Looking for "Wimpified" Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Madtiger

Mini-Doug
Threads
Hey all,

My rock crawling days are over. Family. Kids. The off-roading that i plan to do is just for sight seeing. I just want something a little tougher than stock running boards BUT retains the functionality of such...kids and wife need step to use.

Requirements:

1. NO DRILLING into frame. NO WELDING. Again, no drilling of any kind. Only use existing holes in frame.

2. Strong enough to slide over an obstacle...like when just breaching the breakover angle of LC. I don't plan on off-roading where there is a risk of slamming the side of LC against rock...where the slider supports the weight of LC. I will just turn around if that is a risk. :D

3. MUST have a step-like function...whether that be a diamond plate over slider or integrated step. Whether it be angled 20 degrees or flat is not a big deal but it must be wide enough for step (front and rear doors).

4. Kickout at the back of slider NOT important.

5. Weight is somewhat important...less the better. I do want "some" strength where the slider does not get dented easily.

6. I do prefer a slider where there is a plate under the frame as part of the support.

So, with all the requirements above, is there such a slider in question that i can buy? More step, less rock stoutness basically.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
BudBuilt step sliders are awesome. I've had mine for a couple years now. Flat, i did diamond plate top (but they have options), no kickout. To me they have a super beefy but still factory type look. I'd say the only thing is they are quite heavy, but more than worth the trade in strength. 100% bolt on, no drilling

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_0922.PNG

ARB's for a lighter duty step?

The only problem (i think) is that it is integrated with the front bumper or something via tubes. Does it sell just a light step without the tubing that connects the front bumper??

Pretty sure you can get just the steps...ask for "Protection Steps"

BudBuilt step sliders are awesome. I've had mine for a couple years now. Flat, i did diamond plate top (but they have options), no kickout. To me they have a super beefy but still factory type look. I'd say the only thing is they are quite heavy, but more than worth the trade in strength. 100% bolt on, no drilling

Yeah, i looked at them.......probably more meaty than what i need. Beautiful sliders though.

Pretty sure you can get just the steps...ask for "Protection Steps"

Where do the steps connect to??? The frame or the body (where the running boards attach)?

I'm in the same boat. I got the Arb's they are exactly what you are looking for. You can get them without the fender rub bar that attaches to the bumper. There is a finishing piece that bolts on the front inplace of the fender bar. Problem is most everyone at ARB NA is not familiar with them and It's not a stocked part. They will till you it doesn't exist or is not available.

My local ARB dealer used to have a shop in OZ so he called ARB in Seattle and told them they didn't know what the hell they were talking about so they eventually came up with the part number and got it shipped from OZ.

It is perfect for your needs. Just don't take no for an answer.

LOL. looks like Eric knows what he's talking about. Must have posted that while I was typing..

ARB Summit fits every bullet point you described perfectly. You don’t need to buy the prices that connects to the bumper(s)

Eric...so, they attach to the frame? Aluminum or steel?

I'm in the same boat. I got the Arb's they are exactly what you are looking for. You can get them without the fender rub bar that attaches to the bumper. There is a finishing piece that bolts on the front inplace of the fender bar. Problem is most everyone at ARB NA is not familiar with them and It's not a stocked part. They will till you it doesn't exist or is not available.

My local ARB dealer used to have a shop in OZ so he called ARB in Seattle and told them they didn't know what the hell they were talking about so they eventually came up with the part number and got it shipped from OZ.

Do you have the part number by any chance?

I found this: https://arbusa.com/toyota-land-crui...ection-equipment/side-rails-protection-steps/

I had no issues getting the return (that's what that piece is called) when I ordered the Side Steps for my Tacoma.

I can get you the part numbers later. I know there are two part numbers and they were kind on expensive. I want to say $1000-$1100 ish. I always go with Slee because they’re similar price and far more beefier. But Slee’s bolt in like 12 spots per side. I believe they are steel with the aluminum plate, yes. I’ve only used them once. They are good looking IMO

Did anyone check out Dissent Offroad's Aluminum step sliders? Sounds like they meet the OP's need.

@benc, care to chime in?

I can get you the part numbers later. I know there are two part numbers and they were kind on expensive. I want to say $1000-$1100 ish. I always go with Slee because they’re similar price and far more beefier. But Slee’s bolt in like 12 spots per side. I believe they are steel with the aluminum plate, yes. I’ve only used them once. They are good looking IMO

Thank you for looking up the parts number(s)...much appreciated. Cost is not an issue (within reason of course)...as long as quality is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom