Looking for a RJ11 coupler that's waterproof and and not the usual plastic crap! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I see tons of RJ45 waterproof couplers but don't see one for a RJ11. I need one for my HAM radio mic extension. No, I don't want to cut each end of the two RJ11 wires and connect them using silicone filled push in connectors! I need to be able to detach the mic cable from the extension cable. I suppose I could plug a RJ11 into a RJ45 socket and as long as the socket is straight through, shouldn't that work? IF that's the case, I should be able to use a standard RJ45 waterproof coupler.

Thanks.

Last edited:
RJ45 and RJ11 are cross compatible and will mate securely. Plugged two conductor phone lines into the 8 pin connector all the time when I did that sort of thing. Use the center two pins straight through, that's what I use on the Yaesu in the 200 for the microphone.

RJ45 and RJ11 are cross compatible and will mate securely. Plugged two conductor phone lines into the 8 pin connector all the time when I did that sort of thing. Use the center two pins straight through, that's what I use on the Yaesu in the 200 for the microphone.

Just making sure I understood you, simply plug in the two RJ11s into a RJ45 coupler and all will be golden?

Yeah, the RJ11 will plug into the RJ45. It quite likely can damage the outer pins of the RJ45 since the plastic body of the RJ11 will be pushing on the two outer pins. This could be an issue if you ever planned to re-use the waterproof RJ45 housing for actual RJ45 ethernet cables - which seems unlikely based on your intended use. Just a 'detail' to stash away in the back of your noggin :)

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom