whole thing. The rake was off, and it handled differently. It started weighing more, so the next logical step was to upgrade the suspension. Since I was spending a fair amount to do that, I figured I may as well only do it once, so I lifted it. Once I lifted it, then bigger tires were called for. I figured, while I'm in there, how about some new rims. I wanted some underbody protection to go with that. Wow, it was getting heavy, how about a supercharger. Better brakes. Compressor. Drawers. Second battery. Extra lights. Rack. Etc Etc. Next thing I knew I had a cool looking, but ridiculously over the top vehicle for the daily commute. Just a cautionary tale, in case the stock stuff is good enough...

It's actually a super interesting question to me, since I don't rock crawl, and probably don't remotely need armor. I suspect that there are a lot of cruiser owners who don't. For the little bit of time I spend off road, the factory setup is great. I've never wished for more. That being said, the underbody protection and stock sliders take a beating, and they'd be the first to go, if I upgrade. The Budbuilt stuff looks like a great setup for my use.

In my younger years, i would off-road just for the sake of off-reading...went to off-roading park and just literally bang around for the whole day. Big tires, armor, etc.. Great times. But now that i am older and with family, the most off-reading i do is sight seeing as a family event. For example, i have an upcoming Big Bend National Park trip. We love Colorado (Denver Broncos fan)...and we do go up into the mountains and do a few mild passes as a way to get to a location, not just to off-road. And these things/events are why i have a Land Cruiser........luxurious & comfortable enough for long trips and very capable.....and of course ultra reliable. LC is probably more capable than what i need....but you know the saying....better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :)

I don’t plan on doing any mod that is outrageous to my needs. This car is also a car that i take to work half the time.......and that is 50 miles each way.....highway comfort is very important. As noted, it is a car that i take the whole family on long vacation trips. RELIABILITY and DURABILITY remain my #1 and #2 (and #3, #4, #5) reasons for owning a LC. None of my (future) mods should interfere with those two reasons. Thus, i am researching the dickens out of things before jumping. (I made a few rash decisions in my younger years that i regret to my vehicles...so lessons learned.)

I only plan on doing two things to my LC. Better tires...but probably stick to stock size to avoid messing around with gearing (such as inconsistent shifting in mountain passes while cruising with bigger tires) and observed power loss thru throttle. So, probably BFG KO2 in stock size in near future. My 2nd mod will be sliders for reasons noted on original post. That will be it. I will be a happy camper. Sure, it may look boring compared to some beautiful rigs i see on this forum, but it will serve my (and family) needs perfectly.

BTW, i do appreciate all the responses in this thread! Thank you.

One comment, and I'm not sure it matters when only adding 170 lbs, but on my last built rig, I found it a bit of a slippery slope once I started adding weight. For me it was a heavy bumper that started the whole thing. The rake was off, and it handled differently. It started weighing more, so the next logical step was to upgrade the suspension. Since I was spending a fair amount to do that, I figured I may as well only do it once, so I lifted it. Once I lifted it, then bigger tires were called for. I figured, while I'm in there, how about some new rims. I wanted some underbody protection to go with that. Wow, it was getting heavy, how about a supercharger. Better brakes. Compressor. Drawers. Second battery. Extra lights. Rack. Etc Etc. Next thing I knew I had a cool looking, but ridiculously over the top vehicle for the daily commute. Just a cautionary tale, in case the stock stuff is good enough...

When I attended the 2018 LCDC, one day I was airing up just outside of Ouray. A couple guys on KTM offroad bikes stopped and one of them walked over to me. He asked me whether my tires were 285/65/18s, which was not what I was expecting. He said that he used to have a 200 and built it up. He added bumpers, lift, 35" tires, winch, etc. And that by the time he was done, he found he didn't like driving it anymore, and that he wished he just stayed with what I had -- 33" tires and a sliders.

As much as I would like to add bumpers, lift, drawers, lockers, etc., the reality is that my offroading is 1) two weeks on the beach (which I can do with a stock rig) and 2) maybe 5 days in an LCDC if I'm lucky. My 200 is my daily driver and I already get horrifically bad fuel economy. If I had more time to go off-roading and I had room for a commuter car, then it might be worthwhile for me to build my 200.

When I attended the 2018 LCDC, one day I was airing up just outside of Ouray. A couple guys on KTM offroad bikes stopped and one of them walked over to me. He asked me whether my tires were 285/65/18s, which was not what I was expecting. He said that he used to have a 200 and built it up. He added bumpers, lift, 35" tires, winch, etc. And that by the time he was done, he found he didn't like driving it anymore, and that he wished he just stayed with what I had -- 33" tires and a sliders.

As much as I would like to add bumpers, lift, drawers, lockers, etc., the reality is that my offroading is 1) two weeks on the beach (which I can do with a stock rig) and 2) maybe 5 days in an LCDC if I'm lucky. My 200 is my daily driver and I already get horrifically bad fuel economy. If I had more time to go off-roading and I had room for a commuter car, then it might be worthwhile for me to build my 200.

I would echo just one aspect of the KTM guys thought...BUT ...!!

Its too bad he gave up...because what he could have done (and what I did) is just dump his 35’s.
It was a MASSIVE improvement in regaining handling both on and off road, and the truck is way more fun to drive again!

35’s look awesome, but tall and wide really isn’t ideal on these trucks. You can wheel hard still...but man I am so much happier on narrower 34’s when behind the wheel.

Speaking of KTM guys...
Here is a photo of the INJURED motorcyclist stranger I drove down the mountain to Telluride after he crashed at low-speed crash on his KTM (or BMW...can’t remember which bike was his). He destroyed his knee...surgery later.

Accident happened the day before LCDC kick-off this July...

1571172030319.jpeg

Land Cruisers have their place...

Last edited:
What size tires are you running now?

What size tires are you running now?

285/75/17 Rodge Grapplers.
A bit under 34”...

Basically an inch shorter and an inch narrower than my RidgeGs in 35x12.5x17.

PS... It also helps arriving at the right coil springs, and front coilover pre-load. I am SUPER heavy...but I challenge you to keep up with me on desert runs in another 200. :hillbilly:
NOT BRAGGING ABOUT SKILLS. Just saying that it feels way more controlled now.

I still have my 5, nearly-new 35’s... Need to put them up for sale.

Last edited:
ARB Summit fits every bullet point you described perfectly. You don’t need to buy the prices that connects to the bumper(s)

Eric, do you have more pictures of the ARB slider? How does it look underneath? How many legs does it have? Is there a large gap between the rocker panel and the slider?

Thanks in advance.

The BB's are heavy duty and purely bolt on, but heavy duty isn't necessarily a bad thing. The price for any of these sliders are in the $1,100+/- range. The "light duty" side step aren't much of a $$$ savings and when it comes down to it not much of a weight savings either.

I have the BB heavy duty (Thick Steel, I can't remember the proper name.) with the kick outs, diamond plate, 40% gloss black powder coated. If you have kids these are great, it's like a "mini patio" to stand on with the rear doors open. They are awesome for saving your back trying to load little ones into car seats. The kick out plate is tilted (20 degrees or so?) toward the car pushing you in for better leverage for negotiating with the little darlings. Instead of reaching up 3.5+ feet and over a foot your right on top the kiddy seat like your looking into a low slung sedan. The kids love climbing up it too, once they are self propelled grabbing the handles jungle gym style, thus installing themselves in to their respective seats, worth every penny.

BB are heavy and require some work to install. Someone on this site suggested buying slightly longer bolts than BB provides (Thank you!!!). I did buy stainless steel bolts slightly longer and it helped out immensely. Luckily they only have to be installed once.

I think when it comes to a 5800# - 6000# vehicle heavy duty is the only way to go (your already there). Also I can't imagine them not being a help in a side impact collision, a big plus for safety of your precious cargo inside.

There are a lot of good choices out there and after a lot of debating myself I ended up with BB, but I'm sure which ever brand you end up getting you'll be happy with it...

I'm just happy, we as 200 owner's have so many great choices.

Anyone know wherether either the ARB or Dissent aluminium option will fit an LX? I have the same need as the OP.

@benc Can certainly chime in. My understanding, for my 2018 Lx, it would need to be fabricated at the shop. The reason is properly navigating the AHC lines and accumulators.

This is hilarious. The modifications are spiraling out of control. Been there before, it starts getting too easy to hit the order button.

On a serious note, following your decision here.

Ok,ok I should have checked the link before I said anything. What are your thoughts on those Madtiger? Elbow nudge elbow nudge

Ok,ok I should have checked the link before I said anything. What are your thoughts on those Madtiger? Elbow nudge elbow nudge

i just e-mailed bullbuilt to ask more questions. Will post answers once I get them.

i just e-mailed bullbuilt to ask more questions. Will post answers once I get them.

from Budbuilt:

“This is for bottom out protection, but lacks anything that sticks out further than the lower door seam.

They weight a total of 55 pounds per side (or about 45 pounds less overall than the traditional rock sliders). The furthest tube is placed to not catch your foot on it at all, so the provide zero step for kids and count not accept a fill plate as it’s a completely different design. The mounting design is the same are all our sliders, the KDSS lines need to be unbolted from the frame, our slider “slides” between the KDSS and frame rail, then the KDSS lines are bolted back on.

For the rock rail, think Jeep Wranglers that have that steel tube under the door seam, but they don’t stick out at all. This is what that more closely replicates.”

Dang, although I’m not going to rule them out yet. If I can get a toe on them that’s enough for my purposes, but for the rugrats climbing in and out may not be good enough. Between price point and ease of install they worth noting. And they would look real slick finished in black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom