Looking for roof rack advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So before I get flamed, I did try searching and didn’t come up with much info. Sorry if it’s out there and I just couldn’t find it.

But i am in the market for a roof rack and looking for some suggestions.

Main requirements are the following:
1.quiet ( of course this is relative but I dont want to add a sail on the roof as it is still a daily driver)
2. Maintain use of the sunroof
3. Bolt on(maybe they all are now?)
4. Future use of a ladder on the rear.

Not going to do a RTT or anything, mostly bikes, kayaks, and camping gear.

Thanks guys!!

Gamaviti racks have an option for a sunroof cutout. There may be enough clearance for a ladder and they’re relatively quiet with the fairing.

Is there requirement in particular that leads you to believe you need an entire rack? Reason I ask, I was contemplating a full rack, but @tbisaacs dropped this solution on the table, and saved me a ton of money. The most I will carry is two kayaks on the roof. We are not doing an RTT, and occasionally throwing a couple support boxes up there for the weekend camps. It's worth considering.

It might be worth to consider potential mpg efficiency losses with some racks.

If just looking to haul bikes and some gear, consider the Kuat Vagabond X. It will accommodate up to two bikes and gear in the basket. Just a suggestion. I'm leaning towards this setup on my 200.

Vagabond-X-with-gear_grande.jpg

If just looking to haul bikes and some gear, consider the Kuat Vagabond X. It will accommodate up to two bikes and gear in the basket. Just a suggestion. I'm leaning towards this setup on my 200.

View attachment 1956980
I had this same Kuat on my Volvo wagon. It was a great basket for that size and height car. I think it will look too small on the top of a 200 and will be waaayy too tall to easily lift a bike up and down and mount.

For sure. All our vehicles are racked, including my truck which has a mild lift and 33's. We are a family of 6. I have the Kuat NV carrying 4 bikes off my receiver with 2 trays on the roof so I can carry 6 bikes. As a result...I carry a step stool so I can get to the bikes on the roof. Will have to do the same when I rack the Land Cruiser...b/c I'm short. Cheers.

I had this same Kuat on my Volvo wagon. It was a great basket for that size and height car. I think it will look too small on the top of a 200 and will be waaayy too tall to easily lift a bike up and down and mount.

I had the Prinsu rack on my last 200. I was actually the prototyping vehicle and loved it because I still had full access to my sunroof but could easily add additional bars if I needed to (once a year to Baja). This was before CBI purchased them so I can't personally attest to the current build/powder coat quality/availability but they have a great reputation. I lived for years in my 80 with no sunroof and because of that ran a 3/4 rack on my 100 and plan to do a Prinsu again on my current 200.

Last edited:
We (dissent offroad) will hopefully have ours available in the next couple months.
Strong, light weight, low profile (same height as factory rack) and extremely quiet!
While it does maintain full use of the sun roof there is one load bar over it.
99DC5B8A-1C4E-4CFA-80B9-21D8EB555EF9.jpeg
46DA9D27-A92B-4615-B760-77BBA131C053.jpeg
C92F1FA8-B009-44E3-82A3-FFC4D1492C82.jpeg
D6468189-D596-4799-BFA4-AFC391C85E5F.jpeg

Yakima rail grab or rhino rack vortex bars, or nothing.

Roof racks suck mpg like none other and make noise
Yep I fully agree, it pretty impossible to get a quiet roof rack. I use a Yakama rail grab with wide bars (66”). Carry a 17’ canoe, dip nets, duel rocket boxes, skis, and bikes only when we are taking more than 4. I leave it on all winter but the best part is it goes on and off in ~5-10min. The only thing I couldn’t use is an RTT. I’m in Alaska and haul gear all the time. I’ll also add putting more than 2 bikes on and off the roof of the LC sucks. When I do 2 extra I put my trays outside the towers. As for hauling bikes if mountain only get a north shore. By far the best bike rack I’ve ever used. I went from a kuat 4 bike to a 1up 4 bike to the north shore. I have many buddy’s that have switched from kuat, Thule, Yakama, 1up, ... hitch racks to north shore.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I went with the Yakima timber Line and Jetstream rack system. The cross bars are XL so they are about the same width of the LC . The only issue I have is wind noise because of the 40 inch light bar. I’m going to try the Yakima Wind Shield Faring.
The Yakima system is a solid product. Easy to put on and take off. Check them out. Many options.

Thanks so much for all of the info guys, exactly what i needed!! I love that Dissent rack but I think common sense will prevail and something like the vagabond XL or just a yakima set up will be a much better set up for what I will need it for. Thanks again guys!

Front Runner rack on my 200 coming up on 1 year and already has some corrosion and paint peeling around joints. A Goby on my Rubicon for almost 5 years and not a sign of corrosion or paint damage. Front Runner accessories are a bit flimsy and not that well thought out IMO.

Thanks so much for all of the info guys, exactly what i needed!! I love that Dissent rack but I think common sense will prevail and something like the vagabond XL or just a yakima set up will be a much better set up for what I will need it for. Thanks again guys!
The Yakima type solution can be removed with ease .

Yep I fully agree, it pretty impossible to get a quiet roof rack. I use a Yakama rail grab with wide bars (66”). Carry a 17’ canoe, dip nets, duel rocket boxes, skis, and bikes only when we are taking more than 4. I leave it on all winter but the best part is it goes on and off in ~5-10min. The only thing I couldn’t use is an RTT. I’m in Alaska and haul gear all the time. I’ll also add putting more than 2 bikes on and off the roof of the LC sucks. When I do 2 extra I put my trays outside the towers. As for hauling bikes if mountain only get a north shore. By far the best bike rack I’ve ever used. I went from a kuat 4 bike to a 1up 4 bike to the north shore. I have many buddy’s that have switched from kuat, Thule, Yakama, 1up, ... hitch racks to north shore.

View attachment 1957562

View attachment 1957563

Great info! I'm working on trying to figure out how to get 4 bikes with me and an airstream in tow. You are saying that with the wide 66" bars, I can put 4 bikes across the roof? Can I use the trays that hold the entire bike upright? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom