Looking for 80 series front axle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone got any leads on a front axle and any or all front suspension parts. Going to start gathering parts to convert my 70 to coils. thanks

Anyone got any leads on a front axle and any or all front suspension parts. Going to start gathering parts to convert my 70 to coils. thanks

There's a guy in the classified sections @Deathvalleypaul who seems to have a lot of 80 series stuff for sale. Given his screen name I am assuming is in So-Cal

Check out Jason’s products for the 60. Might work?

@saltycoconuts opposite, I'll do mine and work out all the kinks and then we'll knock yours out. Looks like I found someone that will cut off all the brackets and parts i need off a salvaged 80 and send them to me. There seems to be a good bit of interest in 70 series coil conversion kit, and no one has tackled that yet, which I am surprised by. Going to start a thread and see if its possible to make this into a kit that could be reproduced using as much 80 parts as possible. I'll let you know when I am balls deep in it, come by and check it out.

@saltycoconuts opposite, I'll do mine and work out all the kinks and then we'll knock yours out. Looks like I found someone that will cut off all the brackets and parts i need off a salvaged 80 and send them to me. There seems to be a good bit of interest in 70 series coil conversion kit, and no one has tackled that yet, which I am surprised by. Going to start a thread and see if its possible to make this into a kit that could be reproduced using as much 80 parts as possible. I'll let you know when I am balls deep in it, come by and check it out.

I’ll definitely come by. I will start my gathering of parts. I may look into new 70 series buckets and mounts for the coil front ends. Not sure the extra width of the 80 axle is needed. Either way it’ll be cool to watch.

Oh no im not using the 80 series axle just bits from it to swap over to the 70 axle, 80 axle is too wide. Using Ian's thread as a guide, many ways to go about sourcing the parts, most of the brackets toyota sells new still, through partsoque and the like, they are not cheap though, and with COVID, don;t want to deal with international shipping. From Ian's experience, basically need to convert everything to 80 series except the width of the axle. Best bet would be to find front half of an 80. It will be some work cutting things out but in the end I think it will be the most cost effective approach, we'll see.

Oh no im not using the 80 series axle just bits from it to swap over to the 70 axle, 80 axle is too wide. Using Ian's thread as a guide, many ways to go about sourcing the parts, most of the brackets toyota sells new still, through partsoque and the like, they are not cheap though, and with COVID, don;t want to deal with international shipping. From Ian's experience, basically need to convert everything to 80 series except the width of the axle. Best bet would be to find front half of an 80. It will be some work cutting things out but in the end I think it will be the most cost effective approach, we'll see.

Ahh I see. Ian’s a godsend with his threads haha. I guess it’ll be cheaper with the 80 parts. I thought maybe the new 70 stuff would be cheaper but I guess not.

The fun has begun, scabbed a bunch of parts off an 80, got some more coming from dave at japan 4x4, started to burn off the leaf spring brackets. Burned a hole in my shoe and decided to call it a night.

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

Love that shop!

@saltycoconuts don't jump on that just yet, the deeper I get the more obvious it is the 80 stuff won't work that well on the 70. Having never owned a 60 so I can't compare exactly, but if its anything like the 80, it is quite a bit different then the 70, and would require a great deal of fab for those parts to work on the 70 frame, especially with the RHD. Been meaning to start a separate thread, but waiting until I get a little more progress. I ended up going Ian's route and ordered a bunch of the bracketry off the 79, waiting for it to come in so I could really compare side to side to the 80 stuff. I'll let you know when i get some parts in and have it somewhat mocked up so you can come by and check it out.

Thats just the suspension brackets, I am using all 80 series parts for the outers of the axle, which is so much more beef then the 70, check out the comparison of the knuckle balls, 80 series is almost an inch larger.

All and all its a pretty big undertaking with a lot of fab, you could still get the 79 axle housings from japan for about $1000 plus shipping, which would save a lot of time in fab, but you wouldn;t have the flexibility in setting up all the angles specific to your setup.

IMG_1789.jpg

@badsamaritan I am actually converting the rear of my 70 to 80 series brakes also which uses different style hubs then a 70 series, see picture for comparison, the 80 series mounting flange is pushed out about an 1" more, and the rotors are different. So I have my old 70 series hubs you can have, but not sure if that will work for you. You will also need new backing plates. I have it all apart right now, and have all the parts laid out, if you want to come by and check it out.

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

With the flange being different, you need different axles as well?

No the overall hub dimensions are the same just the flange is In a different spot, so in my case it will widen the track width by about 2 inches

Hey Loober, did you ever make a separate thread to log the rest of your conversion? I'm also thinking about doing this conversion, so being about to see how you decided to do yours would be a GREAT help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom