Looking for recommendations for a pre-purchase inspection in Knoxville TN. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

solomrus

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings everyone.

I've been talking with @blemarr about the bj73 he has in the classifieds section:

I'd like to get a PPI done before making up my mind on this truck, so the question is, who could i have him take it to for a comprehensive write up on this machine?

Thanks for looking everyone. Any help is appreciated.

--r

Greetings everyone.

I've been talking with @blemarr about the bj73 he has in the classifieds section:

I'd like to get a PPI done before making up my mind on this truck, so the question is, who could i have him take it to for a comprehensive write up on this machine?

Thanks for looking everyone. Any help is appreciated.

--r

You are going to have to fly someone in.

It's my understanding that there is a decent concentration of Land Cruiser owners in the Knoxville area including those that own 70 Series. While they may not be recognized as "experts" in the eyes of some, they may be able to assist in this endeavor. If not then nothing is lost and the original poster can seek other avenues.

i have a feeler out. thanks for the input guys.

--r

The expensive bits are the engine and transmission. If you can see a cold start, and by cold I mean one that hasnt been started for at least 12 hours or more, it will give you a fairly accurate idea of the engine's compression. A good diesel will start quickly and run smoothly almost instantly. A bad engine will puff grey smoke and run rough until it warms up.

The H55F is clunky when cold and takes 5-10 mins to smooth out. They dont like fast shifting from 1st to 2nd at any time but will change in all other gears fairly smoothly once warm. Reverse can be a little tricky, sometimes you have to let the clutch out a little then shift into reverse.
If 4wd is not engaged regularly, the linkages can seize up. Its not a problem , normally a good soaking in CRC will fix it.

Rust is just like any vehicle, but around the windscreen, behind the wheel arches doors and sills are the most common places.

Owner electrical modifications are often a source of problems.

Clunks in the suspension can often mean it needs new bushes. But look for flattened out suspension leaves and ones that do not have a smooth arc

Steering noises are usually tie rod ends

Check for grease and oil leaking out behind the front wheels, its a big dirty job but not a deal breaker. But I would want to pay less.

Oil leaks from the rear of the t/case should be noted.

Take some pics of anything you dont understand and post them here

Looking at the pics, I think rust will be the main issue.

@roscoFJ73 these are all of the things that i can't look at in the pics, but would scope out in person.

my toyota diesel experience is nil, just what i can glean from reading, so this is great advice. i figure that by getting started with a more basic engine and building some experience with it i'll know what is like to see in the next truck down the line.

it's a big dumb truck. like my 40, and like my 80. the mechanicals don't worry me, that's what i do for a day job. i don't want to resurrect a bent, broken or or rusty body. i have a 40 series for that work. i'm looking for a solid truck that i can daily until they put salt down and the snow flies.

i need someone to look it over because i can't. i need that person to be picky so that i can see thru my rose colored glasses and be realistic about the purchase.

your advice here is perfect, just the sort of truth i want to see.

The way I look at buying a Landcruiser, is to look for a good body. Im never too worried about the mechanicals as they can be fixed to a high standard. Of course the price needs to be right.
Rusty bodies are difficult to get right unless you can use bolt on parts like windscreen frames , doors and fenders.
These are coming into the US in increasing numbers so I wouldnt be thinking your will never get another chance. Good things come to those that wait.
Good luck with it.

i need someone to look it over because i can't. i need that person to be picky so that i can see thru my rose colored glasses and be realistic about the purchase.

I could fly out tonight if needed:smokin:

When I listed my FJ73 for sale, what most people were concerned about was rust. I encouraged each person that was interested to come out and look it over because that is the best way you are going to feel confident about your purchase and any repairs needed are within your comfort zone. You and a buddy who knows cruisers should make the time to come see the cruiser if you are that serious about it.

The first guy that was willing to come out and look at the FJ73 got himself an awesome LHD 73 MWB, factory A/C, cruiser with OEM soft top set up and has done a lot more work on it since I owned it such as ripping out that 3F engine and adding a heater and way too much else to list. I miss driving it in the summer quite a bit.

y'all are a batch of ruthless enablers. 😘

if the truck were 4 hours away, i'd have been to see it. a 13 hour drive isn't practical when you run a business and are booked out 3+ weeks in advance. that's about the only draw back to owning a business, your life isn't all your own.

i'm absolutely willing to go look at it. it checks off all the boxes for what i want. my reality won't let that happen for a few weeks.

i wouldn't ask him to hold it for me if i weren't willing to plunk down some money. im not willing to do that yet.

--r

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom