Looking for some opinions regarding rust treatment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got some small spots coming through around the edges of my fenders (the parts that would normally be covered by flares) and on a sill. Have sanded the spots and applied rust converter and paint but a month later and they're back. I don't have the tools or skills to weld, so how should I deal with these spots before they get bigger?
IMG_20200909_111348_4.jpg

Also have a lot of rust on my rear diff, some chassis surface rust, brake line corrosion etc. Do these pictures look bad? I'm hoping to keep the car for a while and want to slow down the rust as much as I can. Don't wanna cover up with paint. Think a wire wheel, some lanolin and Penetrol will be good enough to slow down the rust without covering it up? Or should I paint the undercarriage? Never had a car this old before
IMG_20200909_111249_7.jpg

IMG_20200909_111314_5.jpg

IMG_20200909_111432_7.jpg

IMG_20200909_111446_6.jpg

For the paint, sand down to remove all rust then prime and paint. (you really need to remove all of the rust or it will come back like you see. Take your time and clean thoroughly between each step.

The rust is not great but not salt roads bad. It can be fixed and if you do it now, you will prevent it from getting worse.

Wire brush/wheel (this part is key) Rust flakes will trap moisture. Then use a rust converter. Finally either paint or spray with woolwax or fluid film. For the future, paint can look like your hiding the issue. Also if you did not prepare it well enough, the paint can trap moisture(like you have experienced). On the flip side, you have to apply fluid film or wool wax every 6months to a year.

The spots on the fender look like they didn’t get covered with enough paint. Moisture was able to penetrate that thin barrier from the previous attempt and get the steel oxidizing again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom