Looking For: Heated Sleeping Pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I am on the search for heated sleeping pads to keep my wife and kiddo's warm at night in the roof top tent and sleeping platform in my 100 series. I have a dual battery system with RedARC manager, plan to use a battery bank for each pad that is hooked into a usb receptacle that is powered by my auxiliary battery.

I can use a 15v adapter (for traditional car provided power) or a USB receptacle (5V)

This looks like the perfect product, however I don't think it is available any longer: Ignik Heating Pad

I would look at better insulated pads and possibly better bags. I can say enough good things about the exped megamat, I’ve even slept on them at -30F and couldn’t feel cold creep. I use them all the time in our ground tents and camper and the few times a year we use our RTT (iKamper mini).

I have a lot of experience with cold camping (in Alaska) and off grid power/solar. For a heating pad they draw a ton of power, with 2 of these you will draw ~0.48 kw per hour, so would need a 4-5 kwh battery to run all night.

Last edited:
I would look at better insulated pads and possibly better bags. I can say enough good things about the exped megamat, I’ve even slept on them at -30F and couldn’t feel cold creep. I use them all the time in our ground tents and camper and the few times a year we use our RTT (iKamper mini).

I have a lot of experience with cold camping (in Alaska) and off grid power/solar. For a heating pad they draw a ton of power, with 2 of these you will draw ~0.48 kw per hour, so would need a 4-5 kwh battery to run all night.

You are one of many people to tell me to check out the exped megamat. I need to, thanks.

I've used one of these a few times. It runs for about 30-40 minutes and then automatically shuts off so it doesn't drain your battery all night. When paired with a good sleeping bag and pad it takes off the edge, especially when you first get in. Plus it's cheap (or at least it was when I bought mine)! I run it off of my Goal Zero Yeti 400 battery.

Amazon product ASIN B000V8QVX6

Last edited:
Another thing to add. With the right pad and bag staying warm sleeping isn’t an issue. When it is really cold I find the “worst” part is getting out of the bag in the morning. We use a Mr heater in the tent, used it more often when my kids were younger. Kick it on for ~10min before the kids (and wife) get up makes a big difference

Limited-time deal: Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor Safe Propane Heater, Medium , Black/Red https://a.co/d/eSZkbx0

Looks like good combo's right there. Another Exped fan, and I use a 12v blanket if it's really cold. I have a down queen-sized quilt I'll use over me below 20.

Another thing to add. With the right pad and bag staying warm sleeping isn’t an issue. When it is really cold I find the “worst” part is getting out of the bag in the morning. We use a Mr heater in the tent, used it more often when my kids were younger. Kick it on for ~10min before the kids (and wife) get up makes a big difference

Limited-time deal: Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor Safe Propane Heater, Medium , Black/Red https://a.co/d/eSZkbx0

Exactly. Get the heater next to your bed. Wake up and flip it on for 10 minutes than get up and get dressed.

I could never camp in below freezing weather in the back of a vehicle or roof top tent. I need the space to run a heater and the ability to stand up and get dressed in a warmed up tent lol.

Nothing worse than trying to get dressed without being able to stand up in below freezing temps.

I’m another Exped user.

I also would advise against relaying on a powered system to keep warm. If something fails you’re cold. If it draws too much power you’re stranded. Warmer sleeping bag. We also keep a down comforter in the RTT. That over the bag/s and I’ve never been cold. I can also regulate temps easier with my wife when she is cold and I’m hot.

have an older version of this. Camp Robber Down Blanket | Big Agnes - https://www.bigagnes.com/collections/quilts-comforters-liners/products/camp-robber-down-blanket

Last edited:
I travel a lot of times with below freezing temps at night with my 60. Slept in RTT and now
in the back on a cot. EXPED is truly top of the list for staying warm, never cold from below.
My concession to cold entries is my bags have flannel lining. Not fleece, and certainly not
nylon. Always carry extra liner bag or down duvet

I actually just picked up my new cold weather sleeping bag today. A Western Mountaineering Sequoia Gore Infinium. My current bag an old Moonstone Libery Ridge Gore Dryloft has served me well for 29 years. But I’m 50lbs heavier now than I was when I bought it. New bag is a semi rectangular bag verse mummy. My 13yr old son gets the old bag.

What’s the point? A quality bag might seem like a big investment but with proper care is actually a great value. That Moonstone that was nearly $600 in 1993 cost me $20 per year.

90245496-BC49-4C49-AC73-083F7E50DF5E.jpeg

I actually just picked up my new cold weather sleeping bag today. A Western Mountaineering Sequoia Gore Infinium. My current bag an old Moonstone Libery Ridge Gore Dryloft has served me well for 29 years. But I’m 50lbs heavier now than I was when I bought it. New bag is a semi rectangular bag verse mummy. My 13yr old son gets the old bag.

What’s the point? A quality bag might seem like a big investment but with proper care is actually a great value. That Moonstone that was nearly $600 in 1993 cost me $20 per year.

View attachment 3133069
Good point. My coldest weather bag is a Northface -40F (back when they were made in USA) I’ve had since 1994. I’m pretty sure I paid at least $600 for it but had it for going on 30 years.

A quality bag might seem like a big investment but with proper care is actually a great value. That Moonstone that was nearly $600 in 1993 cost me $20 per year.
Not to mention a quality sleeping bag can easily save a life in the right conditions.

I won't go into the back country in Utah from October- June without a nice sleeping bag.

View attachment 3133069
Western Mountaineering for the win! I was going to suggest an electric blanket with a Jackery but when you figure in that expense a quality bag becomes a no brainer👍

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

WM makes very good bags. So does Feathered Friends, over in Seattle, and Enlightened Equipment is also a good company; their Accomplice quilt is a secret weapon for couples that like to cuddle, and they'll make you a custom one if you need specialty sizing/fill.

Exped makes a nice pad, although I prefer the Xtherm from Therm-a-Rest. The latter, coupled with an FF Ibex and a down later (pants, belay jacket) will easily keep me a little too warm at -20°...and I'm a pansy that sleeps cold.

I don't do heaters in enclosed spaces; likewise, I don't like using power to make heat unless I have to...but that's because I'm extremely lazy. I mean, I generate a lot of warmth on my own, so I just trap it; that's the least effort and complexity for the most warmth, and it's a pretty flexible system.

A couple of thoughts:

WM makes very good bags. So does Feathered Friends, over in Seattle, and Enlightened Equipment is also a good company; their Accomplice quilt is a secret weapon for couples that like to cuddle, and they'll make you a custom one if you need specialty sizing/fill.

Exped makes a nice pad, although I prefer the Xtherm from Therm-a-Rest. The latter, coupled with an FF Ibex and a down later (pants, belay jacket) will easily keep me a little too warm at -20°...and I'm a pansy that sleeps cold.

I don't do heaters in enclosed spaces; likewise, I don't like using power to make heat unless I have to...but that's because I'm extremely lazy. I mean, I generate a lot of warmth on my own, so I just trap it; that's the least effort and complexity for the most warmth, and it's a pretty flexible system.

Love the look of the EE Accomplice. I love this forum, thank you for the recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom